What are you gonna do when Windows 10 reaches EOL?

CosmicEmotion

I saw a top comment on Reddit that suggested people keep using Windows 10 even after EOL, which I consider completely unacceptable. But I'm wondering what the general consensus is. So what are you gonna do?

1. Update to Windows 11

2. Buy a new machine and use Windows 11

3. Keep using Windows 10

4. Switch to Linux/Mac

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

CPU: 7945HX

GPU: 4090M

2 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

I saw a top comment on Reddit that suggested people keep using Windows 10 even after EOL, which I consider completely unacceptable. But I'm wondering what the general consensus is. So what are you gonna do?

1. Update to Windows 11

3. Keep using Windows 10

4. Switch to Linux/Mac

Keep using Windows 10 unless upcoming games require windows 11 to run, then windows 11.

I only use my PC to game.

Keep on as I've been keeping on.

image.thumb.png.57cd490bebfb8b3c30e1bc19a7d0d869.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

IMO Windows 10 will go on extended life support, either officially or unofficially. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

IMO Windows 10 will go on extended life support, either officially or unofficially. 

That's an interesting answer. What would unofficially entail?

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

I see no reason to upgrade to windows 11 as it still has not been shown to why they couldnt just have updated w10 with the features.

W11 is still pretty much only for intel cpus 12th gen+ and ryzen 7900x3D/7950x3D (even though nobody should ever buy the multi ccd xX3D chips atm). Everyone else w10 is fine. Plus with how much worse they are making windows 11 adware and removing features, im okay with 10. Hell id honestly go back to windows 7 if the hardware properly functioned.

10 minutes ago, CosmicEmotion said:

1. Update to Windows 11

3. Keep using Windows 10

4. Switch to Linux/Mac

It comes down to a couple of things. If all you do is game on the machine, then running Win 10 after EOL is probably ok. I personally have upgraded my gaming machine to 11, BUT I also have a Mac book Pro and a Steam Deck, and gaming on Linux at least on the deck hasn't been a bad experience.

My mom's machine doesn't meet Windows 11 requirements. Many say just by pass them, but with Microsoft's track record they will do something to make things painful in the future and future me doesn't want to have to deal with the BS. She will either learn Linux or she will buy a pre built or have me buy parts to build one.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Keep using it until there's no browser and driver support anymore. Which would suck because I'm only using it for REFS now, I don't know how or why but it's the only filesystem that works with 3 hard drives that otherwise will become 'RAW' or read-only (critical I/O error) after a while if formatted with NTFS, FAT or EXT4. They only work with REFS.

Also give up on Fallout 4/NV I guess, which can't be played with Linux.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

13 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Keep using it until there's no browser and driver support anymore. Which would suck because I'm only using it for REFS now, I don't know how or why but it's the only filesystem that works with 3 hard drives that otherwise will become 'RAW' or read-only (critical I/O error) after a while if formatted with NTFS, FAT or EXT4. They only work with REFS.

Also give up on Fallout 4/NV I guess, which can't be played with Linux.

Fallout works fine in Linux.

https://www.protondb.com/app/377160

https://www.protondb.com/app/22380

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023:

Id still be using windows 7 if it worked properly on z590 but it doesnt.

Ill use windows 10 as long as it functions.

Reminder that nobody ever gave a shit about an OS going EOL or updates stopping before windows 10. I was daily driving windows XP in 2016 and was far from alone.

1 hour ago, CosmicEmotion said:

I don't use Steam 💀

Tried once and it was hell to install any mods, because mod installers don't work with Linux either.

Might switch to Linux once I get all the data out of the drives, and set up W10 in a VM or something, just for the games. I have the cores and the RAM.

Caroline doesn't need to hear all this, she's a highly trained professional.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

It will yes, but not for free.

Anyways for the thread. I've already been switching more and more of my workflow to Linux. I'll utilize VMs for anything that doesn't work.

*laughs in ltsc

swap over to windows 11 ltsc once the iso is publically available for download, otherwise continue using w10 ltsc for the forseeable future (support apparently ends in 2032)

3 hours ago, Shimejii said:

I see no reason to upgrade to windows 11 as it still has not been shown to why they couldnt just have updated w10 with the features.

Windows 11 IS Windows 10 with updated features.  The reason for the name change was so they could change the minimum specifications rather than throwing some users under the bus by making a Windows 10 update no longer compatible with some PCs.

Now why they decided to ruin the UI while they were at it, I have no idea.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Windows 11's market share about three years in is much smaller compared to where Windows 10 was at this stage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decides to extend support for Windows 10 and offer extended security updates.

If Windows 12 ends up being a AI bloated mess, I plan on sticking with Windows 11.

5 hours ago, TheLANguy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft decides to extend support for Windows 10 and offer extended security updates.

They are offering extended updates after EOL, but only for those who will pay for it. Furthermore they are working on Windows 12, at least that's been the rumor. Microsoft is not going to make the same mistake they made with Windows XP, but supporting it all those years.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 hours ago, Caroline said:

I don't use Steam 💀

Tried once and it was hell to install any mods, because mod installers don't work with Linux either.

Might switch to Linux once I get all the data out of the drives, and set up W10 in a VM or something, just for the games. I have the cores and the RAM.

Oh, the game should work through Lutris as well. But for mods, yeah, I don't know.

Asus Zephurs Duo 2023: