$1500 worth of computer hardware from newegg stolen from UPS office, what do I do?

Few days ago I got a note saying my newegg order worth $1500 was at the ups office for me to pick up, but when I went they said they had already given it to someone. I asked for the signature and it was nothing like mine. Newegg customer support are saying it was delivered so they will not give a refund. What do I do?

8 minutes ago, ePog123 said:

Few days ago I got a note saying my newegg order worth $1500 was at the ups office for me to pick up, but when I went they said they had already given it to someone. I asked for the signature and it was nothing like mine. Newegg customer support are saying it was delivered so they will not give a refund. What do I do?

Sounds like UPS neglected to check ID. I would try to hold them responsible.

And don't take legal advice from idiots like us that don't even know what legal system you reside in.

I'm curious if that scammer just goes to UPS and picks something that looks interesting like a Newegg package. Or if they knew you specifically were expecting a shipment.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

oh man that really sucks id be pi--d, hoping you are able to get it back. See what local law enforcement can do for you.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

File a claim with UPS, it's their fault they released it to the wrong customer.

4 hours ago, Phantasmagoria said:

might be a inside job

All the more reason for UPS corporate to follow up. If this happened to @ePog123 then who knows how many other times they've done it.

Corporate won't cover for someone working the counter at a UPS Store, that would make the company as a whole look bad.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

A Police Report could go a long way, to say it was stolen. Could get access to security camera and timestamp of when it was stolen.

Get in touch with UPS Corporate as well.

It certainly sucks, but THEY are the ones who messed up.

A chargeback would be the last recourse you should take, as Newegg won't take kindly to you stealing from them when they provided the goods as demanded. It is not their fault if it was stolen once it got in the hands of the carrier. But they honestly should be able to help a little due to carrier insurance that they likely have.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, TetraSky said:

A Police Report could go a long way, to say it was stolen. Could get access to security camera and timestamp of when it was stolen.

Get in touch with UPS Corporate as well.

It certainly sucks, but THEY are the ones who messed up.

A chargeback would be the last recourse you should take, as Newegg won't take kindly to you stealing from them when they provided the goods as demanded. It is not their fault if it was stolen once it got in the hands of the carrier. But they honestly should be able to help a little due to carrier insurance that they likely have.

I agree and I would involve both Newegg and UPS. Newegg should refund you and then they can take it up with UPS after. Also make sure to post this on every social media platforms for both companies. Pretty sure in EU newegg should pay you back in this situation as they're the one choosing UPS as their carrier@ePog123

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

8 hours ago, Phantasmagoria said:

call your bank and dispute the transaction

That's extreme, and barking at the wrong tree. The party whom transactions was with has done their part accordingly. So doing this and them having proof that they have done their part would A) not do anything, and B) get one blacklisted from attempted fraud.

Involving Newegg is good solution as they have contracted UPS as their delivery handler. They also might have some sort of insurance for more expensive shipments. While this might not quite fit to it, its something to look for too.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

With it being such a large value, this can't go unnoticed and UPS should take action. Also police intervention is necessary, this is a theft as your items were taken without consent.

Apprentice Software Developer

41 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I'd be curious how someone knew you were getting the shipment.

it could be as easy as looking at shipping labels and seeing "Newegg" and just assuming its something worthwhile

14 minutes ago, BrandonLatzig said:

it could be as easy as looking at shipping labels and seeing "Newegg" and just assuming its something worthwhile

I've been to several UPS stores/offices and none of the boxes were just laying around.  Perhaps someone saw the UPS note on his door and used the info to go retrieve it.

8 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I've been to several UPS stores/offices and none of the boxes were just laying around.  Perhaps someone saw the UPS note on his door and used the info to go retrieve it.

possibly. Might of been a disgruntled worker.

I would involve Police/UPS asap before the store video is deleted. Those recordings only stay for so long. And make specifically sure this is being done. Don't rely on Police actually getting the video before in 4 months when it sure is gone.

Believe it or not, I recently was a juror on a murder case and the Police department for that case didn't assign a detective for some weeks. And that detective never ever went to the motel it happened and only asked about the motel video tapes many months later when they were gone. I suspect your Newegg case will not get the A-team from the Police. Do NOT rely on the Police to be thorough!

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

2 hours ago, Phantasmagoria said:

i wouldn't call the police. unless its a last resort. just call your bank and dispute the transaction. not a chargeback. a dispute. and you should get your money back. let usps and new egg deal with the rest. dont wait.

the police wont help no, the police report on the other hand will. 

12 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

let the bank deal with that. its not OPs job he needs his money back asap

yes, he needs either his money or his hardware back, in both of those cases a police report, regardless of the police work, a police report is a paper trail that can and will be used when things are escalated, in the favor of OP. not having one is a detriment, regardless of the police work. 

37 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

this is simply incorrect. all the police gonna do is give him a paper that basically says he told them about it. aka reported it. for 1500$ they aint gonna do diddly. they might even tell him to call his bank. its a waste of time. the best and fastest way the OP can get his money back is to call his bank and dispute the charge. like i explained above. let the bank and new egg and usps deal with everything. why waste time  when he is already protected by his bank for stuff like this. all he needs to do is inform them and get his money back. its that simple.

Correct that is all the police are going to do. Again, regardless of any police work that follow, that piece of paper is important, as its a paper trail document. Reporting to the police does NOT have the goal of getting them involved, no one is asking them to get involved. It has the goal of getting that piece of paper. 

Police being police, they won't do much. But a crime has been committed so they should do something.

Apprentice Software Developer

1 hour ago, Phantasmagoria said:

this is simply incorrect. all the police gonna do is give him a paper that basically says he told them about it. aka reported it. for 1500$ they aint gonna do diddly. they might even tell him to call his bank. its a waste of time. the best and fastest way the OP can get his money back is to call his bank and dispute the charge. like i explained above. let the bank and new egg and usps deal with everything. why waste time  when he is already protected by his bank for stuff like this. all he needs to do is inform them and get his money back. its that simple.

True, unless they have a new police officer who still believes in enforcing the law, they won't do much. But you want a case# to prove you alerted the authorities. Otherwise someone claims there was no crime since OP didn't report it in timely manner 

Whoever ends up eating the cost, will use the excuse of no police report filed to not pay up. 

I once lost my credit card and I didn't realize it. My bank called me because someone bought gas 4 times that day. They told me to file a report with police. I knew the police likely isn't doing much, but didn't want to violate what my bank told me and also wanted my money back. So I did and told my bank the case # and got my money. Police didn't do anything. I actually went to that gas station in question and talked to the manager about videos of that specific times. But they didn't have any. I suppose the gas station ate the cost since they didn't check ID (not sure, don't care). But there could be the case that if I refused to file a police report all parties involved stop all efforts right there 

With a police report you also vouch for your story being true. Because if OP is the scammer here, filing a false police report is a crime. So that adds a bit more trust to the story if you go to the Police.

And laws are different all over and company policies will differ. Don't take advice from this forum.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

23 hours ago, Erioch said:

At my UPS all the boxes are sitting right behind the counter in full view. I had to point out my own box when the lady couldn't find it.

OP your best bet is to talk to someone at UPS corporate. This is entirely their fault.

Filing a police report can be helpful to get some action from UPS. As long as you realize that the police aren't going to do anything themselves.

If UPS doesn't do anything then contact your bank as a last resort. But be aware that this may blacklist you from Newegg purchases in the future.

One more thought, make sure you have record of notifying UPS/Newegg and do so asap. Also talk to bank about options. 

Even if you don't dispute a payment immediately, you have a record to have complained in time. All parties (understandably) will have deadlines for filing a complaint. Like you can't successfully file a suit 3 years later about your lost package if that is the first time ever you told anyone. 

Also know there are scammers who receive their package, but will claim they didn't. All the parties involved get those all day long and need to separate out true and false claims. You want your claim look as legit as possible with police report etc.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

6 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

yea they got their own investigative body so fight fraud.

Their investigators are not police.

While the cops won't do squat, it is often needed to at least report the theft for the bank to do anything for you (at least in my country).

Without doing so, it's like saying it wasn't really stolen. If you can't be bothered to get a police report by reporting a theft, did a theft even happen?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, Phantasmagoria said:

semantics are irreverent to the OPs situation. police or not, they are deputized to handle such cases for the bank. like the apple police. but who cares.

no... they are not deputized.

Why are you against also filing a police report, no one here has said, file one INSTEAD of other actions, we have said AS WELL AS. There is no increased risk unless OP is lying about the theft. Again, a police report is not involving the police. Its makeing a legal statement, on paper. Without a police report, one can argue you were not stolen from, because there is no report of it