Antlion Modmic 4.0

Going to take a look, I really never considered modmics. 

Dat dance earned a like :D (the review was great, too)

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI Z97 G55 SLI | RAM: Crucial Low Profile Dual Channel 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: XFX 6950 2GB (Crossfire) | Case: Rosewill Blackhawk | HDD 1, 2 & Ext. HDD: WD 1TB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB Seagate External | PSU: EVGA 850W 80+Gold | Fans: One Blue LED Rosewill 140 mm fan, Two Blue LED Rosewill 120 mm fans, One Cooler Master 120mm Green LED Case Fan with Rosewill Fan Filter | CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid CPU Cooler | Keyboard: Corsair RGB K70 MX Browns | Mouse: Corsair RGB M65 [black] | SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | Display: HP x20 LED | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohms | DAC:  Fiio E10 | Microphone: Blue Snowball (iCE) | Speakers: Logitech z313

Wow. I have never heard a mic that good for a "gaming headset" I am thinking about one instead of my blue yeti.

tons of tiny zip ties is the solution

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

One question about this: Will it work if i use a y-splitter (headphone and mic in) and plug in a pair of A40's and this modmic to the astro mixamp? I'm guessing it would but better safe than sorry. 

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

Great product but i wouldn't pay more than 20 for a microphone. I don't really use mics so much and my friends don't care about audio quality. 

I've heard that the 4.0's quality is greatly dependent on the hardware/software that's driving it. In Tek Syndicates review they used a fancy microphone interface rather than what most people would use. What did you use with the test clip?

One question about this: Will it work if i use a y-splitter (headphone and mic in) and plug in a pair of A40's and this modmic to the astro mixamp? I'm guessing it would but better safe than sorry. 

I think it's going to work but why you want to use a splitter? You will end up with the whole cable of the modmic hanging from your headset. (The astros have a detachable mic, right?) You will just connect the mic to the headphones. I am not sure though, because i am not familiar with the astro products. 

I've heard that the 4.0's quality is greatly dependent on the hardware/software that's driving it. In Tek Syndicates review they used a fancy microphone interface rather than what most people would use. What did you use with the test clip?

I used the cheapo USB sound card that came bundled with the ATH-AG1s

I sold my Logitech G930 on friday (software and usb issues all the time). This Video has perfect timing. Now I'm gonna get one these and probably some Audio Technica ATH-M50X or just M50.. depending on discounts ^^

@LinusTech

I sat down and had Coffee with the creator/owner of Antlion/Modmic here in Portland a few months ago to pick up an older version and talk shop. Was a great discussion, and the guy was awesome! So much of his plans were based off of trying to fill a need with a great product.

Will be buying one of these for sure. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I think it's going to work but why you want to use a splitter? You will end up with the whole cable of the modmic hanging from your headset. (The astros have a detachable mic, right?) You will just connect the mic to the headphones. I am not sure though, because i am not familiar with the astro products. 

mic is detachable but it isn't a 3.5mm, ill have to research a bit

EDIT: It seems that the mic jack is 3.5mm, i tested by plugging in the A40's 3.5mm

Edited by CYaN_Bob

Anime Addict |  My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZGrQxr

I've been looking up to this product for a while because i wanted to buy a open back headphone (AKG Q701). Has anyone had any experience with this mic combined with an open back headphone? Will the sound from the open backness(?) of the headphone be picked up by the mic?

I've been looking up to this product for a while because i wanted to buy a open back headphone (AKG Q701). Has anyone had any experience with this mic combined with an open back headphone? Will the sound from the open backness(?) of the headphone be picked up by the mic?

I have a friend who uses open back headphones with a studio condenser mic. which is pretty damn sensitive and while there is a little bit of bleeding, it's only when the in game sound is loud (sudden explosion or something) or when someone in our Raid Call channel decides to shout. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

Wow 50 bucks for a microphone, that's quite a lot for a microphone that size.

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

I have this exact setup (Okay, I have the Q701's older brother, the K702, but they're nearly identical). It works perfectly. You won't be able to flick the mic up though.

tons of tiny zip ties is the solution

But then it isnt removable, so then I cannot take my headphones out with me

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

yeah antlion mod mic is cool and all but i prefer spoon mod mic

That is probably the most ghetto thing i have ever laid my eyes on.