Asus GX500: Thin and Light Gaming Notebook with 4K screen.

BallGum

Asus isn't done yet with silly thicknesses. After showcasing the ridiculously thin fanless tablet with Intel's core processors, the T300 Chi, they present us with their 19mm thick, 15 inch gaming notebook, the GX500.

The GX500 weighs in at just 2.2kg, which is somewhat weighty compared to some ultrabooks, but easily manageable. The main talking point, however, is its display. It has a resolution of 3840 by 2160. This results in an insane pixel density of 280PPI.

Unfortunately, the laptop only has an 860M, coupled with a Core i7, powering the display. This won't be enough for playing games at 4K, but you can always play at 1080P, while still enjoying other content, such as videos, at 4K.

There's been no word on pricing, but the laptop should be available in Q3 of this year.

** Link to my site from where this is from: http://theballofgum.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/asus-gx500-thin-and-light-gaming.html **

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

Please remove the 2 asterisks from your URL.

Thanks

There's just no way a laptop can drive "gaming" at 4k. And specially not with anything less than dual 880M and this thing has an 860M. Now if they just call this a 4k ultrabook, cool, but they HAD to throw in the "gaming".

-------

Current Rig

-------

There's just no way a laptop can drive "gaming" at 4k. And specially not with anything less than dual 880M and this thing has an 860M. Now if they just call this a 4k ultrabook, cool, but they HAD to throw in the "gaming".

I don't mind too much if they release a version that can drive 4K gaming, but even then, I feel that Asus is trying to appease the average guy with this notebook.

You can do some gaming at 1080P just fine. And, in addition, enjoy other content at 4K.

I don't mind too much if they release a version that can drive 4K gaming, but even then, I feel that Asus is trying to appease the average guy with this notebook.

You can do some gaming at 1080P just fine. And, in addition, enjoy other content at 4K.

Aye I have no problem with them selling this as a normal ultrabook like that: advertise it's 4k screen and media capabilities and such. But they went out of their way to claim this is a "gaming" notebook, not sure if it's full on Republic of Gamers branding but it looks like it might be.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Aye I have no problem with them selling this as a normal ultrabook like that: advertise it's 4k screen and media capabilities and such. But they went out of their way to claim this is a "gaming" notebook, not sure if it's full on Republic of Gamers branding but it looks like it might be.

I think it is RoG branded.

Perhaps, but if the user isn't intended to do any gaming, the 860M seems a little overkill. I think the OP had the right idea: 1080p gaming on a 4K screen should look pretty good, but the 4K resolution can be for doing everything else. 

Without a doubt they intend this notebook to be used at 1080p for gaming and UHD for everything else. Beyond the fact this resolution is the minimum accepted "UHD" it scales perfectly with 1080p so gaming in that resolution will not cause any problems which is great! The 15" display at 1080p will have a huge 146.86DPI ~15DPI higher than the next best thing in this class at it's "Gaming" resolution of 1600x900 (Razer Blade) so I'm pretty excited for this.

I am a little less excited about the 860M seeing as the GX500 is a bit thicker and a whole inch wider than the Blade which has managed to fit a 870M in it. Not to mention this will be released half a year later than the blade (IIRC) and has a higher gaming resolution. I wonder if there is any chance they will rethink that before release?

I'm interested in seeing the price, hoping the "ROG" tax isn't as high as the Razer tax haha, I have a feeling it isn't.

1.Gaming

2.Laptop

3. 4K

Let that sync in before thinking any futher..mhm strong retard.Not even our kickass systems can do 4K properly and then a laptop, ook.They are trying to hard to make big news at Computex,they should make stuff that actually works first.

You can barely see anything on a 23"+ screen at 4k and then a 15"  :wacko:

People seem to forget that 4K is still scaled absolutely terribly even of fairly large, desktop monitors. This 15 inch 4k panel will be UNUSABLE on windows, either extremely muddy or tiny text and icons. 4K is overkill for mobile laptops simply due to screen size; 300 ppi is meant to be the sweet spot for phones but i have yet to see anyone using a gaming laptop as close to their face as a phone would be.

Surely R&D into useful features, like battery and performance, isn't too much to ask?

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

If I had something like this I would honestly run it at 1440p for everything and game on med settings.

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I usually rest my arm on my leg while browsing on my phone which is about the same distance my screen is from my face right now. I imagine a laptop screen would be closer, I'm using a monitor.

Scaling is software, for all we know by the time this is released most the common issues could be sorted out. That said although I've only ever used a display UHD laptop in a store things seemed very readable a touch on the small side but still decent so I'm not too worried. But as these displays become more popular developers will fix scaling issues.

1.Gaming

2.Laptop

3. 4K

Let that sync in before thinking any futher..mhm strong retard.Not even our kickass systems can do 4K properly and then a laptop, ook.They are trying to hard to make big news at Computex,they should make stuff that actually works first.

You can barely see anything on a 23"+ screen at 4k and then a 15" :wacko:

Game at 1080P and enjoy correct scaling for that.

Watch videos and such at 4K and enjoy the nice resolution for that.

The scaling issues should be solved as time goes on and 4K is more common. Putting down a new product for having a 4K screen isn't really going to help that :D

4K again? Pointless. Good luck running, for example, The Witcher 3 @30fps on native res. Insane and pointeless. You can downscale and yada yada, but a 15'' desktop at 4K will be painfull to read as well, so you'll never run that monitor at that res... Focus on more important things, like lower latency on IPS monitors, or trying to reach 120Hz or something. Not this e-penis resolution contest!

4K again? Pointless. Good luck running, for example, The Witcher 3 @30fps on native res. Insane and pointeless. You can downscale and yada yada, but a 15'' desktop at 4K will be painfull to read as well, so you'll never run that monitor at that res... Focus on more important things, like lower latency on IPS monitors, or trying to reach 120Hz or something. Not this e-penis resolution contest!

"resolution is just a number" ?