Watching movies 4k on 1080p monitor - pointless?

Guanzo

Using 4k option on Youtube/Movies etc. in 1080p monitor will make difference or pointless thing? 

Actually you'll have a higher bitrate coming in so there can be a difference. It wont be massive but it is there.

But just to save data id just do 1080p as the difference isnt amazing

youtube compression is crazy, so 4k might actually look better, because it is compressed on 4k, but when you are watching in 1080p you wouldn't see a lot of the compressed details anyway

4 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

Youtube looks like straight ass these days

Looks fine for me. Same as it ever was

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

there is more bitrate available to resolutions above 1080p and they also tend to be encoded in VP9 instead of h.264 so you get higher quality even at the same bitrate... so it snowballs into much better quality than 1080p, it's definitely not pointless 

The 4k versions will typically have a higher bitrate and should provide better visual quality even when displayed on a lower resolution monitor.

Here's an example of the most recent LTT video at 1080p and 4k displayed on the same screen with the same viewing window (2236x1118).

There's some noticeable difference around the face and hair. The eyebrows, cheeks, nose, and hair look a little smudgey and less detailed on 1080p compared to 4k.

Spoiler

Click images to expand to full size.

image.png

image.png

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

depends how compressed the 1080p version is

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

7 hours ago, OddOod said:

Looks fine for me. Same as it ever was

Depends on the content you're viewing. If there's a lot of foliage for example, compression really shows itself - the algorithm can't properly compress the video, so it looks really blocky and blurry. You get the same effect on Twitch as well, at least from what I've seen.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With online streaming content like YouTube, Netflix, etc. 4K will use a higher bitrate and as a result the image will look better, even on a 1080p monitor.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.