TotalBiscuit's Great Framerate Non-Debate

Alot of points about how 30 fps is bad and I will never play a PC game@30 fps if i can run it at higher. it's horrible to play and feels laggy. I might go to ps4/xbone if i can choose my fps for a "worse" looking game like he said they should be doing. 

And there a small shout out to Linus's new framrate video at the end. go linus

Here is TotalBiscuit"s take on the whole "FPS is just a number" debate. Also Linus already did a "Fast As Possible" on this topic and talked about it on the recent WAN Show. Basically they both say the same, but I feel that TB's take on this is a more complete version of a PC gamer's/enthusiast's thoughts about a topic that should not be one in the first place. Personally, I agree a 100% and I wish that the industry changes very much, very soon in this regard.

Fast as Possible: Monitor & TV Refresh Rates

The WAN Show: 30/05/12 - Starting at 4:15 with "Watch Dogs And AMD Users" (Graphics Performance Debate)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B565kxWUrN8=4m15s

Edited by WoodenMarker
merging duplicate news threads

Alot of points about how 30 fps is bad and I will never play a PC game@30 fps if i can run it at higher. it's horrible to play and feels laggy. I might go to ps4/xbone if i can choose my fps for a "worse" looking game like he said they should be doing. 

And there a small shout out to Linus's new framrate video at the end. go linus

your gif though 

ACS Systems - Jason Neal

My "Danger Den" PC: i7-4960x @ 4.5Ghz, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 3x GTX Titan Black, 6x m4 512GB, 64GB Corsair DDR3-2400, Corsair AX1500i

Black Beauty Workstation/LAN PC: i5-4570 @ 3.79 GHz, ASRock Z87E-ITX, XFX Double D R9-280 (Non-X), GSkill 8GB DDR3-2400

lol he links ltt at the end

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Solid 30 fps is better than 80 which drops to 30 twice a minute *yes, Watch Dogs, I'm looking at you*

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

damn you not working search function, sry.

Personal Build Project "Rained-On"

helped building up the CPU Overclocking Database and GPU Overclocking Database, check them out ;)

#KilledMyWife #MakeBombs #LinusIsNotFunny || Please, dont use non-default grey font colors. Think about the night-theme users! ;)

Framerate is just a number.

Regardless, I don't agree with some of the things he says.

I don't think that anything below 60 is unplayable, I myself don't really have a problem with anything above 45 FPS, even if it dips below that for short periods of time.

I would like the option to lock down my framerate to whatever I want, because I would sometimes accept 30FPS solid, or as I said, 45 FPS, to a max 60 but variable framerate.

(I posted this to the repost, so this is a repost of my post to the repost. Yo dawg, heard you like posting...)

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

It was posted a few min ago so you were likely typing and you added some extra links which is nice.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Feel sad for console gamers really, force to play in 30 fps and a fix resolution almost every time even with "next gen" which clearly isn't. And I've heard from total buscuit most controls in console games are not rebindable as gamers like, if that is true, kind feel sorry about them. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Laptop: MSI GE620DX, i72670QM 2.2 Ghz, 8GB 1333mhz Ram, GT555M 2GB DDR3.
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

it's not really tech news so i didn't post it here. at this point, it's more like beating a dead horse.

because I would sometimes accept 30FPS solid, or as I said, 45 FPS, to a max 60 but variable framerate.

30 fps fixed is horrible!!, I've tried that with Resident evil 4, star wars the force unleased ii, and Saints row iv( it is a bug, it is fixed at 30 fps suddenly for one time for whatever reason) with 30 fixed fps on pc. absolutely horrible!! I don't know why console gamers could accept that. And maybe this is one of the reasons why developers are saying 30 fps is fine since most of the console gamers accepted it. But I do agree with you, something bwt 30 fps and 60 fps is still very playable. Although it is kinda hard to accept for a while after you've gone to 60 fps + with some lower end titles. 

-Desktop: Asrock H81M-HDS R2.0, Pentium G3258 4.2 ghz OC, Palit GTX 750 ti StormX, Kingston HyperX Fury 1600 4gb, Seagate Baracuda
-Gaming peripherals: Razer Deathadder 2013, Superlux HD 681 Evo Razer Goliathus Control Medium sizeCm Storm Quickfire TK white edition.

oh that where my post went. i was like wtf where it go.

The Racing game "Split Second" was a great visually pleasing title, locked to 30fps.

There was a "tool" to unlock ot 40fps/50fps/60fps but each added more noticable input lag on top of each previous setting.

Settled with 50fps, got used to the input lag as "racing reaction"

Would have been a very good time waster @ 60fps.

Went back to "SS" recently, supersampled as well as forced AA, looks so good it's a shame it took two years and better GPU's to force a better feature set than when available at the time of release.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I can't believe this is even an argument..

Go play Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis. Tell me, how does it feel when the frames drop, is it just a number then? No. The feel of a game is obvious when there is slow down. That was the early 90's, this is 2014.This is just sad when a dev spews such obvious nonsense in the form of PR. I'm not buying it, neither are smart gamers. A film and a game are not the same genre. To compare both is moot.

Games that act bad above 30fps when unlocked are coded terribly. It's not 30fps being superior for a smoother gameplay in those cases, it's poor programming. Console gamers are spoon-fed a lot of crap and accept it. Console gamers should have the same entitlements PC gamers have. This thing called "options". They should be allowed to tweak settings like PC gamers and be the ones to choose ~30FPS with taxed graphics, or lower graphics for 60FPS.

Ultra settings ~30FPS < High settings 60FPS

I love shiny graphics, but shiny graphics mean crap when the game is laggy.

I don't think that anything below 60 is unplayable, I myself don't really have a problem with anything above 45 FPS, even if it dips below that for short periods of time.

I would like the option to lock down my framerate to whatever I want, because I would sometimes accept 30FPS solid, or as I said, 45 FPS, to a max 60 but variable framerate.

(I posted this to the repost, so this is a repost of my post to the repost. Yo dawg, heard you like posting...)

He agrees with you there?

He just says that because of the way monitors work, the fps should generally be in multiples of thirty, and since 30 is unplayable the fps should be at 60.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

30 fps fixed is horrible!!, I've tried that with Resident evil 4, star wars the force unleased ii, and Saints row iv( it is a bug, it is fixed at 30 fps suddenly for one time for whatever reason) with 30 fixed fps on pc. absolutely horrible!! I don't know why console gamers could accept that. And maybe this is one of the reasons why developers are saying 30 fps is fine since most of the console gamers accepted it. But I do agree with you, something bwt 30 fps and 60 fps is still very playable. Although it is kinda hard to accept for a while after you've gone to 60 fps + with some lower end titles. 

I disagree, if it's stuck at 30FPS and doesn't go up or down then I can't really notice a difference between 30 and 60. At least I can't notice a big enough one for me to call it horrible, and I've noticed that I get used to the lack of frames after ten minutes of swallowing my master race pride.

If I'm playing at 60 and it drops to 30, that's really bad, and 60 FPS does feel more fluid but if it's a stable FPS I'm fine with 30-60.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

You properly didn't watch the entire video then, because he said that if you want to play at 30 fps then you can go nuts with the settings etc. its your choice at which you play at. On PC you have the choice do you want higher graphics at the expense of frame rate or do you want smoother game play at the expense of graphic fidelity.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

I disagree, if it's stuck at 30FPS and doesn't go up or down then I can't really notice a difference between 30 and 60. At least I can't notice a big enough one for me to call it horrible, and I've noticed that I get used to the lack of frames after ten minutes of swallowing my master race pride.

If I'm playing at 60 and it drops to 30, that's really bad, and 60 FPS does feel more fluid but if it's a stable FPS I'm fine with 30-60.

ehh, no actually, it is not "locked" 30 fps all the time, sometimes it would drop below 30. I bet the same thing happen in the "next gen" consoles. ANd it has happened before in last gen, when I play bf3 and other mp games with my friends on ps3, the frame rate would drop below 30 and it is very noticeable. They are not "locked" in 30 fps actually, they are limited at 30 fps. Locked at 30 fps no up and down, yeah, they "wish". That is why I said it is terrible. 

ehh, no actually, it is not 30 fps all the time, sometimes it would drop below 30. I bet the same thing happen in the consoles. They are not locked in 30 fps actually, they are limited at 30 fps. Many people know this. 

Yes but I said if it didn't drop...

Yes but I said if it didn't drop...

Then why did you disagree with me, it is something horrible for gaming  no doubt, lol. 

Then why did you disagree with me, it is something horrible for gaming  no doubt, lol. 

After I reread it I don't really know why I did, I must have changed my opinion half way through the reply

After I reread it I don't really know why I did, I must have changed my opinion half way through the reply

You need some chocolate drink to relax yourself :P