Is it possible to make a laptop with Intel Arc GPU and AMD Ryzen CPU?

As you know, Arc GPUs work on Ryzen so is it possible to make a laptop with Intel Arc GPU and AMD Ryzen CPU? Laptops with Intel CPU and AMD GPU exist plus laptops with AMD CPU and Nvidia GPU.

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible, but Nvidia seems pretty locked into the gaming laptop market with there geforce branding and better power efficiency. Intel likely gives discounts if you get a intel CPU + GPU which is why a few of those exist. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible, but Nvidia seems pretty locked into the gaming laptop market with there geforce branding and better power efficiency. Intel likely gives discounts if you get a intel CPU + GPU which is why a few of those exist. 

So you think it's possible? If so why?

Just now, goatedpenguin said:

If it can run on a desktop it can probably run on a laptop

So does it make sense for laptop companies to make Arc/Ryzen laptops? or it should not exist?

It’s kinda like making a Chevrolet with a Toyota engine. In order to pull it off they’d have to convince the consumers it’s one or the other brand. *cough* Chevy prism *cough*

Theres no reason why it wouldn’t work from a functional standpoint. Hardware isn’t picky like that. Technically the only thing keeping Apple from shoving a mobile rtx 4090 into an m3 MacBook Pro is their target audience doesn’t want a 4090 in their MacBook Pro.

AMD laptops in general seem to hit two markets, apu based light gaming machines or higher end gaming machines with nvidia cards. AMDs own higher end mobile GPU stuff is pretty dead and just isn’t viewed the same way as the nvidia products to the consumer.

I think arc would fit in well for some hybrid workstation products. Something where a Quadro isn’t required but more than an igpu is needed. 

5 minutes ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

So does it make sense for laptop companies to make Arc/Ryzen laptops? or it should not exist?

Is there a big market for these laptops? Nvidia seems to have make them the 'better' brand for consumers, which likely helps drive sales over other brands. Better power efficiency helps too. I can see this making some sense with the right price, but with 4060 laptops being fairly cheap, I think it leaves a pretty small spot in the market for these. 

It's never about if it's possible. It's a PC component, it's even possible to pair things that's not available on desktop. Remember those ryzen 7 6800u handheld pc/laptops? Those are zen3 but has ddr5 rams. While desktop zen3 like 5000 series motherboards are only paired with ddr4. So it's never a matter of if it's possible, it's a matter if there's anyone want's to do it and will they do it.

The question "does it make sense for laptop companies to make Arc/Ryzen laptops" is also not right, it's not wrong, but it's not right. The reason why we see ryzen/nvidia laptops is because nvidia is pushing and actively contracting laptop makers and vise-versa. It's not about not or being possible, it's about intel wanting and doing it. There was also no market for handheld pc just a few years ago until someone made a market for it.

18 minutes ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

It's not about whether its technically feasible (of course it is, why wouldn't it), it's about whether it makes sense financially. Is such a system going to sell in significant enough numbers to offset the R&D and manufacturing costs? If not, then nobody's going to build one.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, 8tg said:

It’s kinda like making a Chevrolet with a Toyota engine. In order to pull it off they’d have to convince the consumers it’s one or the other brand. *cough* Chevy prism *cough*

Theres no reason why it wouldn’t work from a functional standpoint. Hardware isn’t picky like that. Technically the only thing keeping Apple from shoving a mobile rtx 4090 into an m3 MacBook Pro is their target audience doesn’t want a 4090 in their MacBook Pro.

AMD laptops in general seem to hit two markets, apu based light gaming machines or higher end gaming machines with nvidia cards. AMDs own higher end mobile GPU stuff is pretty dead and just isn’t viewed the same way as the nvidia products to the consumer.

I think arc would fit in well for some hybrid workstation products. Something where a Quadro isn’t required but more than an igpu is needed. 

I have other 2 analogies:

1: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like marrying your arch-enemy's sister.

2: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like attending American high school while wearing Russian high school uniform.

Desktop parts with low TDP or laptop parts with low TDP used on vise-versa platforms haven't been new. The Alder Lake 7W N100 is a great laptop / mini PC chip, both.

2 minutes ago, Motifator said:

Desktop parts with low TDP or laptop parts with low TDP used on vise-versa platforms haven't been new. The Alder Lake 7W N100 is a great laptop / mini PC chip, both.

Yeah, So you think it's possible to make a mini PC with Ryzen CPU and Arc GPU too?

46 minutes ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

I have other 2 analogies:

1: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like marrying your arch-enemy's sister.

2: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like attending American high school while wearing Russian high school uniform.

1. If there is more plus side in marrying my arch-enemy sister than the negative side of having my arch-enemy as my brother-in-law, why not.

Who knows, we might end up becoming closer and fight someone else that bugs us together.

2. If it doesn't break school regulation, why not? unless you are saying every US student is racist and/or superficial, which I'm pretty sure not.

Business relationship doesn't work like high schoolers relationship, not even in strictly "Enemies today friend tomorrow" basis.

As long it brings enough profit even rivals will team up. Especially if it means a common adversary might lose profit at the same time.

Anyway,

AMD/Intel/Nvidia doesn't really care if their product is paired with Intel/AMD/Nvidia, their CPU/GPU is still being bought.

They want only their products being used of course, and they're going to try their best to pitch their own products, to the point of giving incentives or something like that. But it's up to the manufacturer to pick what to put in their product. And they (laptop manufacturers) doesn't give a shit even if the 3 companies actually arch-enemies or friends with each other, because they too only care about 1 thing, profit.

What they (any manufacturer) really care is their product isn't selling or not being used at all. Because that means less profit and less market share, or atleast might end up in less market presence.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Yes but Intel will have to first design and make available an ARC GPU to be embedded in a system that has a separate CPU

Can they make one? They can if they want to.

Will they make one? IDFK

Why won't they make one? IDFK

Can or will anyone on this forum convince Intel to make one? No

Can or will anyone on this forum make one for you? No

Will making posts on forums to ask about possibilities, result in new product available on the market? No

Will throwing a tantrum or expression of feelings change any of the above answers? No

I'm done here. Have a good day. I hope you make better use of your time

9 hours ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like marrying your arch-enemy's sister.

This makes no sense there are plenty of laptops/desktops with a ryzen cpu and a nvidia gpu there is no competition. Both are getting their cut.

Like many other have said you have to ask WHY would pc builders do it?

5 hours ago, Salted Spinach said:

Yes but Intel will have to first design and make available an ARC GPU to be embedded in a system that has a separate CPU

Can they make one? They can if they want to.

Will they make one? IDFK

Why won't they make one? IDFK

Can or will anyone on this forum convince Intel to make one? No

Can or will anyone on this forum make one for you? No

Will making posts on forums to ask about possibilities, result in new product available on the market? No

Will throwing a tantrum or expression of feelings change any of the above answers? No

I'm done here. Have a good day. I hope you make better use of your time

This is just a question not a fourm post forcing Intel to do that.

Surprised no one has mentioned yet that Intel CPUs are paired with AMD graphics in laptops quite frequently, and they have been for well over 20 years,going back into the ATi days. Pairing a Ryzen with Arc would be no different. Doesn't matter that companies are competitors,they can kiss and make up if it means more profit for both of them. Else, there'd be no Ryzen laptops with GeForce graphics, AMD would only use their own parts.

Going back 18 yrs or so, the only way to get an AMD CPU in a laptop was through an Nvidia northbridge chipset. AMD didn't start making their own chipsets until like '06? when they acquired ATi.

30 minutes ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

This is just a question not a fourm post forcing Intel to do that.

It's not just up to Intel though. You'd first need at least one laptop manufacturer interested in making such a machine. That will only happen if they see a market for it.

AMD and/or Intel could potentially veto it, if they didn't want their hardware mixed with a competitor's in that way. Though I'm not sure why they would.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 hours ago, da na said:

Surprised no one has mentioned yet that Intel CPUs are paired with AMD graphics in laptops quite frequently, and they have been for well over 20 years,going back into the ATi days. Pairing a Ryzen with Arc would be no different. Doesn't matter that companies are competitors,they can kiss and make up if it means more profit for both of them. Else, there'd be no Ryzen laptops with GeForce graphics, AMD would only use their own parts.

Going back 18 yrs or so, the only way to get an AMD CPU in a laptop was through an Nvidia northbridge chipset. AMD didn't start making their own chipsets until like '06? when they acquired ATi.

That would be like putting Burger King Whopper meat (AMD Ryzen) in a McDonald's Big Mac (Intel Arc) and me (Intel Arc) having a arch-enemy (AMD Ryzen) in high school that you don't trust yet you both have to work together to solve the school's biggest issue (Chip shortage from 2020-2022).

4 hours ago, da na said:

The chipset was called nForce.

17 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

1. If there is more plus side in marrying my arch-enemy sister than the negative side of having my arch-enemy as my brother-in-law, why not.

Who knows, we might end up becoming closer and fight someone else that bugs us together.

2. If it doesn't break school regulation, why not? unless you are saying every US student is racist and/or superficial, which I'm pretty sure not.

Business relationship doesn't work like high schoolers relationship, not even in strictly "Enemies today friend tomorrow" basis.

As long it brings enough profit even rivals will team up. Especially if it means a common adversary might lose profit at the same time.

Anyway,

AMD/Intel/Nvidia doesn't really care if their product is paired with Intel/AMD/Nvidia, their CPU/GPU is still being bought.

They want only their products being used of course, and they're going to try their best to pitch their own products, to the point of giving incentives or something like that. But it's up to the manufacturer to pick what to put in their product. And they (laptop manufacturers) doesn't give a shit even if the 3 companies actually arch-enemies or friends with each other, because they too only care about 1 thing, profit.

What they (any manufacturer) really care is their product isn't selling or not being used at all. Because that means less profit and less market share, or atleast might end up in less market presence.

1: Having a plus side in marrying your arch-enemy's sister means Intel Arc performing well in Ryzen and fighting people that bugs us means chip shortage, Right?

2: No regulations about attending American high school while wearing Russian high school uniform means PCI-Express GPUs can be used with any CPU/Mobo and your US student is racist quote means Intel/AMD fanboys, right?

18 hours ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

Desktops and laptops are fundamentally the same. Desktops can be shrunk down to a laptop form factor(and maybe with some reductions in performance due to thermal and power constraints). 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Desktops and laptops are fundamentally the same. Desktops can be shrunk down to a laptop form factor(and maybe with some reductions in performance due to thermal and power constraints). 

What does matter is if it's financially viable.

12 minutes ago, da na said:

oh I'm well aware lol. Posting from one

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.469ee7368eaf10c29bef35a0a8014d75.png

That's very old, My Phenom is newer than it.