BOINC Pentathlon 2024

Huh what's the strat for CUL?

Yesderday I got both an 8-thread one and a 16-thread one, they took the same time to complete and I was expecting the 16-thread one would be twice as big, but they returned the same number of points...

Seems giving them more threads is stupid, should do more at a time instead

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Huh what's the strat for CUL?

Yesderday I got both an 8-thread one and a 16-thread one, they took the same time to complete and I was expecting the 16-thread one would be twice as big, but they returned the same number of points...

Seems giving them more threads is stupid, should do more at a time instead

The points per task is the same, the thread count you configure on the site is mostly about getting more tasks to run at once if your L3+L2 cache size is large enough. If you have a 16 thread CPU an 8 thread and 16 thread tasks will basically take the same amount of time since far as I understand it these CUL tasks are just a cache workload more than anything else. I'm sure there is a minimum thread count but past a certain point more threads likely wont help.

Divide your L3 cache amount by 22.5 and that is how many you should try and run at once, so take that figure and divide your core count (not thread).

I think we have hit our stable City Run daily production rate after the server changes improved things, looks like we need more.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSauXlq4yCy8HGIl7r4_eU

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

The tasks will be generated for the number of threads reported by the client, unless limited in PrimeGrid project preferences. I guess if you have different BOINC settings for "in use" and "idle" that could also affect it.

Since each task does roughly the same amount of work, they get about the same points. Up to user to optimise throughput. It does scale with core count, not thread count if cores are exceeded. It is not perfect scaling. I went into this in more detail at 

12 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think we have hit our stable City Run daily production rate after the server changes improved things, looks like we need more.

Been looking to moderate my power usage but I'll throw a few cores on it today shortly.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

@danwat1234 One of the events chosen this year is SiDock which you are currently running, yayyyyy 😀

you-nailed-it-michael-scott-5r04ab4mfqsoepzc.gif

Nice guess I'll pwn that one! Good timing because I think shortly after this time period, Sidock may have a quiet period as it transitions to another batch after the Huge, long "corona_RdRp_v2" currently 84% complete. https://www.sidock.si/sidock/server_status.php

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

The points per task is the same, the thread count you configure on the site is mostly about getting more tasks to run at once if your L3+L2 cache size is large enough.

Divide your L3 cache amount by 22.5 and that is how many you should try and run at once, so take that figure and divide your core count (not thread).

So I have a 12900H (6 p-cores 8 e-cores 24MB), a 5700X (8 cores 32MB), and a 7950X (16 cores 64MB).

sounds like it makes sense to put the latter two on 8 cores per task, but the former should be 14 cores per task? How would I accomplish that with the online settings?

(If it makes a difference I’m using BAM)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSauXlq4yCy8HGIl7r4_eU

Also, I’m current splitting time between the marathon and the city run, should I move to city run only?

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

18 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

12900H (6 p-cores 8 e-cores 24MB)

6 cores for this one

5700X (8 cores 32MB)

Yep correct, 8 for this

7950X (16 cores 64MB)

8 cores which will allow 2 tasks to run at once

How would I accomplish that with the online settings?

Configure Work, Home etc profiles then under Your Computers change their location to the profile you have configured for that hardware

17 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Also, I’m current splitting time between the marathon and the city run, should I move to city run only?

Probably all City Run would be better yea, then we can go through the PrimeGrid optimization after that.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

6 cores for this one

@will0hlep You could also try 14 like you suggested and see if better but I suspect it won't be any faster, more worried it'll be slower but I don't know how likely that will be. 

@porina ??

@will0hlep You could also try 14 like you suggested and see if better but I suspect it won't be any faster, more worried it'll be slower but I don't know how likely that will be. 

@porina ??

Unfortunately I have no experience of Intel hybrid CPUs nor do I recall what others have used. I'd guess sticking with P cores only is probably best.

Maybe put that CPU instead on Ramanujan since I don't think it cares and you might even get more credit from having slow cores 😄 

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Probably all City Run would be better yea, then we can go through the PrimeGrid optimization after that.

Okay, I’ll move it them over when I get home.

Would you suggest trying to set the 12900H to only use 6 cores per task but also only do 1 task at a time? (Only have enough cache for 1 task at a time (as discussed), but that way the slower E cores are removed from the equation)

He/Him

15 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Would you suggest trying to set the 12900H to only use 6 cores per task but also only do 1 task at a time? (Only have enough cache for 1 task at a time (as discussed), but that way the slower E cores are removed from the equation)

Yep, on the PrimeGrid website for that profile set it to 1 task only so it doesn't try and run 2 or use BOINC Client and set allowed CPUs to 43%.

2nd Jav throw date has been announced: 12-13 May 2024 00:00 UTC. Probably suggest we give this one a try if we aren't going to be able to gain any places in City Run. Otherwise skip and then do the last 3 with 3 being the minimum and the 3rd lowest being the score used. Also keep in mind we have to do the Marathon too.

Do we know when the obstacle days will be for the Steeplechase?

He/Him

20 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Do we know when the obstacle days will be for the Steeplechase?

No, they will ne announced only on the day of to make it harder to bunker for the bonus day

I put a shout out on the folding board for the jav 

Just now, GOTSpectrum said:

TeamLTT tomorrow our brothers in arms over on the BOINC side need our help! 

Please can you run the NFS@Home CPU project? 

We need as many people running it as possible, there will be two other days that need running. 

Currently announced days are as follows:

Start: 10 May 2024 00:00 UTC
End: 11 May 2024 00:00 UTC

Start: 12 May 2024 00:00 UTC

End: 13 May 2024 00:00 UTC

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

Otherwise skip and then do the last 3 with 3 being the minimum and the 3rd lowest being the score used

So is the thinking we won't compete in the first one and I should leave all CPU resources on City Run until the 12th?

It's getting warm in here now...

Can't wait for a GPU project...

DSC_0984.JPG

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

We broke 50k on the city run during the last update 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

22 minutes ago, GOTSpectrum said:

It's getting warm in here now...

Can't wait for a GPU project...

DSC_0984.JPG

itsfine.gif.eddd15ccba40e3b3e04082a8627d9ea4.gif

My Folding Stats

Current Rigs

Raspberry Pi 5 8GB, Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, Raspberry Pi 3, Raspberry Pi Zero W, Raspberry Pi Zero...I like Pi

Fractal North,ASRock Riptide B550, Ryzen 7 5700X, 6700XT with custom CPU/GPU loop.

I still don't understand why it values units from my desktop so much less with the CPU time completely wrong...

image.thumb.png.2e72528abc96d997d891561a1dce93f9.png

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Hopefully I'll have my 48 core epyc for next year's pent 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240