Jump to content

Asus Swift OLED PG27AQDM green/red fringe issues

NikitaSvk

Heya, just bought PG27AQDM following some rating on the web.
The font issues are manageable but green/red lines around yellow elements are extremely distracting for me

image.png.c71cb66374c72a30819276ac219fc14d.pngimage.png.5f929cb8290f2434e15c5eadb79f9fa0.png

 

Multiple reddit commenters mentioned that this is due to subpixel layout, and "it is what it is". So I plan to return this monitor.

So, I have several unresolved questions regarding OLED monitors:

1) Is this issue a common thing for all of them? I plan to use this display for day to day work tasks as well, not only for gaming.

2) If not - what OLED monitor would you advise?
3) which rating / top10 lists should I trust? There are too many of them, and I'm not very familiar with its sources

 

Thanks in advance for any response

Edited by NikitaSvk
typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, NikitaSvk said:

Heya, just bought PG27AQDM following some rating on the web.
The font issued are manageable but green/red lines around yellow elements are extremely distracting for me

image.png.c71cb66374c72a30819276ac219fc14d.pngimage.png.5f929cb8290f2434e15c5eadb79f9fa0.png

 

Multiple reddit commenters mentioned that this is due to subpixel layout, and "it is what it is". So I plan to return this monitor.

So, I have several unresolved questions regarding OLED monitors:

1) Is this issue a common thing for all of them? I plan to use this display for day to day work tasks as well, not only for gaming.

2) If not - what OLED monitor would you advise?
3) which rating / top10 lists should I trust? There are too many of them, and I'm not very familiar with its sources

 

Thanks in advance for any response

Samsung's QLED VA panel I've found to be 'just as good' as OLED, even boasts the same 1M:1 contrast. Its sort of a standard VA but they put a ridiculously complex backlight in it. The best example that's going on sale here and there is the Neo G8.

 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" Curved 4K UHD FreeSync Premium Pro & G-Sync Compatible 240Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor Black LS32BG852NNXGO - Best Buy

 

The downside being that its like a standard VA panel unless you enable HDR. Once I started doing that, all desire I had to replace it with an OLED died. I haven't had any difficulty forcing HDR on everything in Windows 11 at this point, so its less of a concern now in 2024 with how good HDR support is across the board.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

All OLED panels have inferior text clarity compared to regular LCD monitors. The newer 32" 4K panels brute force better text clarity with higher resolution, so the artifacts are still there, but much smaller, so less noticeable.

 

Still, it's odd that my 42" C2 doesn't have this problem, even though LG's BWGR subpixel layout is known to be the worst OLED technology for text clarity. I use it at 150% scaling in windows and there are no problems with color fringing in any situation. And it has a similar pixel density to your 27" 1440p model.

 

Maybe try to bump up the scaling to 125% or play around with different clear type settings.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

All OLED panels have inferior text clarity compared to regular LCD monitors. The newer 32" 4K panels brute force better text clarity with higher resolution, so the artifacts are still there, but much smaller, so less noticeable.

 

Still, it's odd that my 42" C2 doesn't have this problem, even though LG's BWGR subpixel layout is known to be the worst OLED technology for text clarity. I use it at 150% scaling in windows and there are no problems with color fringing in any situation. And it has a similar pixel density to your 27" 1440p model.

 

Maybe try to bump up the scaling to 125% or play around with different clear type settings.

Thank you for the response! Text issues are not really critical for me, as I found numerous solutions online, and it looks more or less okay now. The problem is red and green lines everywhere around yellow objects (example on screenshots)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that the fringing on text with most of the OLEDs I have seen is worse than my CRT. It's something you will have to live with for now and the best OLED display that I have seen with the least amount of fringing is the Sony Bravia OLED TVs, but that's a TV.

 

Do what @Stahlmannsaid and bump up the resolution scaling and give that a try.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
 
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

It seems that the fringing on text with most of the OLEDs I have seen is worse than my CRT. It's something you will have to live with for now and the best OLED display that I have seen with the least amount of fringing is the Sony Bravia OLED TVs, but that's a TV.

 

Do what @Stahlmannsaid and bump up the resolution scaling and give that a try.

Tried that, green and red lines still there

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NikitaSvk said:

Tried that, green and red lines still there

Their not going to be completely gone, but maybe less noticeable.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
 
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, MadAnt250 said:

Their not going to be completely gone, but maybe less noticeable.

Unfortunately this made it even worse, e.g. chrome icon is now bigger and this red outline is even worse.
Could you advise another, less problematic, OLED monitor? Or should I stick to IPS?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, NikitaSvk said:

Unfortunately this made it even worse, e.g. chrome icon is now bigger and this red outline is even worse.
Could you advise another, less problematic, OLED monitor? Or should I stick to IPS?

IDK, every OLED monitor I have seen has color fringing around the text and stuff. Like you, I notice it more than other people do and I use a CRT for gaming and editing which is another type of display where color fringing can be seen, but it's somehow better on that. 

You could try sitting farther away, maybe you are too close to the display.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)
 
Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah different sub-pixel layout on current OLEDs vs LCDs but also MS doesn't care to update Windows for different sub-pixel layout. So 4K will look better, it generaly does but with this issue higher res obviously helps. Look at phones. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both top OLED manufacturers have shown that they can change the subpixel structure. I understand that LG still has to incorporate their white subpixels, so they have 1 too many, but I don't understand why Samsung doesn't just make a regular RGB stripe layout and ditch all this crap. The fact that they changed the layout from 1st to 2nd generation shows that they know it's a problem.

 

I'd really like to know why both panel manufacturers are dancing around the problem instead of fixing it.


Same with their ambient light reflecting coating on QD OLED panels. Why don't they change it if they know it's a problem?

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

I'd really like to know why both panel manufacturers are dancing around the problem instead of fixing it.

Considering your knowledge about this problem, would you advise looking into OLED-based monitors for gaming+work? Which direction should I be looking? IPS/VA?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, NikitaSvk said:

Considering your knowledge about this problem, would you advise looking into OLED-based monitors for gaming+work? Which direction should I be looking? IPS/VA?

Especially since you also do work, I'd recommend to go for regular LCD monitors. The Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 is a good Mini LED VA monitor. If you want to still try your luck with OLED, go for one of the 32" 4K models.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Agall said:

Samsung's QLED VA panel I've found to be 'just as good' as OLED, even boasts the same 1M:1 contrast. Its sort of a standard VA but they put a ridiculously complex backlight in it. The best example that's going on sale here and there is the Neo G8.

 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G8 32" Curved 4K UHD FreeSync Premium Pro & G-Sync Compatible 240Hz 1ms Gaming Monitor Black LS32BG852NNXGO - Best Buy

 

The downside being that its like a standard VA panel unless you enable HDR. Once I started doing that, all desire I had to replace it with an OLED died. I haven't had any difficulty forcing HDR on everything in Windows 11 at this point, so its less of a concern now in 2024 with how good HDR support is across the board.

I have the Neo G8 and it's mediocre with dark content and with bright content (like most websites) the screen kind of flickers like it can't handle a white screen. It has a very aggressive anti-glare screen coating, but it makes dark content very hard to see. Next to it I have the Apple Studio Display, and while I know it's not a fair comparison because it's a glossy display... the difference is night and day. The Neo G7 is essentially the same monitor but with less coating.

 

I haven't returned it because I can live with the monitor kind of flickering, and I really like having a curved 32-inch monitor. Plus, setting up my desk again sounds like a pain. I bought it the same time Helldivers 2 came out and it's wonderful.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, saintlouisbagels said:

I have the Neo G8 and it's mediocre with dark content and with bright content (like most websites) the screen kind of flickers like it can't handle a white screen. It has a very aggressive anti-glare screen coating, but it makes dark content very hard to see. Next to it I have the Apple Studio Display, and while I know it's not a fair comparison because it's a glossy display... the difference is night and day. The Neo G7 is essentially the same monitor but with less coating.

 

I haven't returned it because I can live with the monitor kind of flickering, and I really like having a curved 32-inch monitor. Plus, setting up my desk again sounds like a pain. I bought it the same time Helldivers 2 came out and it's wonderful.

I've had one for >1.5 years, never seen these issues. Would probably be best to have it serviced before any warranty expires if you've already tried all the other options.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Agall said:

I've had one for >1.5 years, never seen these issues. Would probably be best to have it serviced before any warranty expires if you've already tried all the other options.

I went through the Panel lottery with my last monitor.. it took 4 tries of varying degrees of cracked screen and dead pixels.

I'm totally okay with screen flickering on white screens every now and then on a 1st try lol.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×