NERDFORGE ... builds a new computer ... and puts a coffee machine INSIDE the case

Two favourite things ... computer tech and coffee.
She actually disassembled a bean grinder and coffee machine and put them inside a working rig,
and then made it look good, cause thats what she does.

Check this out.

and a closeup still

Nerdforge.jpg

No agree on "looking good", IMO. Isn't most her works like... wooden stuff? Not a fan of wood works when it comes to PC.

Also I haven't seen this individual in long.

33 minutes ago, Motifator said:

No agree on "looking good", IMO. Isn't most her works like... wooden stuff? Not a fan of wood works when it comes to PC.

Actually the vast majority of her work materials are high density foam she builds her things out of, and she is also known for her leather carving work.
Her studio space, especially the area this rig is installed in, is very much a vertical wood strip aesthetic ... so this matches.
The point is ... its a coffee machine. 

Saw this yesterday. I think it looks nice, but I was hoping that she was going to find a way to heat the water using the system. Still cool.

So it's a computer that overclocks its user? 🤔

31 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Saw this yesterday. I think it looks nice, but I was hoping that she was going to find a way to heat the water using the system. Still cool.

It would take a lot of processing power to generate enough heat to get a sufficient amount of water hot enough for coffee-making. 750 watts is a lot of power draw for a computer, but that's still half of what a regular ol' Mr. Coffee draws. You would also need some kind of heat exchanger, or else every part of the loop would have to be made with food-safe materials and you'd only be able to run straight water through it.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

12 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

Besides the lack of wattage in a PC, you also don't like the temperatures this would require. A coffee machine boils some water to drive the "pump". So at sea level you need 100°C. That would require a pressurized fluid loop and the GPU, CPU etc. to maybe be at 120°C or even more to get the heater transfer. Maybe you could use a gravity fed system to not boil the water. But you still need to heat water to maybe 80-90°C or so. Again, the components being over 100°C constantly.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

2 minutes ago, Lurking said:

Besides the lack of wattage in a PC, you also don't like the temperatures this would require. A coffee machine boils some water to drive the "pump". So at sea level you need 100°C. That would require a pressurized fluid loop and the GPU, CPU etc. to maybe be at 120°C or even more to get the heater transfer. Maybe you could use a gravity fed system to not boil the water. But you still need to heat water to maybe 80-90°C or so. Again, the components being over 100°C constantly.

I would say, if the person is providing a heavy workload, it might be possible to at least maintain water at a temperature that would produce decent enough coffee.

The biggest thing is you would need to really super insolate the water container and pipes to make sure that you don't lose any of the heat of the water from the CPU/GPU.  I wouldn't necessarily say it lacks the wattage, because you should be able to heat up water to almost the temperature...it just will take a really really long time to the point of essentially being impractical.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

9 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

So it's a computer that overclocks its user? 🤔

It would take a lot of processing power to generate enough heat to get a sufficient amount of water hot enough for coffee-making. 750 watts is a lot of power draw for a computer, but that's still half of what a regular ol' Mr. Coffee draws.

Not saying it would be simple but it's what I was expecting the project to be. You wouldn't need 750 watts for a a single cup Keurig style.

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

4 minutes ago, StarsMars said:

You wouldn't need 750 watts for a a single cup keurig style.

Nope, you'd need double that.

https://support.keurig.com/?kmContentId=10164005&page=shell&shell=knowledge-article

What is the power usage of the Keurig® K-Duo™Special Edition Single Serve & Carafe coffee maker?

Published on Jan 20, 2023

The Keurig® K-Duo™ Special Edition coffee maker can be powered by a 120 VAC source (50/60 Hz). The current UL rating is for 1,470 watts and can be found on the base of the brewer (be cautious if tipping brewer over to look at base).

It takes a ton of energy to heat water to just under its boiling point. (Ideally, coffee should be brewed at around 200 degrees freedom.) The entire loop would have to be heat soaked or the CPU would have to run at just below the limit where it thermal throttles.

Making coffee off a water cooling loop would be cool, but I don't think it's feasible.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

The entire loop would have to be heat soaked or the CPU would have to run at just below the limit where it thermal throttles.

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF by MOODMAN

28 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

I would say, if the person is providing a heavy workload, it might be possible to at least maintain water at a temperature that would produce decent enough coffee.

The biggest thing is you would need to really super insolate the water container and pipes to make sure that you don't lose any of the heat of the water from the CPU/GPU.  I wouldn't necessarily say it lacks the wattage, because you should be able to heat up water to almost the temperature...it just will take a really really long time to the point of essentially being impractical.

What is the water temperature you want to make coffee? Wherever you get the heat from, always has to be warmer than that unless you use a heat pump. 

So if you need 80°C water, your GPU, RAM, CPU etc. all need to be way warmer than that for a long time.

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

12 minutes ago, wanderingfool2 said:

NVidia cards if you stress them should be hitting close to 90C before they really do throttling.  That should be more than enough to reach a minimal required temps for make at least passable coffee.  With that said as well, there are some people who roast there coffee at 70C...not saying that it will be great coffee, but it should be enough to make at least coffee which some people like.

With that said, it would be impractical in any sense...but it's still technically feasible [not sure with all the insulation if it would be able to be made into something that looks decent and likely not great for your components...but still possible]

Some people also make iced coffee by just soaking the coffee in room temperature water for a day. I guess that would work with any PC 🙂

I think we all agree it being impractical for standard drip coffee that needs higher temps quicker. 

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

W11 Pro

Love the build, I wonder how easy she made to clean it though. 

<removed by staff>

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content.

-= Cleaned =-

When a topic derails... adding to the derailment is just as bad. 🤨

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I'd love to see LTT attempt to remake this, I feel it would go horribly wrong very fast and it would be entertaining content to watch! 😂

11 hours ago, Lurking said:

What is the water temperature you want to make coffee?

That's another issue. Different coffee grinds will need water at different temperatures.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

9 hours ago, StrxmyDev said:

I'd love to see LTT attempt to remake this, I feel it would go horribly wrong very fast and it would be entertaining content to watch! 😂

I think Alex probably already has some ideas.

• 2 weeks later...