How do you help your friends and family with computer problems?

orangecat

Lately I have been really lazy and I have been redirecting friends and family to the LLT forums because i'm tired of helping them with basic stuff like my recycle bin is gone. Do you send people here when they need help?

No, i do it myself i enjoy it although my families not constantly needing help

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I only help them if it's not something I've helped with 100 times. Like drag & drop....

Greetings from the Netherlands!

Asus Sabertooth Z77 - Intel Core i7 3770K - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHz 8 GB

I hate giving people in my family help, but unfortunately I've got the reputation for being a 'computer whiz' so I'm the one they go to. If they pay me, I don't mind so much.

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

No, i do it myself i enjoy it although my families not constantly needing help

This

--except when I'm told they want a simpler explanation of how to "just get it done" when I was already doing so.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I hate giving people in my family help, but unfortunately I've got the reputation for being a 'computer whiz' so I'm the one they go to. If they pay me, I don't mind so much.

LOL true I only really help when they can't fix it themselves like their HDD dies or they cant boot anymore.

They usually feed me after or buy me PC stuff after a while so I dont really mind. :) 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

only family, friends already know they need to bring a BigMac 

so long time that I havent heard from them...

But I often log in my Mom's computer to help her, she spents a lot of time in her netbook

so she always gets into troubles.

Im fine with helping but sometimes im not allowed because they don't understand what i'm doing. It does get annoying.

At least i get to lord it over them for sometime afterwards...

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

I like helping them out, especially when it's friends so I can just teamviewer over and do it for them, family tend to want a "dummy" explanation of what was wrong etc. 

The thing I don't like is family offering my services to fix computers without asking me first!  :mellow:

Main PC: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz Corsair H100i V2 | MSI GD65-Z77A | NZXT Tempest 410 Elite | MSI 1080Ti Gaming | Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB @ 1600Mhz | 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Seagate 2TB | Corsair RM650x

99% of the time the problem is they are dumb and won't take the time to learn the basics of operating systems.

For the other 1% of the time I have them get Teamviewer and I just login and fix it.

I used to show them what the issue was, and how to avoid it in the future. Then I realized it was a huge waste of time, as they will not retain the information and will call me for the same thing in the future.

A lot of times I just tell them to google it and figure it out. I used to try and fix every issue when I was a teenager, but now it's just annoying as fuck.

The only person I still help virtually every time is my pops, but that's because he still pays for my greens fees whenever we go golfing. 

I do the little things like, how to backup my mums HDD fortunately my dad is pretty good with tech so she usually just asked him.

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

They usually feed me after or buy me PC stuff after a while so I dont really mind. :)

Yeah same here so I don't mind :D

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

i think when i did deal with that stuff i would just give up. i'm not one for family anyways (at least the american ones). sounds horrible coming from my culture but it is the worst thing to ask for help then reject it when it is given. it is so rude.

My family has gotten better over the years, there was a time when they would not even install a program by without me.  I finally got fed up and went off on them, saying that it's not rocket science and to read what the box says.

once in a while I still get the call about the internet being down, then I tell them to power cycle the router and if that does not work call our ISP

Used to help family and friends when I was younger.

Still help my mom and grandma, but stopped helping friends after I've got calls like: "Hey, you've did something to my computer, now I can't install this pirated game I've just bought." 

"Hey, you've did something to my computer, now I can't install this pirated game I've just bought."

bahahahaha

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

i hate fixing my family's computer problems, because mostly because half my family dosnt believe in me doing it they'd rather take it to the geek squad and my other half i have a stack of 7 laptops to fix for them. oh and my old last gen system my brother fried my old I-7 950 and the 480 sli in it, because he ran the loop dry... 

I just go over and help my family out. My friends already know a lot about computers so they usually only come to me if they are completely stumped (rarely happens). My family on the other hand ie: "Max help me add my friend on my gmail so I can email them." <-Derp

I send them to the Local IT shop they need the work and I dont have the time , most of the time they wont listen to me anyways

Its all about those volumetric clouds

I usually just go over fix whatever the issue is and get paid or a free lunch. I'm the tech savy guy in my family so everyone calls me for help. It gets annoying sometimes but I enjoy it most of the time since I like tinkering around with the technology.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

I use teamviewer to fix problems for my friend who lives in new york.and my parrents as long as they are not too bad

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

My Mum has lived with all my PC'ness before, and has learnt a lot when I was living with her, she can build her own PC easily, would rather fix it herself now than call apon me or my brothers, mothers become a little techie enthusiast herself.

However she still calls me for some things she cant find solutions for.. usually something that requires a hardware change, not that she doesnt watch or try to learn :)

But hey, A Mother who gets it!

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Point and laugh. Point and laugh.

Mostly cause I find it pathetic when my family asks me for tech help, mother did a bachelors in IT and dad did a diploma. 
So of course I charge them for basic assistance and give them free help if its genuinely complicated.
most of my mates aren't techies but so I help them willingly, but only if they're prepared to listen and learn.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I give them my brother in law's phone number.

Honor First!