Need help searching for a dvd player with specific features

Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

Just looking for "portable blu ray player" brings up a plethora of devices that all basically do what you want.

But unless that isn't feasible for your use case, I'd really much rather go with a usb-c blu ray drive. That way you can watch the videos on any laptop, that is almost sure to have a better screen and better battery life. And for modern laptops you can also get a USB-C power bank to increase the battery life even further. Most portable blu ray players will need AC power.

I'm not sure what to type into Google as I'm being quite specific so if anyone knows or if it doesn't exist please let me know.

I'm looking for a dvd player that I can take with me everywhere like on holiday and stuff so something portable.

Has a built in display so I can just put in a dvd and watch it on the player itself 

Capable of running blue rays and regular dvds

Has an hdmi port so I can connect it to any other display as if I was at a mates house for example. 

Good battery life 

In case I'm being too picky my top priority features I want is a built in display and blue ray capability.

Thank you very much I'll keep looking to see if I can find what I'm looking for but if you know of anything like it or similar please list it.

16 minutes ago, IR76 said:

I'm not sure what to type into Google as I'm being quite specific so if anyone knows or if it doesn't exist please let me know.

I'm looking for a dvd player that I can take with me everywhere like on holiday and stuff so something portable.

Has a built in display so I can just put in a dvd and watch it on the player itself 

Capable of running blue rays and regular dvds

Has an hdmi port so I can connect it to any other display as if I was at a mates house for example. 

Good battery life 

In case I'm being too picky my top priority features I want is a built in display and blue ray capability.

Thank you very much I'll keep looking to see if I can find what I'm looking for but if you know of anything like it or similar please list it.

Actually somehow fulfilled all the desires? No idea about the quality of screen res though. 

onn. Portable Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Player Kit https://www.walmart.com/ip/658655020

Just looking for "portable blu ray player" brings up a plethora of devices that all basically do what you want.

But unless that isn't feasible for your use case, I'd really much rather go with a usb-c blu ray drive. That way you can watch the videos on any laptop, that is almost sure to have a better screen and better battery life. And for modern laptops you can also get a USB-C power bank to increase the battery life even further. Most portable blu ray players will need AC power.

2 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Perfect thank you I wasnt expecting any of this I didn't know if it was a big market or not. Thank you very much.

Get a new or refurbished laptop with an optical drive or add an usb optical drive ... you'll be able to easily recharge the battery from a car travel adapter or inverter etc etc

For example, new models :

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-006G-00057?Item=9SIBFJJJ4R1878

CHUWI HeroBook Pro 14.1'' Laptop Computer, 8GB RAM 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Laptop, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, 1920x1080 FHD Display, Ultra Slim Notebook PC, WiFi, BT4.2 (Support Windows 11)

Add an optical drive through USB or rip the DVDs at home and copy them on ssd etc etc processor is slow, but fast enough to play DVDs

Another example :

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-19TG5?Item=9SIAJZDK4N6262

Lenovo IdeaPad 1 Laptop, 14" HD Display, Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 64GB eMMC, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, Media Card Reader, Long Battery Life, Win 11 S ... not even refurbished...

You could easily rip a bunch of DVDs and store them on the 128 GB SSD, or you could use a usb optical drive. It's light, low power, can easily run from

A cheaper example, $160 for  https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-1ABD3?Item=9SIAKDXK702347

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Get a new or refurbished laptop with an optical drive or add an usb optical drive ... you'll be able to easily recharge the battery from a car travel adapter or inverter etc etc

For example, new models :

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-006G-00057?Item=9SIBFJJJ4R1878

CHUWI HeroBook Pro 14.1'' Laptop Computer, 8GB RAM 256GB SSD, Windows 10 Laptop, Intel Celeron N4020 Processor, 1920x1080 FHD Display, Ultra Slim Notebook PC, WiFi, BT4.2 (Support Windows 11)

Add an optical drive through USB or rip the DVDs at home and copy them on ssd etc etc processor is slow, but fast enough to play DVDs

Another example :

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-19TG5?Item=9SIAJZDK4N6262

Lenovo IdeaPad 1 Laptop, 14" HD Display, Intel Celeron N4020, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD + 64GB eMMC, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth, Media Card Reader, Long Battery Life, Win 11 S ... not even refurbished...

You could easily rip a bunch of DVDs and store them on the 128 GB SSD, or you could use a usb optical drive. It's light, low power, can easily run from

A cheaper example, $160 for  https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000E-1ABD3?Item=9SIAKDXK702347

Hey so a n4020 can actually be too weak to decode blurays.

These things are running near 100% just trying to run windows

Fine, then  Amazon.com: Lenovo - 300W Gen 3-2-in-1 Educational Computer - Laptop for Students - AMD 3015e Dual-Core Processor - 11.6" HD Touchscreen Display - 4GB Memory - 64GB Storage - Windows 10 Pro : Electronics could be an option - 2 core ,4 threads, up to 2.3 ghz ... 2700+ cpu benchmark points vs ~1600 for the n4020.  but you lose screen quality and size, and disk space.

I'd just convert the blurays to 720p h264 and put them on the ssd... and not bother with optical drives.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Fine, then  Amazon.com: Lenovo - 300W Gen 3-2-in-1 Educational Computer - Laptop for Students - AMD 3015e Dual-Core Processor - 11.6" HD Touchscreen Display - 4GB Memory - 64GB Storage - Windows 10 Pro : Electronics could be an option - 2 core ,4 threads, up to 2.3 ghz ... 2700+ cpu benchmark points vs ~1600 for the n4020.  but you lose screen quality and size, and disk space.

I'd just convert the blurays to 720p h264 and put them on the ssd... and not bother with optical drives.

Also 10 doesnt run well at all on 4gb ram and emmc storage as a combo. You can kidna get away with 4gb ram and a semi ok ssd but not emmc.

For 200$ a used laptop is the only option to get something decent.

Else I agree fully with just rip em and put them on flash storage. A 2tb external hdd or something can be had for 70$ and can house a bunch of blurays at native or keep 98% of image quality and encode them differently so you can fit many more