Shorten a cable

WillFromGA

I just purchased the Audio Technica ath-m50's and it is the straight cable version. The cable is 11ft. in length. That is about 7ft. too long. What is the best way to shorten the cable?

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Cut it at the length you need and cap the cut end?

Is it that easy? Would I use electrical tape to seal up the cable?

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

Can you not just loop the spare length up a bit and secure the loop with electrical tape? That's what I would do as I've never attempted to re-attach cables to plugs apart from actual electrical 3 pin plugs ;)

If I remember correctly you have to solder the wires to the jack then yoh can cover it with electrical tape.

@178Sonic I believe you have experience with this? :P

Wouldn't it be nicer to just loop it together and tape it? 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Can you not just loop the spare length up a bit and secure the loop with electrical tape? That's what I would do as I've never attempted to re-attach cables to plugs apart from actual electrical 3 pin plugs ;)

Well, i also want to go portable with them as well as at my desk. Having a big loop would look weird and just feel weird in my pocket.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Instead is ruining the included cable, why not just buy a shorter cable?

I just purchased the Audio Technica ath-m50's and it is the straight cable version. The cable is 11ft. in length. That is about 7ft. too long. What is the best way to shorten the cable?

If you can, return it and get the coiled version, its what i have and its about 3-3and a half feet long while its coiled

If you can, return it and get the coiled version, its what i have and its about 3-3and a half feet long while its coiled

I bought it off of Ebay for a really good price. For $80, I'll just wrap it up.

My Computer

Beef Cake

Instead is ruining the included cable, why not just buy a shorter cable?

It's not a detachable cable.

My Computer

Beef Cake

I bought it off of Ebay for a really good price. For $80, I'll just wrap it up.

ah. i wish i had the straight cable considering mine is hardly ever unplugged from my PC. I would not attempt to cut it, It would look less elegant and i wouldnt want to risk breaking a new investment. maybe if the cord ever goes out, try to do the detachable cable mod? thats my plan

No you can't do that. You need to solder the wires back on the jack but most likely, the jack it came with is not useable and the wire are likely coated so you need to sand them down to get a good surface. Easiest is just to make a completely new cable and solder it on. Obviously if you just bundle it all together it would be even simpler. 

If I remember correctly you have to solder the wires to the jack then yoh can cover it with electrical tape.

@178Sonic I believe you have experience with this? :P

Please don't remind me T.T Worst soldering experience of my life (cries in a corner)

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...

Also I wouldn't recommend shortening the cable due to the fact that over time that can develop into interference, just get a  zip tie and bundle up what you don't need. Trust me, it's not worth it to shorten it by cutting the cable.

I fix computers and computer accessories... sometimes... when I want to...