Is it possible to make a laptop with Intel Arc GPU and AMD Ryzen CPU?

Just now, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

What does matter is if it's financially viable.

That's another aspect of the puzzle. But there's nothing technical preventing an Arc GPU being used with a Ryzen CPU in a laptop form factor. It all has to work together, both from a financial viable perspective(making it cheap enough, and people actually buying it), and a technical perspective. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, da na said:

hey that's not a nice thing to say :old-sad: 

The groundbreaking K9 dual-core architecture would be sad

Sorry. I'm a little carried away. I'm on K10.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's another aspect of the puzzle. But there's nothing technical preventing an Arc GPU being used with a Ryzen CPU in a laptop form factor. It all has to work together, both from a financial viable perspective(making it cheap enough, and people actually buying it), and a technical perspective. 

To follow up, laptop GPUs connect over the same interface as they do in desktops. Slot might not be the same, if there even is one, but the protocol is identical. Going back to the 90s, you'd have laptops with dGPUs connected over AGP x4, but soldered to the board. What's MXM? It's PCIe. What's ExpressCard? PCIe x1. What's NVMe? You guessed it. It's all PCIe. 

So that said, a PCIe graphics card would work just fine connected to a PCIe capable CPU. Even if it's soldered, an Arc card would communicate just the same with a laptop Ryzen as a desktop card would with a desktop CPU.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Okay, What's your best analogy from using an Arc GPU in a Ryzen CPU?

Mine are these:

1: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like marrying your arch-enemy's sister.

2: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like attending American high school while wearing Russian high school uniform.

3: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like putting Burger King Whopper meat (AMD Ryzen) in a McDonald's Big Mac (Intel Arc).

4: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like me (Intel Arc) having a arch-enemy (AMD Ryzen) in high school that you don't trust yet you both have to work together to solve the school's biggest issue (Chip shortage from 2020-2022).

2 hours ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

Okay, What's your best analogy from using an Arc GPU in a Ryzen CPU?

Mine are these:

1: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like marrying your arch-enemy's sister.

2: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like attending American high school while wearing Russian high school uniform.

3: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like putting Burger King Whopper meat (AMD Ryzen) in a McDonald's Big Mac (Intel Arc).

4: Pairing an Intel Arc GPU with a Ryzen CPU is like me (Intel Arc) having a arch-enemy (AMD Ryzen) in high school that you don't trust yet you both have to work together to solve the school's biggest issue (Chip shortage from 2020-2022).

I really don't see the point you are trying to make, its another level of stupidity.

You could say that pairing an intel cpu with an nvidia gpu is bad

a intel cpu with a amd gpu is bad 

a amd gpu with a intel cpu is bad

like dude if everyone thought like you then prebuilts/laptops would not exist. 

All becuase of competition LMAO  

5 hours ago, BTSHalfLifeAndGmodFan2003 said:

What does matter is if it's financially viable.

That's basically all that matters to a company. Does it sell and does it make more money than it cost to make?

Would Intel prefer a sale that includes both their CPU and GPU? Sure, more money for them. But if that doesn't sell, a machine with an Intel CPU and a competitors GPU is still better than no sale. Likewise AMD would certainly prefer an all-AMD laptop, but a laptop with their CPU and an Intel or Nvidia GPU is preferable to a laptop with no AMD parts in it whatsoever.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply