TotalBiscuit's Great Framerate Non-Debate

Personally, FPS well i have fairly old hardware i dont hate 30fps, i like 60 or anything above it  (which are needed in simulators, iRacing for example and i can reach it) I dont give a damn if something runs 30 fps or 60 fps or whatever, because well even 30 i propably would go under that, Its opinion, some people like it some dont. You should not call someone an idiot or stupid for it.

My PC:

Spoiler

MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050ti D5 4G, Ram: 16GB (2x8) HyperX Fury DDR4, Case: NZXT S340, Psu: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W , HDD's: WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 256GB Scorpio Blue, WD 2TB Caviar Blue  SSD: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240Gb

I play at 120 and 144... This 30 fps next gen stuff makes me sad.

Least I can use the money I saved for my holiday

I don't like total biscuit but this is probably one of his most more enjoyable videos

Personally, FPS well i have fairly old hardware i dont hate 30fps, i like 60 or anything above it  (which are needed in simulators, iRacing for example and i can reach it) I dont give a damn if something runs 30 fps or 60 fps or whatever, because well even 30 i propably would go under that, Its opinion, some people like it some dont. You should not call someone an idiot or stupid for it.

If its someone's opinion that the world is flat you wouldn't call them out for it?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but when it is refuted by science you should educate them on it.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

For me i prefer higher frame rate 60 fps being optimal on my 60 hz monitor. I play MMOs and when u set ur resolution and other graphics settings most of the time u in a place where nothing is happening, but then u get into a raid where there are 20+ people all casting and attacking this makes my framerate drop like mad and from my experience i would rather play with 500ms latency than with 30 and below fps.

As for filmic that just a load of rubbish. It took film makers year to perfect the way the film at 24 fps, how quickly to pan and zoom shoot, how quickly to do just enough movement to get the right amount of motion blur.

For a non-debate this certainly gets quite a lot of debate. I'd like to add to it just a little.

We should all know by now why traditional 24fps looks great at the cinema. The motion looks natural because our brains are doing most of the work. Overuse of 3D and CGI aside. This is a pretty good way of watching films - movement looks natural.

I really don't like how the developer made the point about HDTV looking 'animated' or 'unnatural' as this stems mostly from interpolation. A technique used by manufacturers to artificiality increase the refresh rate. This is used because LCD technology is / was inherently inferior to PLASMA / CRT in a couple of respects. Although it's improved greatly, the response time of Pixels are terrible on LCD when compared with other screen types. This caused serious motion blur / smearing issues on LCDs and was a major issue with fast repetitive movement or panning shots. The manufacturers tried to solve this by artificially creating extra frames to 'predict movement'. It's this that gives the unnatural look, and not the increased frame-rate.

At the end of the day, it seems the developer just threw a bunch of misinformation at his potential customers just to confuse the issue. Which is disappointing because getting a cinematic look and feel in a game is actually not a bad goal. With tight control of camera angles and movement, 30 fps would be ok for a 'cinematic' game, that doesn't require insane responsiveness. Which I think is what he should have said.

He agrees with you there?

He just says that because of the way monitors work, the fps should generally be in multiples of thirty, and since 30 is unplayable the fps should be at 60.

I would love to see a xbox/ps4 game run at 90 fps then.

Personally i'm fine with anything above 15 as long as it's consistent.

If the frame rate varies wildly between 60 and 45 i find it a lot more annoying than constant 30 for example.

As someone with a not not so great PC I don't mind not being able to play at 60 FPS. But I always sacrifice visuals for smoother gameplay. Total Bisucit's proposition is nice for consoles but what would be better is if game developers built their game from ground up with the intention of keeping 60 FPS instead of treating FPS as the most acceptable part of the game to sacrifice.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.