What can the company that sent the activation code to windows 11 do?

Feconi

Good afternoon! I built a computer and performed a clean install of Windows from the official website. My company sent me the Windows 11 activation code. The question is, is there a difference in the activation codes?

If the company provided me with the code, could it somehow affect my computer, connect to my computer without my knowledge and view files? Should I purchase my own activation code to protect my computer?

The worst they could see if it was a volume license key with a KMS or similar is some basic information about the computer but in no case can they access your computer unless you install software which allows that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

activation code does nothing, other than activate the machine.

i presume since you mention "my company sent me the code" that it's a machine intended for business use?

Just an activation key by itself won't let the company access your computer.

However, if this is a work computer, they may have installed some remote access or management software. (Especially if it's enrolled in a Windows domain.)

Microsoft also allows large companies to run their own activation servers (called Key Management Services), which computers have to check back against periodically. You would have to connect to the company's network (physically or over VPN) so your PC can check that it's still activated on the KMS.

NEVER buy KMS keys from sketchy resellers!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

51 minutes ago, manikyath said:

activation code does nothing, other than activate the machine.

i presume since you mention "my company sent me the code" that it's a machine intended for business use?

This is a computer for my home, which I will use both for work and for personal use (3d modeling\games)

50 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Just an activation key by itself won't let the company access your computer.

However, if this is a work computer, they may have installed some remote access or management software. (Especially if it's enrolled in a Windows domain.)

Microsoft also allows large companies to run their own activation servers (called Key Management Services), which computers have to check back against periodically. You would have to connect to the company's network (physically or over VPN) so your PC can check that it's still activated on the KMS.

NEVER buy KMS keys from sketchy resellers!

Since I built the computer myself, there are no programs on it now, except for programs from Windows 11. 

Other users who answered this question (manikyath, tkitch, Lurick) said that the key does nothing but check with Microsoft servers, why then did you say "NEVER buy KMS keys from sketchy resellers!"  if the key does not affect the computer itself?

Because they may be OEM keys that have been used before or currently elsewhere, and at some time may have their functionality removed. This is in reference to the $10 or other hugely reduced price those resellers advertise.

8 minutes ago, RokinAmerica said:

Because they may be OEM keys that have been used before or currently elsewhere, and at some time may have their functionality removed. This is in reference to the $10 or other hugely reduced price those resellers advertise.

Does this mean that the biggest danger is that the key will simply stop working?

10 minutes ago, Feconi said:

Does this mean that the biggest danger is that the key will simply stop working?

Yes.

If you didn't have to do any special setup besides punching the key into an otherwise stock Windows install, it's probably fine.

However, you never know what kind of key those resellers will send you. It may very well stop working in the future. The only way to guarantee you'll get a genuine, good-for-life key is to buy a legit copy of Windows from an authorized retailer.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

21 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yes.

If you didn't have to do any special setup besides punching the key into an otherwise stock Windows install, it's probably fine.

However, you never know what kind of key those resellers will send you. It may very well stop working in the future. The only way to guarantee you'll get a genuine, good-for-life key is to buy a legit copy of Windows from an authorized retailer.

If I previously had to activate the Office key by telephone, as described in this official link, is this a "special setup", is there any reason to worry? (the Office 2021 image was downloaded from the official website and activated with the purchased key) 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/activate-office-using-the-activation-wizard-1144e0de-e849-496e-8e33-ed6fb1b34202image.png.43668fbcea1e5324a6f6ef53254f959f.png

activating is activating, no you don't need to worry.