No Microsoft Start Menu for Windows 8 until 2015

nfsundergroundd

No Microsoft Start Menu for Windows 8 until 2015 kstar.gifkstar.gifkstar.gifkstar.gif

Uh-oh ... In a report from it is mentioned that it's looking like Microsoft's new 'mini' Start Menu for Windows 8.x won't be part of Windows 8.1 Update 2 as originally planned. Right now it looks like a 2015 feature. This means Microsoft won't be delivering a new Start Menu for Windows 8 with its coming Windows 8.1 Update 2.

That recent change in plans comes courtesy of a couple of my sources who've had good track records on Windows information, here's the skinny directly from ZDNet, Mary Jo Foley (see source link):

Up until recently, Microsoft was hoping to make a new "Mini" Start Menu part of a second update to Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 Update 2 was -- and still is, last I heard -- slated to arrive in August of this year.

Microsoft's operating systems group has decided to hold off on delivering a Microsoft-developed Start Menu until Threshold, the next "major" release of Windows. Threshold, which may or may not ultimately be called Windows 9, is expected to be released in April 2015. I'm not clear whether the postponement is because the feature won't be fully baked in time, or if there's another reason for the change in plans.

hell yeah!

Why the Hell would you need fucking start menu. just right click on start icon :D

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

keeping with their trend of skipping every other version

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I have a start menu all right... If only that was the biggest problem in Win 8. It's not that bad though, I'm used to it now.

Like there arent 100 3rd party start menus already.

WTF any good coder could make a start menu in no time,and M$ with infinite funds and coders,with tons of experience in previous start menus they cant make one till next year.

I cant even take this serious get outta here....

M$ with infinite funds and coders,with tons of experience in previous start menus they cant make one till next year.

Unwilling to ≠ Unable to

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

hell yeah!

Why the Hell would you need fucking start menu. just right click on start icon :D

The point of the start menu is we don't want to use the metro bullshit screen.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I was genuinely surprised people even cared about the Start menu.

Of all the years I have ever used Windows I rarely ever use the Start menu, I pin the programs I use to the Taskbar and that's how I start programs, I can go weeks and weeks without ever opening the Start menu, only ever opening it to Shut Down.

If I ever want anything I don't use often then I tap Start > type what I want > hit Enter, this works in 8 the same as 7 and Vista.

Windows 8 erred in forcing you to boot to the Start screen but 8.1 thankfully fixed that, and now whenever I use it, it is just the same as Windows 7 to me, but with a much better Explorer.

I was genuinely surprised people even cared about the Start menu.

Of all the years I have ever used Windows I rarely ever use the Start menu, I pin the programs I use to the Taskbar and that's how I start programs, I can go weeks and weeks without ever opening the Start menu, only ever opening it to Shut Down.

If I ever want anything I don't use often then I tap Start > type what I want > hit Enter, this works in 8 the same as 7 and Vista.

Windows 8 erred in forcing you to boot to the Start screen but 8.1 thankfully fixed that, and now whenever I use it, it is just the same as Windows 7 to me, but with a much better Explorer.

There are PLENTY of other shit problems with W8 than that.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

did you read what he said?

RIGHT clicking wont take you to metro, it will show all the same things as win7 start menu and MORE, only thing missing is recent apps... :)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

Well isn't that crap tastic. I guess staying with windows 7 tell they add it.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I am not using start menu and also I am not using metro screen. Everything I do is trough key shortcuts. It is also faster than clicking. It may be not convenient to everyone as you fort have to remember which key shortcut to press and what it will do but then it is great!

did you read what he said?

RIGHT clicking wont take you to metro, it will show all the same things as win7 start menu and MORE, only thing missing is recent apps... :)

He CLEARLY asked "Why the Hell would you need fucking start menu".

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

He CLEARLY asked "Why the Hell would you need fucking start menu".

we already got the functions of one (except recent used apps) its just not the same button and not as pretty :)

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

So if you build it...they didn't come, but if you piss em the fuck off enough by moving the fucking carrot further away, surely they WILL come!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yeah, it was probably a bad idea to delete all the source code relating to the start menu from the previous versions but hey those torrents weren't going to make a space for themselves.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Honestly could care less about the start menu now, windows 8 has been out for almost two years now. IMO just use windows 8.1 and some kind of third party start menu app, other than that the metro ui has grown on me. 

Main Rig: Cpu: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x @ 4.60Ghz 1.2V | Motherboard: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII FORMULA | RAM: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133Mhz | GPU: Powercolor RADEON RX6900XT Liquid Devil  | Case: XFORMA MBX MKII | Storage: Samsung 840 256GB/Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | PSU: Corsair Hx850i | Cooling: Custom loop with gentle typhoons | 

I had a start menu in windows 8 in 2012 :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

No Windows 8 for me until at least 2015 then...

Come on Microsoft, what's your problem? It's like you are deliberately trying to piss people off now.

OP it seems like you forgot to post the source link.

Everyone in this thread sounds like an elderly person unwilling to change.

I like Metro TBH after a month of using it its a lot quicker than the start menu ever was.  Also if you dont want to use Metro just download a free program to reinstate it for you. Or pay a small amount for Start8 (the best one imo)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I like the ModernUI(Metro).
Especially while I'm in a game I can access my stuff way easier without having to change to windowed mode.
Even if they bring back the start menu I will use ModernUI instead because it's way better to use while gaming.

RTX2070OC 

r8NT7s6.png

Dat start function. 

How hard is it to code this in, Microsoft?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx