Welp, I got called a RETARD by a friends stepdad....

Shd0w2

A sub 200 dollar modern CPU curb stomps the ever living crap out of a 1.5K "Extreme" edition Pentium from years ago. This guy sounds like a real tool that thinks something that cost a lot ages ago still holds its value and is somehow superior to something more modern. No, just no. I spent over 200usd for my SSD a few years ago and now for that same price, I can get double capacity no problem. Tech changes, shame some parents refuse to.

What @Askew said. When a so obvious it hurts non-tech actually starts insulting your intelligence, they are beyond saving. let him piss away his cash on more hot potato action. You tried your best, OP.

Tell your friend that his stepdad is a retard,

Solved,

He responded saying "My step dad called you a retard because we spent $4000 on that computer" after saying that, he said his step dad also said "HE CAN BUY IT THEN" referring to me.

That's what you get for trying to help people :D

also if they got this guy's stepdad to pay 4k$ for that pc maybe YOU're not the retard of the situation xD

Let him get a 780 and realize it gets capped hard by the rest of the pc, maybe the lesson can be learnt the hard way...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

If he insults you for trying to help him, he is a moron don't help him.

Exactly.... 

Forget the guy go do something you enjoy and you can laugh about his overpriced purchases later. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Okay, I was contacted by an old friend over skype about his stepdad upgrading their old 07' computer. His step-dad was thinking about a $500 graphics card upgrade, which I assume was like a GTX 780. The specs of the computer are 4GB OF RAM, an old Q6600 at 2.4ghz, and an 8800GTX which may or may not be half broken. They had an $800 upgrade max, so, I recommended  instead of upgrading a really old computer with something which won't increase performance without a nice bottleneck and having other things, I said you might be interested in this:

CPU:  AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($114.97 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard:  ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage:  Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.43 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card:  PowerColor Radeon R9 270X 2GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($169.99 @ Newegg) 
Case:  NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.55 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply:  Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $542.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-06-03 15:51 EDT-0400)
I said you could also spend more on other parts if you wanted increased performance, although, keep in mind, this is a family use computer. (some gaming on his part, some minecraft, and other games, even battlefield maybe.)

He responded saying "My step dad called you a retard because we spent $4000 on that computer" after saying that, he said his step dad also said "HE CAN BUY IT THEN" referring to me.

My thoughts are, $4000 for those crappy specs? I could have built that for like 1400 in 2007 I bet, not sure. 
Thoughts?

There are two problems here.

1) your friend's step dad, then and now, seems to be one of those people that could easily be tricked out of money when they don't know about what they are paying for.

2) you made a fundamental mistake in just putting a parts list without giving a detailed performance review of your friend's step dad's PC for them to review.

You gave them a basically a full PC for under a fifth of what it cost him for his. The reason why he probably called you a retard is because he is of the view that the PC is top notch back in 2007 and that is why he paid the $4000 for it and may have just realized that the person who sold it to him, fleeced him of his money.

Believe it or not, "back in the day" it was very easy to over price people for a PC once it had "special" or "custom" parts and it is still that way today but just not as prevalent due to the number of tech forums and build videos you can find on youtube.

I would advise you to not take the insult personally as it is probably be his way of hiding that he was stupid back in 2007.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Im a bit miffed that i did not keep the foxconn motherboard though. Before that i did not know that they were even a thing  :lol:

yup Foxconn is one of the biggest manufacturers of motherboards in Asia. Their based in Taiwan, and their CEO is somewhat of a interesting guy.  

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

yup Foxconn is one of the biggest manufacturers of motherboards in Asia. Their based in Taiwan, and their CEO is somewhat of a interesting guy.

Aren't they the biggest electronics manufacturer in the world?

My ASUS board is from foxconn.

It's not worth the effort, move on with your life, educating people who aren't interested in learning is a waste of everyone's time.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Yes but seeing one with the foxconn branding is pretty rare^^ (at least here in sweden)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Aren't they the biggest electronics manufacturer in the world?

My ASUS board is from foxconn.

Your right they are. They provide parts for motherboards too. 

If all else fails, use actual benchmarks to prove him wrong. Revel in your victory!

I had a Packard Bell computer with a Q6600 CPU once, not going down that route ever again, it got so bad at gaming it burnt out most of computer but there was no fire, just a shock and then it was dead the only thing I could save was the 2 360 GB HHD and they are now dead.

The whole rig cost me £600 at PC World and that was back in 07 too.

Cry Havoc!

:D Lolz! i thought you said 4000$

339acb6b_CharlieMurphyLaugh.gif

Details separate people.

I see you guys are talking crap about the Q6600.

I think you guys are pretty much kinda wrong. The Q6600 is still a great CPU to work with. Heck, I still have one. I don't think it still would bottleneck a 780. I love my Q6600. Your friend's stepdad should love it, and so do you guys.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

You guys are so mean towards the Q6600. Meanies. :(

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Welp, I got called a RETARD by a friends stepdad....

Well, not cool, not cool at all, especially for a grown man to say that to someone.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

@OP

first of all why would your friend tell you that his step dad called you a retard and was being confrontational?

in these kind of situations I would only voice my opinion once and then whomever wants to do what with their money is their choice.

if your friends step dad wants to spend the entire budget on the graphics card then let him......who cares!!!  you voiced your opinion.

It really doesn't matter how much he payed for it because a 500$ graphic card would not be suitable for that PC. There are idiots all around us so just tell him to find someone else to take all of his money and don't be bothered by it.  ;)

It really doesn't matter how much he payed for it because a 500$ graphic card would not be suitable for that PC. There are idiots all around us so just tell him to find someone else to take all of his money and don't be bothered by it.  ;)

I think it is.

Interesting, just don't bother helping them, or let them suffer the bottleneck, it ain't your money, so let the stubborn suffer. But I do find it weird though, since I do help make people budget builds here, and their parents think it is actually better for the price when buying a Pre-built one

Computer Specifications:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite | ADATA XPG SPECTRIX D50 32 GB 3600 MHz | Asus RTX 3060 KO Edition CoolerMaster Silencio S400 Klevv Cras C700 M.2 SSD 256GB 

1TB Crucial MX500 | 1 TB SanDisk SSD Corsair RM650W

Camera Equipment:

Camera Bodies: 

Olympus Pen-F Panasonic GH3 (Retired)

Lenses:

Sigma 30mm F1.4 | Sigma 16mm F1.4 | Sigma 19mm F2.8 | Laowa 17mm F1.8 | Olympus 45mm F1.8

I think it is.

As I understand you are only talking about CPU which may be fine at the moment (still bottleneck if even a little) but there is a bandwidth question when it comes to PCI-e as it is probably 2.0 which will bottleneck a 500$ card, only 4 GB of ram and PSU that might not be able to drive that card. 

As I understand you are only talking about CPU which may be fine at the moment (still bottleneck if even a little) but there is a bandwidth question when it comes to PCI-e as it is probably 2.0 which will bottleneck a 500$ card, only 4 GB of ram and PSU that might not be able to drive that card. 

No. I don't think you're right. A 780 doesn't even saturate 3.0 or 2.0. And you can always upgrade the RAM if you want to.

Though I do not condone the "retard" calling part... or maybe something got lost in translation from your friend to you.  But in case you still want to help while satisfying his stepdad... 

The Q6600 is still a decent performer for "family computer" purpose, and a SSD and Graphics card update (for youtube, hd, hd videos, games) would give it some more life, if the rest of the system doesn't have any issues.  They can start with least a GPU and SSD... they are at least reusable should there be more upgrades.

Just curious, Is it a $4000 system like the Dell XPS 720h2c?  My brother has that (he got a couple refurb for $600 each. Overclocks to 3.2).  Upgraded the graphics card and SSD as soon as he got it 3 years ago and it's runs just as fast as my own 2600K system, even when bf3 maxed out.  

My Rigs (past and present)