Looing for a 12 Bit Raw 4k30p capture card

Does anyone have any recommendations for a capture for my Sony A7Siii that supports 12bit raw via HDI?

I know Elgato has some USB options that do 4k 8bit, but I'd really like to get the most out of my camera. Thank you!

Computers r fun

I'm pretty sure the raw HDMI out isn't standard, so your gonna need a Ninja V or other supported recorder to get prores raw out from the camera. 

Otherwise I think its 4k 10bit max, and thats should be supported by a good amount of capture cards now.

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

this seems to fit the bill: https://www.magewell.com/products/usb-capture-sdi-4k-plus

but realisticly, what are you doing with this thing that you want such high quality?

Greatly appreciate you linking this company, never knew they existed. Looks like they have an HDMI version of what you linked that would be more desirable for my camera https://www.magewell.com/tech-specs/usb-capture-hdmi-4k-plus

5 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'm pretty sure the raw HDMI out isn't standard, so your gonna need a Ninja V or other supported recorder to get prores raw out from the camera. 

Otherwise I think its 4k 10bit max, and thats should be supported by a good amount of capture cards now.

Ah okay, thank you for the info. It seemed so after failing to find any other device to capture raw. Ninja even seems cost effective compared to capture cards. Supposedly the above linked Magewell card supports NV12. 60fps 4k 4:4:4

I'm of the belief that doing the research, and spending more to get the most ideal product for the job is typically worth it. I record alot of footage in my home studio on SDCards. The a7sii requires a UHS-II V90 cards for it's all-Intra h264 codec at 4k (10-bit). One 256gb card costs roughly $200. 

I have a few spare SSDs I can slide into a ninja (or usb to my computer) and record directly. I don't particularly need the portability of the Ninja, and i'd like to get into live streaming from my a7s iii so I figured a capture card, if existant would make more sense for me.

I believe there is also a system within atomos to stream full quality to my computer as well... just seems unnecessary compared to a simple capture card.

Computers r fun

Elgato is a steaming pile of trash. Magewell is great, extremely flexible software and the customer service is what I'd describe as "acceptable". Best capture cards I've used personally are from datapath, though they're a bit more pricey.

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Greatly appreciate you linking this company, never knew they existed. Looks like they have an HDMI version of what you linked that would be more desirable for my camera https://www.magewell.com/tech-specs/usb-capture-hdmi-4k-plus

Ah okay, thank you for the info. It seemed so after failing to find any other device to capture raw. Ninja even seems cost effective compared to capture cards. Supposedly the above linked Magewell card supports NV12. 60fps 4k 4:4:4

I'm of the belief that doing the research, and spending more to get the most ideal product for the job is typically worth it. I record alot of footage in my home studio on SDCards. The a7sii requires a UHS-II V90 cards for it's all-Intra h264 codec at 4k (10-bit). One 256gb card costs roughly $200. 

I have a few spare SSDs I can slide into a ninja (or usb to my computer) and record directly. I don't particularly need the portability of the Ninja, and i'd like to get into live streaming from my a7s iii so I figured a capture card, if existant would make more sense for me.

I believe there is also a system within atomos to stream full quality to my computer as well... just seems unnecessary compared to a simple capture card.

Blackmagic also has some, but they are quite expensive...

1 hour ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I'd generally try to keep my PC out of the main recording system to keep issues down. 

If sd card cost if the main issue, I'd shoot IPB and use v30 cards. You get basically the same quality as a much lower bitrate, and then make proxies to make editing easier. But with the prices of a A7S3, those SD cards are a pretty small part of the total price of the setup. 

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'd generally try to keep my PC out of the main recording system to keep issues down. 

If sd card cost if the main issue, I'd shoot IPB and use v30 cards. You get basically the same quality as a much lower bitrate, and then make proxies to make editing easier. But with the prices of a A7S3, those SD cards are a pretty small part of the total price of the setup. 

Can also shoot to type c ssds. They are generally cheaper than SD cards. Not to mention easier and faster to ingest.

4 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Can also shoot to type c ssds. They are generally cheaper than SD cards. Not to mention easier and faster to ingest.

I'm pretty sure you can't do that on the a7s3. You could get a cfx type a to m.2 adapter though and put the adapter on the top of the camera. But thats kinda janky.

16 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

I'm pretty sure you can't do that on the a7s3. You could get a cfx type a to m.2 adapter though and put the adapter on the top of the camera. But thats kinda janky.

Damn, thought that was more common now a days. Pretty weak on sony for doing that on a video focused cameras.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

The next issue with the A7S iii is when using long-GOP compression, the camera overheats much quicker (also worse battery life) all for decreased video quality. I do this sometimes with my v90 card netting me more than double my record time. That doesn't help with my desire to live stream from my computer though.

9 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Had no idea this was a thing, very excited to add that to my list of things to try. What an awesome idea. Janky maybe, but I already have m.2 SSDs and this would be for home/studio use anyway. Still doesn't help with my livestreaming problem though.

9 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Tried connecting my M.2 USB-C enclosure, nothing happened 😞

10 hours ago, Brian McKee said:

Elgato is a steaming pile of trash. Magewell is great, extremely flexible software and the customer service is what I'd describe as "acceptable". Best capture cards I've used personally are from datapath, though they're a bit more pricey.

Never heard of datapath either, checking them out now. Thank you so much! So strange that none of these things come up in google searches.

10 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Blackmagic also has some, but they are quite expensive...

Yeah the decklink usb thunderbolt series looks pretty useful, but for $1,000 I can get a Atomos setup which seems like it makes more sense if I can find a way to get the stream to my PC...think I can even do wireless. I wouldn't even need realtime raw to my PC if I can record raw to the Ninja.

Computers r fun

5 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Never heard of datapath either, checking them out now. Thank you so much! So strange that none of these things come up in google searches.

Professional capture cards are a bit different from consumer ones. They tend to have a lot of features and settings the average gamer just doesn't care about.  But even from that standpoint I'd just buy older pro capture cards since they work far better than garbage like elgato's 4k capture pros.

22 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Professional capture cards are a bit different from consumer ones. They tend to have a lot of features and settings the average gamer just doesn't care about.  But even from that standpoint I'd just buy older pro capture cards since they work far better than garbage like elgato's 4k capture pros.

Do you have any suggestions?

This looks like a good alternative to the Elgato Decklink Studio 4k: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1711536-REG/magewell_350600000_usb_fusion_multi_input_usb.html/specs?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&smpm=ba_f2_lar&lsft=BI%3A6879&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwztOwBhD7ARIsAPDKnkD4nYYnC-TXbr6WOr-DbUXz9v_AHB1hu4Z9erz5pMajO3Zx74dy8FgaAk1cEALw_wcB

Computers r fun

Just now, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I unfortunately don't have any recommendations for newer cards or USB ones. All of my equipment are older pcie cards like the E1s or Magewell x4. Only 4k card I own is the elgato 4k pro II and I'm gonna be selling it asap.

2 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

I unfortunately don't have any recommendations for newer cards or USB ones. All of my equipment are older pcie cards like the E1s or Magewell x4. Only 4k card I own is the elgato 4k pro II and I'm gonna be selling it asap.

What issues have you had with the elgato 4k pro?

I also have a PCIe 3.0 4x USB-C Enclosure, but obviously i'd prefer direct USB.

Computers r fun

55 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What issues have you had with the elgato 4k pro?

I also have a PCIe 3.0 4x USB-C Enclosure, but obviously i'd prefer direct USB.

Issues with drivers, audio stuttering, etc... Any time I'd try to adjust brightness on the incoming video I'd get weird audio problems for some strange reason. Very limited options when it comes to aspect ratios and resolutions. Just not a fan, it's ok if you just want a plug and play option for recording some footage from your xbox I guess.