Antlion Modmic 4.0

I have this exact setup (Okay, I have the Q701's older brother, the K702, but they're nearly identical). It works perfectly. You won't be able to flick the mic up though.

Oh,nice thanks for the info.

But then it isnt removable, so then I cannot take my headphones out with me

small clips on the mod mic cable like the ones on ear buds but more of them 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

https://www.laminator.com/spiral-coil-binding-supplies-6mm-1-4-inside-diameter.html

These work GREAT for binding the mic cable to the headphone cable. These are easy to cut into short pieces for binding the cable... and they are very inexpensive.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

So I'm using the Zalman ZM-1 mic, and when this guy dies.. I'll definitely get one of these I think.

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844

This isn't strictly about the product, but about the video.

Where did you get one of those model heads from? Are they just the cheap polystyrene (no, it's not Styrofoam, it's polystyrene, the actual name of it and not a brand name) from Amazon and just spray painted? I want one of those, (but I need a sturdier base) 

I'm really considering one of these, but the international shipping and import makes it feel pretty expensive to me.

I'll have a look around for some other mics, I don't mind having something on my Desk, and then make a decision I think.

But I agree the cable thing is the one thing they need to fix. With my current Desk config, my headphone cable goes past my Keyboard. When I made a more ghetto velcro version of this, the cables getting caught up and being a pain was the biggest problem.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

Linus can you add to the sound cloud files the sound from your studio mics for comparison?

The review was great as always..... But that dance though!

I've had one of these for a couple of weeks already. Pretty satisfied with it. :) They also have great customer service from what I've experienced.

I have the mod mic 2.1 I just twirl the cable for the mod mic with the cable for my headset and it acts as one cable I never touched it after I did it. It really solves that problem completely for me.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

I have the mod mic 2.1 I just twirl the cable for the mod mic with the cable for my headset and it acts as one cable I never touched it after I did it. It really solves that problem completely for me.

Picture of what I do.

post-30437-0-70977600-1401734821_thumb.j

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

Anyone know if there is a way to use this with an xbox 360? I have a set of Sennheiser HD25-ii's that I'd like to use but I haven't figured out a way to hook them up to my xbox. Would an astro mixamp or something like that work?

Hey @LinusTech

Check a look at the v-moda boompro mic,

It hooks to any headphones with removable cable, and is only 30 USD

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401742600&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=boomnpro+mic

pr_boompro_middle_m-100_folded_texture.j

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Wow 50 bucks for a microphone, that's quite a lot for a microphone that size.

The audio test shows that it may well be worth the price. I'd record with that thing.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I'm happy to say that I've purchased a ModMic (thanks to this video) and it has already shipped. Sure they maybe a little expensive, but considering what I paid for my AD700's a few years back, Linus is right in saying that I am fine with the price.

Cheers for the review.

I think it's going to work but why you want to use a splitter? You will end up with the whole cable of the modmic hanging from your headset. (The astros have a detachable mic, right?) You will just connect the mic to the headphones. I am not sure though, because i am not familiar with the astro products. 

My laptop has a headphone/microphone combo jack, so unless I invest in a USB sound card (which I have the USB ports for), I'll need a Y splitter to be able to use it. So for a confirmation before I drop the cash on this, this will DEFINITELY work with a converter, correct?

Anyone know any other software that boost microphone for onboard realtek audio? Max boost is just so quiet with this for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Until I can get it directly via amazon here in Germany I won't buy it.. sadly. From what I heard here the border-control takes up to 3 month to finally pass it on to you and then fines you from 30€ to 80€ in taxes.. I really wish they get another partnership with amazon like with the original v1 modmic :/

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

My laptop has a headphone/microphone combo jack, so unless I invest in a USB sound card (which I have the USB ports for), I'll need a Y splitter to be able to use it. So for a confirmation before I drop the cash on this, this will DEFINITELY work with a converter, correct?

It really should. Totally depends on the quality of the converter I'd say

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

• 1 month later...

I'm really considering one of these, but the international shipping and import makes it feel pretty expensive to me.

Me too that's prolly what is stopping me from buying one now. Stupid company that isn't able to make arrangement with big stores like NCIX in order to have stocks everywhere. 50$USD is already a lot, no way I am gonna pay 12$USD of shipping for something so small and lightweight that prolly cost half of this to ship, then pay on top of that custom fees because they won't lower the value... it's gonna end up around 75$CAD for a tiny plastic microphone that is still made in china by the way so total rip off imo.

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION

I've bought a ModMic 4.0 less than a month ago and used it on my onboard (motherboard) soundcard (Realtek ALC898 chip but same issue happening with others Realtek chips too).

I had a huge problem: ModMic volume was very low AND using "microphone boost" slider created a ton of static noise. It was not usable.

Then I found this video from a guy who had the same issue. He resolved it by using a veeeery cheap USB sound card (2 bucks or less).

I did the same by buying a cheap USB sound card (not same as his) and I solved the problem too!!

Now ModMic 4.0 sounds perfectly and I really love it.

If you plan buying it, remember that onboard sound is NOT ADEQUATE for this microphone but a cheap (less than 3 dollars) USB sound card will fix it.

Video of "the guy who solved the issue":

The cheap USB sound card I bought:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/160612635510?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• 1 month later...

I'd like to get this but no option to buy on Amazon is a deal breaker.

Hey @LinusTech

Check a look at the v-moda boompro mic,

It hooks to any headphones with removable cable, and is only 30 USD

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401742600&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=boomnpro+mic

pr_boompro_middle_m-100_folded_texture.j

Not quite. I considered it but found it wasn't compatible with my HD518's. iirc it was the connector size.