$200, Bass Head, Go!

Wats

Alright... So I've figured out it's very hard to pick out gear for someone else. In this case, my brother for his bday

Important details:

I have a $200USD budget. I can go a little over.

I'm in South Texas

I can order from anywhere, Amazon preferably.

He listens to Rap and Hip Hop.."For the lyrics" He says. But I know he's going to be disappointed if the sub bass is not banging.

OPEN, he wants to be able to notice someone come into the room

Does not have an amp

Over ear

Need them by June 2nd

I keep going over budget with what I pick.

So, guys, help. Thank you

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 was on sale on Massdrop for $99.99USD (without shipping and tax). I think you just missed it?

200$, open, amazing thumping bass.

doesn't ring a bell for me.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 was on sale on Massdrop for $99.99USD (without shipping and tax). I think you just missed it?

A lot of people recommend the ATH-M50 based on bass, meanwhile they aren't that strong. Maybe it's just me, but they are too flat for my liking.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500. I got them a couple years ago at best buy for like $120 and they are AMAZING. Very plushy cans, over the ear, very good bass but the mids and highs are still there. I listen to a lot of dubstep/ EDM so they are perfect for me. only 22 Ohm impedance so no need for any extra gear.

-edit-oops just noticed you wanted open.. not open sorrrs

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

A lot of people recommend the ATH-M50 based on bass, meanwhile they aren't that strong. Maybe it's just me, but they are too flat for my liking.

I can get that, though I think that would just not be strong enough for dubstep kind of music. Its also really good for other sounds too. Plus, this was on sale. The only problem is that it is closed, where the OP wants open. Also, unsure if you can get them by June 2nd (from Massdrop) >.<

well they are a studio monitor so..

DT 990 pro's dawg (they kind of need an amp if your onboard ain't enough)

This is probs the best option for a bassy and open phone.

For that budget, I think your option for open + good bass is very limited. The above say DT990 pro is good, but I've never tried one, so can't say for sure. For open + good bass, my mind immediately goes to planar headphones. Planars generally have good bass in term of quality. Maybe out of your budget though, the Hifiman HE-400 is $300. There is Fostex T50RP for a cheaper planar option, but it's semi-open, not full open.

BTW, general opinions are open headphones leak sounds in and out. I'd say, be more concern of sounds leaking out, don't worry about sounds leaking in. I got people sneaking up on me left and right, although I'm using an open headphone. Unless somebody yells at you at the same room, you won't hear much from your surrounding, when you're playing music.

fisher fa-011's seem to fit the bill.

should be right around $200

open

and more bass than anything I've heard

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Wow, this blew up during breakfast. Thank you all!

200$, open, amazing thumping bass.

doesn't ring a bell for me.

Ugh, I know.. Thank you

I like M50s, I modded my pair to increase the bass. But, they're closed and if the sub bass doesn't lack, it's muddy.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-XB500. I got them a couple years ago at best buy for like $120 and they are AMAZING. Very plushy cans, over the ear, very good bass but the mids and highs are still there. I listen to a lot of dubstep/ EDM so they are perfect for me. only 22 Ohm impedance so no need for any extra gear.

-edit-oops just noticed you wanted open.. not open sorrrs

Thanks for trying. I may have to tell him these specs are a little difficult.

DT 990 pro's dawg (they kind of need an amp if your onboard ain't enough)

That's what I was going to do, but 990s and an amp is 270 bucks. Which is actually a very fair price...

How about a pair of sony mdr 1r? 

Closed :( Otherwise, considered.

For that budget, I think your option for open + good bass is very limited. The above say DT990 pro is good, but I've never tried one, so can't say for sure. For open + good bass, my mind immediately goes to planar headphones. Planars generally have good bass in term of quality. Maybe out of your budget though, the Hifiman HE-400 is $300. There is Fostex T50RP for a cheaper planar option, but it's semi-open, not full open.

BTW, general opinions are open headphones leak sounds in and out. I'd say, be more concern of sounds leaking out, don't worry about sounds leaking in. I got people sneaking up on me left and right, although I'm using an open headphone. Unless somebody yells at you at the same room, you won't hear much from your surrounding, when you're playing music.

The Fostex T50 seem to be perfect. I will consider this pair.

Oh wait, what about the HE-300s? Half the price of the 400s.

fisher fa-011's seem to fit the bill.

should be right around $200

open

and more bass than anything I've heard

I can't find them. Not even on the Japanese Amazon. Sounds like their perfect though

That's what I was going to do, but 990s and an amp is 270 bucks. Which is actually a very fair price...

what amp are you looking at?

what amp are you looking at?

Schiit Magni- $109

yo dawg just get some Beats bro!  :lol:

....lulz

AMD FX 8350, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4GB 1866, PNY GTX780, Corsair HX850, Phantom 630, Samsung 120GB SSD, WD Black 2TB HDD

Rest in peace, legend.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, Gigabyte RTX 3070, 32GB RAM, 4TB Samsung SSD, and a crippling depression that causes me to buy games and not play them lol

I like M50s, I modded my pair to increase the bass. But, they're closed and if the sub bass doesn't lack, it's muddy.

The Fostex T50 seem to be perfect. I will consider this pair.

Oh wait, what about the HE-300s? Half the price of the 400s.

You actually thinking what I'm thinking, about the oh-so-famous M50. It's a good headphone, but the muddy bass is very much not my taste. It's not lacking or too much, but it's muddy, rendering the lower mids not so fun anymore.

The HE-300 is dynamic driver, not planar, although in their websites description, they describe it as "offers a familiar sonic signature of HiFiMAN’s top-of-the-line reference models" (http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=108). I've never tried the 300, so can't say for sure. If you're going for the 300, better hurry though. I think they're renewing their line of products, that's why they're on sale.

Depending on your location, you could also consider the combo: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=194 It's shipped from China, that's why I said depending on your location. Shipping fee could be worth it, or not....

For amp, if you don't mind going with cheaper products, try browsing the Fiio line of products. They're known for good value over price. 

I can't find them. Not even on the Japanese Amazon. Sounds like their perfect though

http://fischer-products.eu/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=129

http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=333

only 2 places I've seen them, but I haven't looked really hard.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Thank you all again. I think I've narrowed it down a bit.

DT990 250Ohm $150 (no idea what to consider for the amp in such a low price range, $50-80)

HE-300 $150 (conflicting reviews, some say there will be too much bass, others say it is recessed)

Fidelio X1 $230 (Is $230 fair?)

Dang, was looking forward to this one. But aren't those going to need some amping? Can't swing it at that price.

You actually thinking what I'm thinking, about the oh-so-famous M50. It's a good headphone, but the muddy bass is very much not my taste. It's not lacking or too much, but it's muddy, rendering the lower mids not so fun anymore.

The HE-300 is dynamic driver, not planar, although in their websites description, they describe it as "offers a familiar sonic signature of HiFiMAN’s top-of-the-line reference models" (http://hifiman.com/Products/?pid=108). I've never tried the 300, so can't say for sure. If you're going for the 300, better hurry though. I think they're renewing their line of products, that's why they're on sale.

Depending on your location, you could also consider the combo: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=194 It's shipped from China, that's why I said depending on your location. Shipping fee could be worth it, or not....

For amp, if you don't mind going with cheaper products, try browsing the Fiio line of products. They're known for good value over price. 

What would be your first choice for DT990s, is there such a thing as an amp under 50 dollars? If only the 32Ohm version wasn't almost 400 bucks...

Thanks for the links, I'm going to get on head-fi and see what they think of the 300s

Phillips fidelio x1

Looking at this, thanks

DT990 250Ohm $150 (no idea what to consider for the amp in such a low price range, $50-80)

HE-300 $150 (conflicting reviews, some say there will be too much bass, others say it is recessed)

Dang, was looking forward to this one. But aren't those going to need some amping? Can't swing it at that price.

What would be your first choice for DT990s, is there such a thing as an amp under 50 dollars? If only the 32Ohm version wasn't almost 400 bucks...

Thanks for the links, I'm going to get on head-fi and see what they think of the 300s

Looking at this, thanks

Fiio E11 is $60. Or get cheaper E6 for $28, but it's a little sketchy as to enough or not powering up big headphones.

why? Those are pretty overpriced..

What would you suggest for around half that? Something that can sit on a desk for years.

Fiio E11 is $60. Or get cheaper E6 for $28, but it's a little sketchy as to enough or not powering up big headphones.

I've looked. Takes a battery though, seems like a waste because this set up will never go anywhere.

The Fidelios have been around there for a long time. The only way to get it cheaper is to wait for them to appear on Massdrop. As for is it a fair price? I've heard good things about it so I guess so. I personally went for a cheaper option and got AKG K612 which I am not sure if it's bassier or not. I would say go for the X1 or DT990

What would you suggest for around half that? Something that can sit on a desk for years.

I've looked. Takes a battery though, seems like a waste because this set up will never go anywhere.

Get a Syba DAC then. Shearme uses one, and he seems quite satisfied by that.

Also, for anyone who wants to dig deeper into the Beyers, I found a very extensive guide here (don't know if it's credible or not, but it is extensive): http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more