Eurovision starting tomorrow. Who's watching? Now with video explanation for foreigners.

Oh yeah, it's that time of year again. 39 Countries competing in the world's biggest and most watched event (which is also the cheesiest!)

Here's a handy intro to Eurovision for those who don't "get it".

First semifinal is tomorrow, tuesday the 14th, and it will be streamed online from a number of places. Google will help you with that.

Since this is the world's largest televised event, I am taking a wild stab in the dark and assume there are a number of people in this community that'll be watching, if not for the music then for the luls. Are you watching? If so, did you watch it before? And what was your most memorable song from the contest in the history of ever?

Since I am Norwegian, my highlight of Eurovision history is of course winning in 2009 with the record highest score in the entire history of the contest (a record that still stands) and as a bonus, I can still listen to the song without getting sick of it:

Fun fact: if you type nothing but "Eurovision" in the YouTube search field, the Norwegian entry from 2009 is at the top of the results :D

Also: Who will you be voting for? (if you are already sure who it is) I will of course keep an open mind until the final, but I will likely be voting for The Netherlands, because it is actually a mastercrafted song with quite a bit of genius behind it. Go Dutch team!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

its politics with music

12 POINTS

CPU: Intel I5 2500k Cooling:  Custom Loop 200mm+240mm Rad XSPC CPU block + XSPC Titan Block GPU: Zotac 780 MoBo: ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 PSU: Corsiar AX750 Storage: 2x Samsung F3 1Tb 1x Seagate 3TB  1x 128GB SSD Case: Corsair 600t (White)

its politics with music

It is also a lot of countries making asses of themselves with terrible songs and costumes and gimmicks, and an endless font of entertainment. And then there's a couple of good songs of which one will win.

But the voting meta is definitely slightly poisoned by politics... That doesn't detract from it's entertainment value though, unless you actually get your hopes up for winning! The trick is to have low expectations for your own country :P

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Russia should have won last year. Russia's song is pretty good this year too, apparently

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Don't know if malta will even qualify for the final. Probably not though.

Russia should have won last year. Russia's song is pretty good this year too, apparently

You think? The grannies? I love the gimmick / comedy submissions as much as anyone, but it's rare that one wins, and I'm not sure the Russian grannies would be a worthy winner.

Though, I really hated the Swedish song last year, (which won) so I wouldn't have minded personally...

As for this year's Russian entry, I think it is quite a bit too cynical. Diva singing about peace and understanding and coming together as one... Retch :P

Not that many great songs in Malta's semifinal, maybe you'll get through. But that kind of half-acoustic American-ish pop ukulele song went out of fashion quite some time ago, so I don't think it'll be very big. But who knows?

Eurovision is somewhat akin to a religious festival in my family, I love it

"An Excellent Signature"

Eurovision is somewhat akin to a religious festival in my family, I love it

Now that you mention it, I always go to my folks to watch it too, pretty much the only thing that everyone will watch at the same time in a year :P

I live like 25min from the Arena, was supposed to work Security at the event but it seems like I'll be busy with a real full time job. :|

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

Oh yeah, it's that time of year again. 39 Countries competing in the world's biggest and most watched event (which is also the cheesiest!)

Here's a handy intro to Eurovision for those who don't "get it".

First semifinal is tomorrow, tuesday the 14th, and it will be streamed online from a number of places. Google will help you with that.

Since this is the world's largest televised event, I am taking a wild stab in the dark and assume there are a number of people in this community that'll be watching, if not for the music then for the luls. Are you watching? If so, did you watch it before? And what was your most memorable song from the contest in the history of ever?

Since I am Norwegian, my highlight of Eurovision history is of course winning in 2009 with the record highest score in the entire history of the contest (a record that still stands) and as a bonus, I can still listen to the song without getting sick of it:

Fun fact: if you type nothing but "Eurovision" in the YouTube search field, the Norwegian entry from 2009 is at the top of the results :D

Also: Who will you be voting for? (if you are already sure who it is) I will of course keep an open mind until the final, but I will likely be voting for The Netherlands, because it is actually a mastercrafted song with quite a bit of genius behind it. Go Dutch team!

Hello! if you have watched the eurovision you know that there is almost no good songs at all (in my opinion), the 2009 winner was terrible (sorry norway) the 2012 winner was not that great either (sweden). but atleast my country won. My point is that eurovision song contest is just lots of crappy songs competing of which is the least crappy

SORRY! Posted a new post instead of editing my last post :( I call for a delete button!

I live like 25min from the Arena, was supposed to work Security at the event but it seems like I'll be busy with a real full time job. :|

I lived on Malta at the time of last years eurovision. idk wtf is up with Maltese people but I lived on The Strand by Manoel Island and Euphoria was playing in peoples cars CONSANTLY for months. 

That's probably one of the very few things that was annoying on Malta haha, and whenever Italy won a big Football game.

They're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinkin' alone...

BitFenix Prodigy Black / Intel Core i7 3770K / Gigabyte GA-Z77N-WIFI mITX / ASUS GeForce GTX 660Ti DCUII 2GB / Corsair Vengance LP 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz / Corsair SF600 - 600W  / Corsair H70 Push Pull

its politics with music

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I though Malta should have got it last year -_-

Isn't that the competition that Epic Sax Guy came from? Nothing can beat that so....

Yes! That  was the Moldovian entry in Oslo 2010.

I remember me and my brother voted so hard for them just because of the guy with the sax.

SORRY! Posted a new post instead of editing my last post :( I call for a delete button!

I lived on Malta at the time of last years eurovision. idk wtf is up with Maltese people but I lived on The Strand by Manoel Island and Euphoria was playing in peoples cars CONSANTLY for months. 

That's probably one of the very few things that was annoying on Malta haha, and whenever Italy won a big Football game.

I live in a more quiet village but trust me you were lucky that you werne't here when labour(political party) won the elections. XD

I live in a more quiet village but trust me you were lucky that you werne't here when labour(political party) won the elections. XD

Oh lord, I can't imagine how loud that would have been. You Maltese and probably most southern Europeans are LOUD when you celebrate things! 

Anyway, Eurovision will be interesting this year, brand new arena and probably once in a life time experience for me. 

I don't have time to watch the semi-finals but hopefully I can catch the finals. Aussie-Eurovision twitter is the best.

i5 3570k @ 4.1ghz -- Hyper 212 Evo -- NVIDIA GTX670 -- 8gb RAM -- 128gb Samsung 830 -- 256gb Samsung 830 -- 2TB Seagate 7200rpm -- Phantom 410 -- Leopold TKL Brown Switches -- Logitech G600

I remember when one of the members would always play this while raiding in World of Warcraft :D

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

Well for those who didn't watch the first semi final tonight, this didn't go through to the final:

Gutted :(

But all the big favourites went through, including my personal fave, The Netherlands :)

Best song is Danish!!! 

HEJA DANMARK!!!

danmark_57254933.jpg

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJ0V-0AvCs

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjA08nZOhU

Should have won in Sweden just for the WTFs from the rest of Europe.

This time of year again? I've been looking forward for months to watching the overly excited Moldovan woman shout numbers and countries at me!

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014