using SHR . how to upgrade storage from 4tb to higher , DS224+ 2 bay

Hello , 
how to upgrade ? 

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, PSP. said:

Hello , 
how to upgrade ? 

What kind of SHR setup are you running?

If your drives are mirrored, you should be able to swap one drive, let the array rebuild, then swap the other drive.

If your drives are striped, you'll have to lifeboat all your important data onto another storage device then swap both drives together. (A striped array won't work unless all of its constituent drives are present.)

Regardless, make sure all your important data is backed up before you go messing with your storage array.

Edited by Needfuldoer
I accidentally some words

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

33 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Regardless, make sure all your important data is backed up before you go messing with your storage array.

100% this. SHR drives are hard to get a reliable rebuild in my experience with a failure rate of like 50% of the time it bombs on me. 

52 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

This is sound advice. But it’s also why raid arrays are garbage. 

8 minutes ago, johnt said:

The important thing to remember is that RAID is uptime insurance, not a backup solution. It's there so if you lose a drive, you should be able to recover without having to restore from your backups.

Even a robust array that can survive multiple drive failures, hosting a filesystem that supports snapshots isn't a replacement for a good backup strategy with offline media.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

34 minutes ago, johnt said:

I wouldn't say they are garbage. They fill a need but raid is not a backup. 

2 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

The important thing to remember is that RAID is uptime insurance, not a backup solution. It's there so if you lose a drive, you should be able to recover without having to restore from your backups.

Even a robust array that can survive multiple drive failures, hosting a filesystem that supports snapshots isn't a replacement for a good backup strategy with offline media.

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

I wouldn't say they are garbage. They fill a need but raid is not a backup. 

I don't see the big deal about restoring from a back up in a personal-use, home environment. Recovering a RAID array does not seem like a much better option. I feel like RAID1 and 5 are totally marketed as a back up solution for home use.

12 minutes ago, johnt said:

I don't see the big deal about restoring from a back up in a personal-use, home environment. Recovering a RAID array does not seem like a much better option. I feel like RAID1 and 5 are totally marketed as a back up solution for home use.

It can be part of a backup solution for home use. 

In most homes, most people just keep their data on their computer. With a nas, you store a copy of it there instead of just on the desktop. 

It does provide resilience to a single drive failure as well. Or two if you use raid 2. Recovering a failed drive is no big deal really in most cases. 

And if you use software raid, you can move the drives to a whole other platform and restore the pool pretty easily. 

I have had to replace a drive once now due to a failure and everything just kept chugging along. 

But any pertinent information that is important I keep in the nas, an external drive, as well as syncing it to a machine in my office. 

It's all about the 3 2 1 baby. 

3 hours ago, johnt said:

RAID is definitely not garbage... Its uptime availability AND it can save you headaches. I have had an annoying amount od drives fail in my truenas array, and have been extremely thankful I have ZFS Z2 (basically software RAID 6) running. The headache from downtime for my system would be huge as my homelab is a large part of the networking infrastructure of my house, as well as home automation and lots more. More uptime by definition = less headaches and stress. Its not a backup... but uptime is uptime, and that is not "garbage". 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

16 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

What kind of SHR setup are you running?

If your drives are mirrored, you should be able to swap one drive, let the array rebuild, then swap the other drive.

If your drives are striped, you'll have to lifeboat all your important data onto another storage device then swap both drives together. (A striped array won't work unless all of its constituent drives are present.)

I'm not sure what you meant " what kind of SHR "
details , I have before 2 seagate ironwolf , 1 dead , replaced to Toshiba N300 , I have space but deleted some videos \ Anime  for plex
not sure what kind of SHR I have . 

simply ? do i have to remove slot 2 hdd install higher 
then maybe wait 1 hour ,
then replace slot 1 hdd ?
this way work ?
because I didn't lose my data when 1 hdd dead , second hdd  stand , 
old topic > 

2024-04-03 18_48_22-PSP - Brave.png

2024-04-03 18_48_05-PSP - Brave.png

I do not know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone