Is entering a BIOS really that complicated?

Saw an article on the recent Intel/Partners mess and they were like "entering a bios is tricky/complicated" for most. But who's building/buying a PC, especially an i9/i7 without being able to follow instructions in a video or article?? Not the first time I've seen the point and it just seems silly. 

It's literally 1 button lol

Apprentice Software Developer

Its the fucking windows that fucks it up. "Fast startup" option in Windows comes pre-enabled and when you click shutdown button in windows your computer is actually not shutting down, when your computer wakes up it straight up loads OS and skips whole enter bios input.

I keep that shit disabled on every system I setup since the day they introduced in 2012.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Blasty Blosty said:

Unless you don't know which button, so you have to quickly mash DEL, F1, F2, and F12 in hopes that one of them is correct.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

I mean it technically is if you're not familiar already and haven't read the manual. The bios screen is usually up for a second or less giving you pretty much no time to read, and in some devices, there isn't even any indication on what button to press on startup (usually laptops I think). So to an inexperienced person it isn't immediately obvious what they need to do.

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

Unless you don't know which button, so you have to quickly mash DEL, F1, F2, and F12 in hopes that one of them is correct.

True, technically 4 buttons then

1 minute ago, Blasty Blosty said:

True, technically 4 buttons then

Unless you have to introduce FN key to the combination lol. Plus I believe its F10 in Lenovos (AND sometimes Enter key).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, Levent said:

Unless you have to introduce FN key to the combination lol. Plus I believe its F10 in Lenovos (AND sometimes Enter key).

That hurts my brain

20 minutes ago, Levent said:

F2 for my Legion 5
At the very least up to my laptop's Legion 5.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

56 minutes ago, Levent said:

Not only Lenovo.

At least Lenovo enables Fn-lock meaning it is still just one key (F10 or F12).

People never go out of business.

It's fun when your monitor wakes up after the time you needed to press the button. So I often spam it earlier. Might depend on when RGB keyboards get initialised (or USB) in boot process, but on mine, when it lights up, press the button!

Or run shutdown /r /fw /t 0 in Windows to reboot to bios.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, Blasty Blosty said:

yea... but which one???

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

8 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yea... but which one???

Well 1 after you try every one 😂

You can also hold shift while clicking on the restart button, then the PC reboots into troubleshooting mode where you can click "advanced startup" and "enter UEFI/BIOS/firmware". After you select it, the PC reboots again and goes directly into the BIOS. You can get around the timed button mashing this way.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Mobo's these days are starting to go the this will do method & yeah the windows fast boot thingymebob. Is a little of putting. I miss the old days when that guy from Asus would go over to say Linus / Jayztocents so forth & walk throw all the sick new stuff they had. They cared back then nowa days it's like they got it it'll work & pay us. Hate to see where it's at in 10 years time from now, for Mobo's & Windows god help us.

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.300V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

36 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

You can get around the timed button mashing this way.

But ... but.... it's a fun game !! 🤣

34 minutes ago, loony979 said:

for Mobo's & Windows god help us.

God : Sorry bud.... I have more important things to care about

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Laptops can be annoying, but on desktop power on spam Delete gg.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Come to think of it...

Unplugging all boot drive will send you to BIOS no ?

Refresh before you reply

Ironically, entering a given BIOS screen becomes more difficult the more you know about them.

As far as I can recall I've seen BIOS keys on F1, F2, F9, F10, F11, F12, and Delete. Worse still manufacturers will switch the key between models, or even generations of the same model. And just to twist the knife a little more many have secondary functions like one-time boot menus and diagnostics on the other keys, so mashing them all at once just sends you somewhere random.

And the cherry on top, the internet is dead and searching for the answer will just lead you to page after page of SEO-optimized drivel from an LLM with 50/50 odds on hallucinating the wrong key.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

It usually tells you what button to push on startup lol 🙂

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN8501TB, SN850X2TB
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14, TL-D14X

4 hours ago, Blasty Blosty said:

That hurts my brain

That's one reason I recommend Dell for prebuilts. Across the board, you invoke their one-time boot menu with F12. 

Doesn't matter if it's a desktop or laptop that crosses the workbench. It's always F12.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

4 hours ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

I mean it technically is if you're not familiar already and haven't read the manual. The bios screen is usually up for a second or less giving you pretty much no time to read, and in some devices, there isn't even any indication on what button to press on startup (usually laptops I think). So to an inexperienced person it isn't immediately obvious what they need to do.

You're referring to the system POST screen, not a BIOS screen here.

Any screens in the BIOS will not show during bootup, you must be in the BIOS to see them.
There are a few ways to get access to the BIOS if the machine is just blowing through it's POST screen and I too have had this happen before - Annoying but it happens.

With some posts made above this one, those are handy ways to get in or like I do alot of the time, you could trick the system into thinking there is a problem and forcing a boot error, causing a BIOS access "Stop" in it's POST screen.
This trick doesn't work with all boards but for some it's handy to use.

All you do is start the system by pressing the system start button and hold it until it cuts off, then press it again repeating this cycle of start/stop while holding the system start button about three or four times through this on/off power cycle.
After that you can then start it normally and (If it's going to work) the system will stop itself at the POST screen and prompt you to press F1 to enter and reconfigure your BIOS settings.

From there you can do whatever if you need to but again, it doesn't work with all systems (Boards), you'll have to try it and see if it works or not for your own system.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

2 hours ago, freeagent said:

It usually tells you what button to push on startup lol 🙂

"Usually"

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

All of the drives in my PC are m.2 drives.  Some requiring removing the GPU and covers from the mobo. I'd rather spam a random key.

1 hour ago, Poinkachu said:

Come to think of it...

That was easy to do back in the SATA days. With m.2, it's not as simple unfortunately.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

"Usually"

All of the drives in my PC are m.2 drives.  Some requiring removing the GPU and covers from the mobo. I'd rather spam a random key.

1 hour ago, Kid.Lazer said:

That was easy to do back in the SATA days. With m.2, it's not as simple unfortunately.

image.png.27f97798abb973229f794d9fb4497992.png  + image.png.b86f2c38fe68fb06b5d2b4793221e533.png

😬😂😬

Refresh before you reply