RAM disk help

Go to solution Solved by airdeano,

@mattias1172

it doesn't work that way to allocate specific RAM to be used as a RAMDisk.

you have X amount of RAM and the software then allocates from that pool of

RAM X amount to be used as part of a RAMDisk.

Does anyone know if it's possible to select certain ram slots on the motherboard to create a disk? Rather than just allocating ram space in general, I want to use specific ram sticks (slots) to create the disk.

PC info:

Asus rampage IV black edition

I7 4930k

Ram: g.skill (currently 16gb using 4x slots but my mobo has 8 slots. So I want to use the other four slots to put 32gb of a higher speed ram for a disk)

If you mis match ram it HAS to run at the slowest speed. You cannot have 2 different speeds at the same time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't believe so, RAM is intended to operate as temporary storage. Everything saved to it is erased when it's no longer needed.

I don't believe so, RAM is intended to operate as temporary storage. Everything saved to it is erased when it's no longer needed.

Yes ik, but you can set it to automatically save to a ssd and load back to the ram during shutdown and boot.

@mattias1172

it doesn't work that way to allocate specific RAM to be used as a RAMDisk.

you have X amount of RAM and the software then allocates from that pool of

RAM X amount to be used as part of a RAMDisk.

Yes ik, but you can set it to automatically save to a ssd and load back to the ram during shutdown and boot.

That's how it works all the time... Data is written to a Flash storage solution like an SSD or Mechanical Hard Drive. When it's needed to be used by the CPU it's stored in the RAM so the CPU has a place to put it's workload. (Most CPU's have about 64MB of memory on them.) So when you are using a program or another file that data is stored on the RAM temporarily while the CPU is processing it. When you close the program it's dumped back to the Mechanical Drive or Flash Storage solution until needed again. I don't believe RAM has the capability to forever store Data.

That's how it works all the time... Data is written to a Flash storage solution like an SSD or Mechanical Hard Drive. When it's needed to be used by the CPU it's stored in the RAM so the CPU has a place to put it's workload. (Most CPU's have about 64MB of memory on them.) So when you are using a program or another file that data is stored on the RAM temporarily while the CPU is processing it. When you close the program it's dumped back to the Mechanical Drive or Flash Storage solution until needed again. I don't believe RAM has the capability to forever store Data.

Not forever but you can install apps such as Microsoft word or even smaller sized games to the ram and it loads much faster. When the app is closed, it stays in the ram, meaning to load said app again, it doesn't have to be loaded from a ssd or hdd increasing read speads way past a ssd. But when the PC is powered off, all info on the ram is dumped. Certain RAM disk software allows the programs on the RAM disk to be backed up to a storage device upon shutdown and then re-loaded to the ram on startup.

The ram is quit literally being used as a storage device.

Thanks to all who clarified my original question, was hoping to have a faster RAM disk without having to replace my 16gb of 1600 ram :/ o well.

Not forever but you can install apps such as Microsoft word or even smaller sized games to the ram and it loads much faster. When the app is closed, it stays in the ram, meaning to load said app again, it doesn't have to be loaded from a ssd or hdd increasing read speads way past a ssd. But when the PC is powered off, all info on the ram is dumped. Certain RAM disk software allows the programs on the RAM disk to be backed up to a storage device upon shutdown and then re-loaded to the ram on startup.

The ram is quit literally being used as a storage device.

Thanks to all who clarified my original question, was hoping to have a faster RAM disk without having to replace my 16gb of 1600 ram :/ o well.

Seems rather unreliable. Especially since that isn't what it's designed to do. It would also limit usable RAM and be rather pricey compared to performance. I guess if I had money to burn I would do it IMO but I'd rather use an SSD.

Seems rather unreliable. Especially since that isn't what it's designed to do. It would also limit usable RAM and be rather pricey compared to performance. I guess if I had money to burn I would do it IMO but I'd rather use an SSD.

Well it all depends on the setup. And it's not unreliable actually. RAM disks have been used since the 80s. In fact linux based machines can boot off a RAM disk, imagine a boot time of 3-5 seconds since most RAM disk configurations run 2-3x faster than most ssd's.

Well it all depends on the setup. And it's not unreliable actually. RAM disks have been used since the 80s. In fact linux based machines can boot off a RAM disk, imagine a boot time of 3-5 seconds since most RAM disk configurations run 2-3x faster than most ssd's.

Hmmm, well if RAM comes down in price more I might look into it haha almost $160 for 16GB.

Higher speed ram will obviously give better performance but here's a quick chart I found. I don't know what any of the stock speeds of these drives are but it gives you a good idea.

post-83259-0-21682800-1401246005.jpg

post-83259-0-21682800-1401246005.jpg