Tod Howard says it's you, not Starfield.

Dedayog

You can't handle the game being different than what you're used to.  You're limited, the game doesn't suck, you do...

https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/todd-howard-reckons-he-knows-why-starfield-was-so-divisive-it-was-too-different-than-youve-seen-from-us-in-past/

Chatting with Kinda Funny, Howard said that many people have a very specific set of expectations when it comes to Bethesda's games: "We see a lot of players saying 'This is what I want out of a Bethesda game, which is to explore a world in a certain way, and Starfield didn't give me that. I prefer the way it's done in Fallout or Elder Scrolls.'"

And although Howard thinks that's "perfectly understandable," he says it's just not the experience Starfield sets out to provide. "I do think for us—particularly me—going into a science-fiction game, I want to be able to land on all the planets. I want the game to say 'Yes' to us, knowing that that content is gonna be different than you've seen from us in the past."

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Spoken like as true failure. Its been over a decade since they made a relevant game, and they have still yet to release a game without needing critical bug fixes within the first 3 months.

all with him at the lead. War never changes, and neither does Todd Howard lack of ability to make a functional and good game.

Posted (edited)

ya ill never buy another one of there games... dead to me.

too many other games that deserve the moeny and not wast my time.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

My issue with starfield and why i didn’t and still won’t buy it is not the gameplay. I personally enjoy mindlessly mowing down bandits in the same dungeons over and over.

It’s that the world they built and the stuff in it feels meaningless. None of the guns make any god damn sense, and they just reek of low effort. They’re the part that really did it in for me, no consideration at all to how they work, how they look, the lore behind them, nothing. They’re all just rushed hack jobs and it stands out that if they’d do that with a core attribute like the weapons, they’ve done worse to everything else.

I like some elements of Garfield but I (as well as many others, it seems) would've far preferred a smaller, more engaging world over a vast universe filled with lifeless procedurally generated landmarks, planets constituting of hundreds of miles nothing but sand and rock, etc.

It's too big. No one will ever realistically have time to explore the whole game world - and when you can only experience 1/10th of what it has to offer, you come away realizing how lacking that 1/10th is, not how impressive the full game might be. Why have a thousand planets that are not the slightest bit interesting when you could instead have eighty, each having more than two or three points of interest, unique wildlife... perhaps even terrain designed by living, breathing humans.

Todd: "Here is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich"

Us: "I paid for steak and potatoes, not a PB&J sandwich."

Todd: "YOU ARE THE ISSUE NOT ME"

Exploring worlds in Starfield is like watching the paint dry... Except there are no loading screens when waiting for the paint to dry. 

2 hours ago, WereCat said:

Except there are no loading screens when waiting for the paint to dry. 

Go in and out (mainly the out) of certain areas like the Lodge or just some random soulless cave or outpost. You will get your loading screens!

9 hours ago, 8tg said:

My issue with starfield and why i didn’t and still won’t buy it is not the gameplay. I personally enjoy mindlessly mowing down bandits in the same dungeons over and over.

It’s that the world they built and the stuff in it feels meaningless. None of the guns make any god damn sense, and they just reek of low effort. They’re the part that really did it in for me, no consideration at all to how they work, how they look, the lore behind them, nothing. They’re all just rushed hack jobs and it stands out that if they’d do that with a core attribute like the weapons, they’ve done worse to everything else.

Yep. In the first 20-30 minutes, I was kinda disappointed. Mostly due to expectations and hype, as much as I tried to keep them in check (Elder Scrolls and Fallout were some of my favorite franchises in the past). 

But then I DID get rather hooked on running around completing missions, for probably the next 8 hours of gameplay or so. I liked seeing the cities for the first time, and some of the quests seemed like they had a lot of promise (like the generation ship, etc). I thought I was looking at it with fresh eyes. Enjoying it like a more traditional space RPG game, rather than a traditional Bethesda game. 

But then suddenly, I just fell off of it again, and never went back. I really think it was the lack of exploration enjoyment, and sub par base building. Even the ship building was rather finicky.

I will give it another chance at some point. It wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens again though. I'm waiting as long as possible, to allow for as many updates as possible (not that I'm convinced the core gameplay will change much). But we'll see....

Tell me lies sweet little lies!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Doobeedoo said:

Tell me lies sweet little lies!

Todd Howard reminds me of Elon Musk.  Overhyping your shit ,and then under delivering with excuses.

Remember the "revolutionary" graphics that Fallout 76 was supposed to have?

I hate how they release a half-assed game and rely on modders to finish it and make it "good".  They're manipulators and fraudsters these days.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Bethesda has access to idtech engines and they continue to use the nasty old engine they love. 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:07 AM, da na said:

I like some elements of Garfield

Garfield is fucking awesome! im surprised anyone remembers... 😢

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

TES6 gonna sucks for sure. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yeah this guy seems too much into himself and his works that he'll deny negative comments. Few days back YT algorithm sent me a video about him being in a chess club back when he was young. Guy is blown out of proportion.

The one and last game from him I bought I think was Fallout 4, which was an utter piece of crap.

I don't think anybody would care if he just pulled a Playerunknown and quit the sector to enjoy his earnings... heck that might even be effective towards improving these cult titles, but he seems too obsessed with video game production that it seems to be a case of Ozzy Osbourne in here. No matter how much the end product sucks, he just won't stop.

15 hours ago, Motifator said:

Yeah this guy seems too much into himself and his works that he'll deny negative comments. Few days back YT algorithm sent me a video about him being in a chess club back when he was young. Guy is blown out of proportion.

The one and last game from him I bought I think was Fallout 4, which was an utter piece of crap.

I don't think anybody would care if he just pulled a Playerunknown and quit the sector to enjoy his earnings... heck that might even be effective towards improving these cult titles, but he seems too obsessed with video game production that it seems to be a case of Ozzy Osbourne in here. No matter how much the end product sucks, he just won't stop.

You're basing your entire viewpoint of a game studio on one game? Fallout 4 isn't the strongest in the series, but 'utter piece of crap' is such a bad take. You're seemingly ignoring the entire Elder Scrolls series too, which has several incredibly popular titles; Skyrim is one of the most successful games of all time, over 60 million copies have been sold.

Also, who genuinely thinks Ozzy and his other associated acts suck? Wtf?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

On 5/2/2024 at 3:39 PM, ToboRobot said:

Bethesda has access to idtech engines and they continue to use the nasty old engine they love.

They can barely put together a few lines of working code on their own in-house engine. What do you think would happen if they had to learn a new one?

Skyrim still relies on unofficial patches (mods) to fix basic bugs in the main game. The game is from 2011 and has received multiple refreshes over the years. Even for the refreshes, that included paid DLC, they relied on mods to provide the content they sold.

Bethesda had some good ideas with games in the past and created a good baseline for the modders to improve upon. But they have always been technically incompetent as far back as I can remember.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:06 AM, atxcyclist said:

Elder Scrolls

played it, terrible.  thank god it took me less than 2 hours to install like a gazillion mods and figure it out that its a god damn walking sim and insta refunded... oof.

over 60 million copies

yeah,  because people love their newd mods... zzZ

who genuinely thinks Ozzy

no offense, but he's super cringe. might have been funny in the 60s lol

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

played it, terrible.  thank god it took me less than 2 hours to install like a gazillion mods and figure it out that its a god damn walking sim and insta refunded... oof.

yeah,  because people love their newd mods... zzZ

no offense, but he's super cringe. might have been funny in the 60s lol

Two people’s negative takes on a massively popular game series, are not going to change all the tens of millions of players opinions on it. I’ve never modded any Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, and I’ve played a lot of them. I understand there’s some subjective opinions about games, but someone calling-out a whole studio after only playing one game in one of a few massively popular series they’ve made is just ridiculous.

Also, Ozzy Osborne is a musician and not a comedian that has to be funny, so I’m not sure what is “cringe” about that. Again there are subjective takes on music but he is one of the more popular musicians.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

but someone calling-out a whole studio after only playing one game in one of a few massively popular series they’ve made is just ridiculous.

who said it's the only game i played?

why is someone's opinion who doesn't like walking simulators "ridiculous"?

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

Ozzy Osborne is a musician and not a comedian

tbth, i don't think he got that memo...

im not saying anything about the music cause that's subjective... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

54 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

who said it's the only game i played?

why is someone's opinion who doesn't like walking simulators "ridiculous"?

tbth, i don't think he got that memo...

im not saying anything about the music cause that's subjective... 

I didn’t claim you said it, you quoted my response to someone else; They said they played one game Bethesda made and that made them hate all of their games. You inserted yourself into a conversation and then wondered why the discussion wasn’t about you.

And I don’t know what you expect from an open-world game with a large map, you will have to walk around in it, but that doesn’t make a game a “walking simulator” as there’s plenty to do. Perhaps open-world adventure games just are not a genre you enjoy.

Ozzy Osborne has one of the longest careers in music, whatever memo he could get about his comedy chops is surely irrelevant to him, and the people that listen to his music. 

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R