The Widest Gaming Setup

The 86" LG Ultra Stretch Digital Signage Display has an aspect ratio of 58:9, making it relatively wider than just about any other display we've tried to game on. How well does it game? The answer is more interesting than you might think, and depends much more on how the game was made than when.

the squatted truck of ultrawides

LG has been doing these for quite some years now, they're there for like showing stuff in museums and whatsoever. You can find these on LG's site and some retailers, but yeah... it's literally what it is, lol.

Just imagine playing Geometry Dash on that thing. No more "Dash Spider Jumpscare" if you can see it 5-7 business days away!

Vaguely related....still waiting on an ultrawide with 2160 vertical pixels and >120hz refresh rate to get me to consolidate down from three 4K screens.

Although I think I may be waiting for DP 2.0 graphics cards to drive that with a single cable.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

They're still waiting for the alien to reach the opposite side of the screen.

I don't think you'll ever get enough credit for how good this was. Bravo.

Isn't the higher price per inch also because of yields and that kind of stuff related to manufacturing? I feel like they talked about this in some other video about a large screen. Or maybe I'm confusing it with CPU's and GPU's that use silicon wafers.

17 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Isn't the higher price per inch also because of yields and that kind of stuff related to manufacturing? I feel like they talked about this in some other video about a large screen. Or maybe I'm confusing it with CPU's and GPU's that use silicon wafers.

If you are referring to the yields of the glass panel size, it's just wide, not completely big, so it's not bad to make.  It may even be the result of defective consumer TVs.

It's more economies of scale plus business tax, not a limit in manufacturing ability.  

Came to see the monitor

Stayed to learn about wide screen gaming - especially like the part on 2D tile based games

What a shame linus did not make/get/use this keyboard:

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

This is The worst video from LinusTechTips (IMO) this year so far and i have several reasons below... ( respect freedom of expression ✌️:old-unsure: ?

1. This should have been a Techquickie YouTube video since there hasn't been ANYTHING relevant tested in practice about the Monitor just Gaming and Emulation which wasn't even intended for the monitor to use for so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip" because you haven't tested the monitor for it's intended use which is Signage and the Proticol(s) : image.png.59f49849e8050c78bef4ca06be57359f.pngimage.thumb.png.507d1c0290f77944fb5f2334c82001d5.png

To add insult to injury (sorry @LinusTech) for TechQuickie the Assistant Director James Strieb is often and alot on TechQuickie . I'm sorry for all of this i'm just providing some feedback on to why I disliked the video in question and trying to help the respective YouTube Channel(s). 

2. This video is not really Appealing (IN THEORY) because most gamer(s) don't have 4500 euro/dollar or whatever for a Signage Monitor for gaming so all the provided information is pretty much useless outside learning and entertainment purposes because of this professional setup and useless features for the average Gamer which has been featured in the video PSP, Nintendo games etc Counter Strike 2 is AWFUL and refresh rate and everything else about the panel and technology are also irrelevant to gaming (AS YOU TOLD) for its price tag of 4500 euro/dollar which you can get the BEST of the BEST gaming monitor out there which is way better than this biggest piece of dogshit Gaming Monitor (I'm sorry for language) even though it's 86" it has NO curve at all for gaming and the implementation of aspect ratio and stuff like that and I know you have told this in your conclusions so don't flame me for that it's because it's on The END of the video which is a complete waste of time to watch IMO as a nerd who wants to learn a lot also the click-bait thumbnail and title does not mention a signage monitor at all........

3. The potential Audience would be X2 (IN THEORY) if you uploaded both on Tech Quickie and LinusTechTips as explained above you would make a Tech Quickie as the current video with re-editing and a LinusTechTips video earlier or later for all the Tech Tips about the monitor such as how to set up Signage Proticol(s), Serial stuff and software stuff and maybe also hardware setup for intended use as a signage professional monitor eg billboards and the real life implementation of it explained as/like these video's in practice however as the video is already made it would be difficult i certainly understand that but take it for next time as feedback 🙂  (see video's below for inspiration 💌

ALL as inspiration

2 minutes ago, Redicat said:

so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip"

Are you maybe unfamiliar with LTT as of late? It was immediately obvious this video, like many others, was just entertainment. 

9 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Are you maybe unfamiliar with LTT as of late? It was immediately obvious this video, like many others, was just entertainment. 

I am not, i know...

It's just as accepting the critique and feedback/advice not to stick the head in the sand like an ostrich..

The Internet is not something you just dump shit on it's a series of tubes!!

21 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Well, I would say there's some good history lessons in there. I learned some things.

13 minutes ago, Redicat said:

The Internet is not something you just dump shit on it's a series of tubes!!

bro hasn't seen twitter

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

46 minutes ago, GoStormPlays said:

Well, I would say there's some good history lessons in there. I learned some things.

bro hasn't seen twitter

Learning that stuff is for the Tech Quckie channel IMO why would you learn it for the tech tips??? hm 

26 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Learning that stuff is for the Tech Quckie channel IMO why would you learn it for the tech tips??? hm 

learning is kinda the purpose of both channels

By reading this, you're entering a contract that says you have to visit my profile.

I have two LG UltraWide 2560x1080 monitors attached  to my main PC, which I appreciate very much because it gives me a lot of screen space, however this is WAY too much. If I was to upgrade further, I'd probably invest in a couple of UltraWides that are approximately 3440x1440 (so technically UWQHD; I'm using this image from Wikipedia as a reference), but no larger.

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB

2 hours ago, Redicat said:

This is The worst video from LinusTechTips (IMO) this year so far and i have several reasons below... ( respect freedom of expression ✌️:old-unsure: ?

1. This should have been a Techquickie YouTube video since there hasn't been ANYTHING relevant tested in practice about the Monitor just Gaming and Emulation which wasn't even intended for the monitor to use for so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip" because you haven't tested the monitor for it's intended use which is Signage and the Proticol(s) : image.png.59f49849e8050c78bef4ca06be57359f.pngimage.thumb.png.507d1c0290f77944fb5f2334c82001d5.png

To add insult to injury (sorry @LinusTech) for TechQuickie the Assistant Director James Strieb is often and alot on TechQuickie . I'm sorry for all of this i'm just providing some feedback on to why I disliked the video in question and trying to help the respective YouTube Channel(s). 

2. This video is not really Appealing (IN THEORY) because most gamer(s) don't have 4500 euro/dollar or whatever for a Signage Monitor for gaming so all the provided information is pretty much useless outside learning and entertainment purposes because of this professional setup and useless features for the average Gamer which has been featured in the video PSP, Nintendo games etc Counter Strike 2 is AWFUL and refresh rate and everything else about the panel and technology are also irrelevant to gaming (AS YOU TOLD) for its price tag of 4500 euro/dollar which you can get the BEST of the BEST gaming monitor out there which is way better than this biggest piece of dogs*** Gaming Monitor (I'm sorry for language) even though it's 86" it has NO curve at all for gaming and the implementation of aspect ratio and stuff like that and I know you have told this in your conclusions so don't flame me for that it's because it's on The END of the video which is a complete waste of time to watch IMO as a nerd who wants to learn a lot also the click-bait thumbnail and title does not mention a signage monitor at all........

3. The potential Audience would be X2 (IN THEORY) if you uploaded both on Tech Quickie and LinusTechTips as explained above you would make a Tech Quickie as the current video with re-editing and a LinusTechTips video earlier or later for all the Tech Tips about the monitor such as how to set up Signage Proticol(s), Serial stuff and software stuff and maybe also hardware setup for intended use as a signage professional monitor eg billboards and the real life implementation of it explained as/like these video's in practice however as the video is already made it would be difficult i certainly understand that but take it for next time as feedback 🙂  (see video's below for inspiration 💌

ALL as inspiration

I mean... It doesn't seem THAT bad to me. 

The mind of a person with discernment gets knowledge, and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge. Proverbs 18:15 CJB

1 hour ago, GoStormPlays said:

learning is kinda the purpose of both channels

Learning for what? to use a non-gaming monitor for gaming? uhh all that other stuff is certainly for the other channel idk what a waste of bandwith...

I have NOT learned ANYTHING about the Display at all.

such as how to set up Signage Proticol(s), Serial stuff and software stuff and maybe also hardware setup for intended use as a signage professional monitor eg billboards and the real life implementation of it

It's 90% clickbait 10% truth

3 hours ago, Redicat said:

1. This should have been a Techquickie YouTube video since there hasn't been ANYTHING relevant tested in practice about the Monitor just Gaming and Emulation which wasn't even intended for the monitor to use for so it seems more for entertainment purposes as you told HERE which should have been a Techquickie video afterwards since this isn't really a "Tech Tip" because you haven't tested the monitor for it's intended use which is Signage and the Proticol(s) :

2. This video is not really Appealing (IN THEORY) because most gamer(s) don't have 4500 euro/dollar or whatever for a Signage Monitor for gaming so all the provided information is pretty much useless outside learning and entertainment purposes because of this professional setup and useless features for the average Gamer which has been featured in the video PSP, Nintendo games etc Counter Strike 2 is AWFUL and refresh rate and everything else about the panel and technology are also irrelevant to gaming (AS YOU TOLD) for its price tag of 4500 euro/dollar which you can get the BEST of the BEST gaming monitor out there which is way better than this biggest piece of dogshit Gaming Monitor (I'm sorry for language) even though it's 86" it has NO curve at all for gaming and the implementation of aspect ratio and stuff like that and I know you have told this in your conclusions so don't flame me for that it's because it's on The END of the video which is a complete waste of time to watch IMO as a nerd who wants to learn a lot also the click-bait thumbnail and title does not mention a signage monitor at all........

IMO you focused on the wrong parts of this video. To me the video was about game design and support for ultra wide or multi monitor setups. From what I could tell the ultra wide monitor was only used because it is uniquely able to demostrate the problem at its absolute worst. Because of this I'd agrue it actually contained a wealth of useful information for those of us who do own ultrawide monitors or use multiple monitors.

Also, I think a video talking about a digital signage screen and software for that purpose in depth would likely be very dull and useless to the majority of the audiance.

Also Also, (the following is intended as friendly advice) the constant underlining, bold sections and CAPITALISTAION in your messages make it very hard to read. 🙂 Please consider using less of it to help those of us with Dsylexia.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

9 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

IMO you focused on the wrong parts of this video. To me the video was about game design and support for ultra wide or multi monitor setups. From what I could tell the ultra wide monitor was only used because it is uniquely able to demostrate the problem at its absolute worst. Because of this I'd agrue it actually contained a wealth of useful information for those of us who do own ultrawide monitors or use multiple monitors.

Also, I think a video talking about a digital signage screen and software for that purpose in depth would likely be very dull to the majority of the audiance.

If you think that the Audiance does not really have a big enough common sense and IQ? beyond 4:20 i was done with the video... about the failures it's all pretty much common sense to me you don't game on a proffesional billboard display that is 4500 DOLLARS!!    I don't know how much people earn in America but for me as an European that just is very very absurd to spend AT LEAST 500-600 more dollars instead of ANY TOP TIER Ultrawide Gaming Monitor... 

What do you expect a PRO/Business Bill Board to game properly??? man people need to use more common sense than this... 

I don't think people are this stupid idk Linus explained it well

4 minutes ago, Redicat said:

If you think that the Audiance does not really have a big enough common sense and IQ? beyond 4:20 i was done with the video... about the failures it's all pretty much common sense to me you don't game on a proffesional billboard display that is 4500 DOLLARS!!    I don't know how much people earn in America but for me as an European that just is very very absurd to spend AT LEAST 500-600 more dollars instead of ANY TOP TIER Ultrawide Gaming Monitor... 

What do you expect a PRO/Business Bill Board to game properly??? man people need to use more common sense than this... 

I don't think people are this stupid idk Linus explained it well

You completely missed their point and accidentally reinforced their point btw.

13 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

From what I could tell the ultra wide monitor was only used because it is uniquely able to demostrate the problem at its absolute worst.

It was only used to show the problems with ultra wide monitors at their worst. Magnified the problem if you will.

5 minutes ago, Redicat said:

common sense to me you don't game on a proffesional billboard display that is 4500 DOLLARS!! 

I'm glad you agree with them.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?