Why isn't my cpu fully boosting during cinebench test?

Go to solution Solved by da na,

It is normal for CPUs to only boost to a lower clock when all cores are used, so although the chip can hit 5400mhz on a single core it can't maintain that clock on every thread. 

I'm currently benchmarking my pc, but when i check task manager, it only says that my 7700x, which should be able to boost to 5.4 ghz, is only at 5.04 ghz despite being at full usage. Why is this?

It is probably overheating, is there a way for you to check the thermals? If not get HWinfo

5 minutes ago, VaderCraft_ said:

It is probably overheating, is there a way for you to check the thermals? If not get HWinfo

I have a way overkill cooler tho, and i cant check the thermals cuz i dont have any software downloaded. Also, i just did a single core test and the clock speeds are even worse at less than 5 ghz!

3 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I have a way overkill cooler tho, and i cant check the thermals cuz i dont have any software downloaded

Download some software then. A few programs are available for use, such as MSI Afterburner, HWInfo, etc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

20 minutes ago, VaderCraft_ said:

14 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Download some software then. A few programs are available for use, such as MSI Afterburner, HWInfo, etc.

I just checked msi afterburner and for some reason it now shows that it is running at 5.5 ghz, more than the max 5.4 during single core, but in the multicore it shows only 5.1 ghz. My temps during multicore testing are also ~90 degrees Celcius. Is there something up with task manager? during the single core tests it still only shows below 5.2 ghz.

33 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I'm currently benchmarking my pc, but when i check task manager, it only says that my 7700x, which should be able to boost to 5.4 ghz, is only at 5.04 ghz despite being at full usage. Why is this?

5.4GHz is the maximum single thread boost speed, the multithread boost speed is going to be a bit lower (likely the 5.05GHz you're currently reading). 

Also, because of systems like PBO with its clock stretching characteristics, clock speed readings are somewhat meaningless on anything newer than Ryzen 2000 as you can have high clocks but performance doesn't change (on my 5900X, with PBO on two different boards it would boost to 4.4GHz and 4.6GHz yet give the same score within margin of error). What is the scores you're seeing, since those are all that actually matter. 

to add on, MSI Afterburner is right in showing 5.1 in all core and the 5.4 or so in multicore. Task Manager likely shows a lower clock in single-core because it is showing an average of all of the cores rather than the one that's turboing to 5400mhz, is my guess.

1 minute ago, da na said:

It is normal for CPUs to only boost to a lower clock when all cores are used, so although the chip can hit 5400mhz on a single core it can't maintain that clock on every thread. 

I've heard that a cpu will boost its ghz as high as possble before it burns up but in single core it only goes 0.1 ghz above the max boost shown on the box despite me having a super overkill cooler.

Just now, Fat Cat11997 said:

I've heard that a cpu will boost its ghz as high as possble before it burns up

Yeah whoever told you that is incorrect. CPUs don't magically clock up over their intended speed, nor do they know their own safe limits. Both are for the user to determine and set.

7 minutes ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I've heard that a cpu will boost its ghz as high as possble before it burns up but in single core it only goes 0.1 ghz above the max boost shown on the box despite me having a super overkill cooler.

CPUs and GPUs will boost within a certain range. For your CPU, that is around 5.4GHz for a single core workload. It looks like the slightly additional headroom is being utilized if the CPU is boosting up to 5.5GHz under a single core workload.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

22 hours ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

I have a way overkill cooler tho, and i cant check the thermals cuz i dont have any software downloaded. Also, i just did a single core test and the clock speeds are even worse at less than 5 ghz!

now im curious, what cooler do you have?

29 minutes ago, VaderCraft_ said:

now im curious, what cooler do you have?

Amazon.com: Thermalright Frost Tower 120 CPU Air Cooler, 6 Heatpipes, CPU Cooler, Dual 120mm TL-C12B V2 PWM Fan, AGHP Generation 4 Technology, S-FDB Bearing, Support AMD AM4 AM5/Intel 1700/1150/1151/1200/2011.

It should easily be able to cool my cpu cuz the 7700x produces 105W of heat while this cooler dissapates 200W of heat. For some reason tho, the cooler still decides to let the cpu go up to 90 degrees C

2 hours ago, Fat Cat11997 said:

For some reason tho, the cooler still decides to let the cpu go up to 90 degrees C

The cooler doesn't tell the CPU anything. The bios/amd software does.

to add to that, notice how it in the description always says "up to"?

you aren't guaranteed any boost clock, you're only guaranteed base clock (under load)

also yeah, if all cores are used like in an obscure benchmark like cinebench, which doesn't even represent a real life load, it'll of course not boost all cores to highest clock, probably not even with LN2. (unless the frequencies are locked i guess)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

in an obscure benchmark like cinebench, which doesn't even represent a real life load

Obscure? Not real life? There are people who do more than just game out there...