My C Drive seems to always fill up and I am not sure what to do next.

Go to solution Solved by SpookyCitrus,

Use WizTree or Windirstat to view all files, remove temporary or unnecessary files it finds that take up a decent amount of space. 

If it were my computer I'd just buy a new drive, 1TB sata SSDs, and Gen 3 Nvmes are pretty inexpensive these days. Like @PDifolco said, it's pretty pointless to keep constantly cleaning a 250GB.

I booted up my PC today to be met with a notification saying Opera could not be updated as I ran out of space on my C drive. I have a 250GB Samsung 870 (i believe its an 870, that's the SATA m.2 series, right?)

I've scrolled through my C drive and removed like 2 or 3 minecraft modpacks from the drive totaling like 25GB total. Deleted them, emptied the recycle bin, still showing full. 

I found a folder deep within the local app data in packages called Clipchamp.Clipchamp_yxz26nhyzhsrt, which contains 15GB of stuff. but idk what it is or what its used for as I don't recall ever using it

There is another folder called SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0. which is 8GB, but that makes some sense cause I use spotify, I just don't know what it needs 8GB of storage for. I don't think I have any songs downloaded from spotify. and even if I did, would they be saved there? or somewhere less... buried?

It just seems like my C Drive is ALWAYS full or close to full. I have a new hard drive that I would like to put there that is 1TB, but I feel like doing that is just excessive and unnecessary in a way. 

Any advice on the best way to scrub my C Drive? Or even why deleting those modpacks did nothing (although I havent restarted my PC, so that might help).

Any help is greatly appreciated

6 minutes ago, GhostieBoy said:

I booted up my PC today to be met with a notification saying Opera could not be updated as I ran out of space on my C drive. I have a 250GB Samsung 870 (i believe its an 870, that's the SATA m.2 series, right?)

I've scrolled through my C drive and removed like 2 or 3 minecraft modpacks from the drive totaling like 25GB total. Deleted them, emptied the recycle bin, still showing full. 

I found a folder deep within the local app data in packages called Clipchamp.Clipchamp_yxz26nhyzhsrt, which contains 15GB of stuff. but idk what it is or what its used for as I don't recall ever using it

There is another folder called SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0. which is 8GB, but that makes some sense cause I use spotify, I just don't know what it needs 8GB of storage for. I don't think I have any songs downloaded from spotify. and even if I did, would they be saved there? or somewhere less... buried?

It just seems like my C Drive is ALWAYS full or close to full. I have a new hard drive that I would like to put there that is 1TB, but I feel like doing that is just excessive and unnecessary in a way. 

Any advice on the best way to scrub my C Drive? Or even why deleting those modpacks did nothing (although I havent restarted my PC, so that might help).

Do restart your PC. Clipchamp is a video editing software so maybe that folder is some videos or maybe something to do with the app. Search up storage on your window search thingy and you will find a panel called storage settings and use that, it shows you what is using your data and its easier to delete apps and windows like that + it gives recommendations on what to delete.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

2 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Do restart your PC. Clipchamp is a video editing software so maybe that folder is some videos or maybe something to do with the app. Search up storage on your window search thingy and you will find a panel called storage settings and use that, it shows you what is using your data and its easier to delete apps and windows like that + it gives recommendations on what to delete.

I figured a restart was necessary. It just seems like sometimes it refreshes immediately, and other times it doesn't. I guess I should have done that prior to making this post haha.

I actually realized what ClipChamp was shortly after this post, but I just don't know why it would take up 15GB unless some video clips are stored there for some reason. idk. might try uninstalling it and seeing what happens.

I had no idea about the storage settings thingy, so that's good info. I will investigate that next.

Thank you very much!

I'd use WizTree to see all the files on the drive. Also probably just get a new drive and do a clean install of windows, though I understand if that's not in your budget

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Get a program that does disk analysis.  I use WizTree for this and it's very fast.  You can also install it on a USB thumb drive and run it from there.  You can then wee what is taking up space on your C drive with ease.  Also, how much RAM do you have?  Windows by default will allocate 3x the amount of RAM to your pagefile.sys folder.  You can shrink this down if it's taking up too much space.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

49 minutes ago, GhostieBoy said:

Get a bigger drive anyway, you will waste your life trying to clean a 250GB drive ...

A Gen3 1TB NVMe is $60, less than a console game

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Use WizTree or Windirstat to view all files, remove temporary or unnecessary files it finds that take up a decent amount of space. 

If it were my computer I'd just buy a new drive, 1TB sata SSDs, and Gen 3 Nvmes are pretty inexpensive these days. Like @PDifolco said, it's pretty pointless to keep constantly cleaning a 250GB.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

3 hours ago, Alan G said:

Get a program that does disk analysis.  I use WizTree for this and it's very fast.  You can also install it on a USB thumb drive and run it from there.  You can then wee what is taking up space on your C drive with ease.  Also, how much RAM do you have?  Windows by default will allocate 3x the amount of RAM to your pagefile.sys folder.  You can shrink this down if it's taking up too much space.

I have 64GB of RAM, so would that mean it is allocating 192GB of RAM to the pagefile.sys folder? cause if so, thats kinda fucked lmaooo

I'll give wiztree a shot and see if that works as well

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Get a bigger drive anyway, you will waste your life trying to clean a 250GB drive ...

A Gen3 1TB NVMe is $60, less than a console game

Must have missed the part in my post where I said I have a 980 pro 1TB, but I didnt want to jump straight into a boot drive replacement

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

I'll prolly do a combo of both. I wanna know why it keeps filling up. it seems crazy that I keep having this problem. because if its happening on a 250, it will happen on a 1TB further down the line if its something specific, atleast imo. I know that seems silly cause it would be much further down the line, but I'd rather try and diagnose it a bit before jumping to a drive replacement.

I have 2 980 pro 1TB's that I can use (I just havent cause ngl the process of swapping out my boot drive has been a little terrifying for various reasons). I also was finishing school and I used my desktop for school, so I didnt want to break something and render my PC unusable cause of a corrupted windows or something. But now that I am graduated and work gives me a laptop, I should be fine to do it soon.

9 minutes ago, GhostieBoy said:

I have 64GB of RAM, so would that mean it is allocating 192GB of RAM to the pagefile.sys folder? cause if so, thats kinda fucked lmaooo

I'll give wiztree a shot and see if that works as well

If your Pagefile.sys file is 192GB that's not using RAM it's using system storage. If you delete it and make a new one it should clear up at least that much on your drive. The pagefile.sys shouldn't be that large. That would be why it keeps filling up. If your pagefile is bugged anytime you clear off space and restart the computer it's just going to make that file larger. I've seen it happen several times before.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

In Windows you can run "Disk Cleanup", once it opens click "clean up system files", this will let you select and reclaim all the extra space used by windows updates.  If the system has been patching for years you can recover a fair amount.

34 minutes ago, GhostieBoy said:

Must have missed the part in my post where I said I have a 980 pro 1TB, but I didnt want to jump straight into a boot drive replacement

You should, Win10/11 can't be held on a 250GB drive after some time

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

5 hours ago, GhostieBoy said:

I figured a restart was necessary. It just seems like sometimes it refreshes immediately, and other times it doesn't. I guess I should have done that prior to making this post haha.

I actually realized what ClipChamp was shortly after this post, but I just don't know why it would take up 15GB unless some video clips are stored there for some reason. idk. might try uninstalling it and seeing what happens.

I had no idea about the storage settings thingy, so that's good info. I will investigate that next.

Thank you very much!

no worries, great that you managed to get to the bottom of it!

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

14 hours ago, GhostieBoy said:

Samsung have a free data transfer utility that you can use to clone your old OS drive over.  It's super easy to use and does not destroy what is on the old drive.  When I updated my workstation to a 1 TB NVME drive, that's what I did.  I use the old 500 GB SSD as an OS back up in case anything ever goes wrong with Windows updates.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

On 4/4/2024 at 6:51 AM, PDifolco said:

You should, Win10/11 can't be held on a 250GB drive after some time

Define "after some time" because windows 10 is perfectly fine on 250gb. I've had my current install for 4 years and am only using 150gb, my wife is at 7 years and using even less.

8 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Define "after some time" because windows 10 is perfectly fine on 250gb. I've had my current install for 4 years and am only using 150gb, my wife is at 7 years and using even less.

For me it was around 3 years, my boot drive is only Windows and software (and not that much of them) and is around 270GB (on a 400GB partition)

Sure a ton of it is all the crap Windows sends in the Users folder, but even if I do manage them it keeps growing...

image.thumb.png.9f605f42299aa6fdde96836ec95c74b6.png