Makers of Violent Video Games May Face Additional Tax

TechFan@ic

US Vice President Joe Biden after a meeting yesterday claimed that there’s no legal obstacle to an initiative that would see violent content creators being hit with an additional tax, saying

there is no restriction on the ability to do that, there’s no legal reason why they couldn’t

This suggestion of additional tax was put forward by Franklin Graham, son of the evangelist Billy Graham and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.
The meeting also included Barrett Duke, the vice president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, the Southern Baptist Convention’s public policy arm, Bruce Reed, Biden’s chief of staff, and Melissa Rogers, the director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, according to people who attended.

So as things stand, seems like there is a growing support of video game industry taxation by a number of special interest groups on capitol hell ( I intentionally misspelled that).

What do you guys think ? this seems to me like another push for politicians to secure a small piece of the massive gaming industry pie.

when are they going to introduce the stupid person tax... 

why only target video games T_T so annoying how the media does this ever few months 

Character artist in the Games industry.

US Vice President Joe Biden after a meeting yesterday claimed that there’s no legal obstacle to an initiative that would see violent content creators being hit with an additional tax, saying

This suggestion of additional tax was put forward by Franklin Graham, son of the evangelist Billy Graham and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

The meeting also included Barrett Duke, the vice president of the Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission, the Southern Baptist Convention’s public policy arm, Bruce Reed, Biden’s chief of staff, and Melissa Rogers, the director of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, according to people who attended.

So as things stand, seems like there is a growing support of video game industry taxation by a number of special interest groups on capitol hell ( I intentionally misspelled that).

What do you guys think ? this seems to me like another push for politicians to secure a small piece of the massive gaming industry pie.

But what is "violent" Mario Brothers is potentially "violent" you know? I mean everyday life is "violent". Your cat is "violent". Come on people. What about movies? It's okay for movies to be violent because watching movies is accepted in modern day society right? But for these old men who know nothing of video games to meddle with these kinds of things without feedback from the people besides angry soccer mom's who buy their kids Call of Duty and think nothing of it until they see the airport scene.

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

Wheres this "tax" money going?  Programs to disarm people who have guns?  How many of them would voulenteer their time to be told how to change their way of life?  I dont get it.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

Well then they'll have to tax movies, tv shows, and books that feature violence as well.... lol.

Anyhow, they don't need a violence tax, they need to hold parents accountable for teaching their crappy kids right from wrong.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

But what is "violent" Mario Brothers is potentially "violent" you know? I mean everyday life is "violent". Your cat is "violent". Come on people. What about movies? It's okay for movies to be violent because watching movies is accepted in modern day society right? But for these old men who know nothing of video games to meddle with these kinds of things without feedback from the people besides angry soccer mom's who buy their kids Call of Duty and think nothing of it until they see the airport scene.

They're planning to tax violent movies as well. You're absolutely right, it's ridiculous ! just another reason for the dirty politicians to score a few bucks on the lobbyists.

What's the point of ESRB then? You can't blame the game makers when stupid parents buy games for their kids when it says on the box which age group it should be played by.

They're planning to tax violent movies as well. You're absolutely right, it's ridiculous ! just another reason for the dirty politicians to score a few bucks.

Yeah exactly. You know what's violent? When police officers beat the shit out of some dude for no tangible reason, all in the sake of "self defense" and they get away with it too. God forbid the man they accuse is black, it's life in prison for him

OS - Windows 8.1 Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 Processor - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition RAM - 16GB 2x8 Crucial Ballistix Sport Graphics Card - Gigabyte Windforce 2 OC GTX 660 Power Supply - Corsair CX750M CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X60 Wireless Adapter - ASUS PCE-N15 PCI-E Adapter Fans - x3 Masscool blue LED 120mm Fans Case - Fractal Design Define R4

Monitor - Dell S2230MX 21.5-inch Keyboard - Logitech G105 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech Z130 Headsets/Headphones - Tt eSports Shock, AKG K240, California Headphones Laredo Phone - iPhone 4S

What's the point of ESRB then? You can't blame the game makers when stupid parents buy games for their kids when it says on the box which age group it should be played by.

This This and Did I mention...Totally THIS!

Being the AGE demographic has been getting higher and higher in the last ten years,..Adults Ruining it for Adults "Providing for our kids" MY ASS! Its revenue plain and simple!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Is the government getting stupider and stupider? Oh wait that isn't a question, that's a fucking fact. For god sake man if video games are the source of our problems, wouldn't like everyone be pill munching hippies like PacMan was. 

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

This This and Did I mention...Totally THIS!

Being the AGE demographic has been getting higher and higher in the last ten years,..Adults Ruining it for Adults "Providing for our kids" MY ASS! Its revenue plain and simple!

They should fine those people instead. Also, the retailers that allow those people to buy the games since they don't enforce it even when their kid is clearly standing right next to them.

But for these old men who know nothing of video games to meddle with these kinds of things without feedback from the people besides angry soccer mom's who buy their kids Call of Duty and think nothing of it until they see the airport scene.

What are you talking about these people know their jobs really well... just like how the person who was in charge of regulating the internet knew perfectly how the internet worked...

series-of-tubes.jpg

As tabuburn has said, that's what the ESRB is for, if you buy Call of Duty for a 13 year old and then you're amazed when you her him swearing at other players, you have nobody to blame but yourself for being a bad parent and the same applies for violence. Adding tax on violent games will benefit nobody but the politicians...

What are you talking about these people know their jobs really well... just like how the person who was in charge of regulating the internet knew perfectly how the internet worked...

series-of-tubes.jpg

As tabuburn has said, that's what the ESRB is for, if you buy Call of Duty for a 13 year old and then you're amazed when you her him swearing at other players, you have nobody to blame but yourself for being a bad parent and the same applies for violence. Adding tax on violent games will benefit nobody but the politicians...

LOL ! I absolutely agree, you guys better shows those monkeys in Washington whose the circus boss !

biden needs to shut his HUGE mouth and actually know what he is talking about before he makes a bill to change it. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

when are they going to introduce the stupid person tax... 

You know politicians would never approve a tax that affects them :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Instead of making additional taxes what about actually making 10 year olds not to play M rated games... You have parents complaining about their children playing violent games when they are the ones that buy them.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Instead of making additional taxes what about actually making 10 year olds not to play M rated games... You have parents complaining about their children playing violent games when they are the ones that buy them.

Indeed, what a strange world we live in.

Parents refuse to take responsibility & think that throwing their responsibilities at the government is a good idea, well I disagree I think that throwing your responsibilities away at the government is extremely irresponsible.

You'd think at this time, and in this economy, the US Vice President would have more important things to meet about

Check out my Trading Card Inventory, I probably have that one card you need

Gaming PC  Corsair C70 Arctic White ▪ MSI Z77 MPower ▪ i7-3770k, Core 4.0 GHz ▪ Patriot IEM 4 x 4GB @ 2133MHz ▪ 2 x Palit GTX 670 Jetstreams in SLI, Core 1250 MHz, Mem 3150 MHz ▪ OS on 128GB Samsung 840 Pro ▪ Silverstone ST85F-P w/ Fancy Silverstone Cables

Server ▫ Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ▪ Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 ▪ i5-2500 ▪ Corsair Vengeance 2 x 4GB @ 1600MHz ▪ Asus GTX 550ti ▪ OS on 120GB Samsung 840 ▪ 5.2TB Storage Space ▪ Antex HCG 900

You'd think at this time, and in this economy, the US Vice President would have more important things to meet about

Nothing is more important than money to politicians & lobbyists will surely dump a lot of money to see this go through.

• 2 weeks later...

Video games are in a lot of other countries, do you see mass shootings there because of video games? No. Its a US problem not video game problem

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I'm proud to be an American, but this makes me unproud that they are. 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Relax we all know that this will never happen. Mostly cause Biden never gets anything really done. It's just to stir up the media so Obama has less of the media time running scandal stories.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Video games are in a lot of other countries, do you see mass shootings there because of video games? No. Its a US problem not video game problem

Correction there are shooting in other countries but the news does not report about them.

http://news.yahoo.com/deadliest-mass-shootings-around-world-114808608.html

Also we have more because we have more gun rights. But gun laws don't really stop criminals. Look at Chicago, one of the highest murder rate city in the nation with VERY strict gun laws.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Correction there are shooting in other countries but the news does not report about them.

http://news.yahoo.com/deadliest-mass-shootings-around-world-114808608.html

Also we have more because we have more gun rights. But gun laws don't really stop criminals. Look at Chicago, one of the highest murder rate city in the nation with VERY strict gun laws.

Hopefully this ain't going to be a gun control thread again, we have one of those already. Anyway, everything was so nice and peaceful right? but then the games came in and everyone went mental and started killing people! Looking at you SimCity, making our kids all violent and stuff.

On a more serious note, this ain't gonna pass.

What's considered violent? Pac Man? Crash Team Racing? Spyro? Racing games? This is stupid. If it only goes towards people who make realistic punching/killing violent video games, that would be really dumb.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch