Want to move plex library from truenas to a windows ran plex instead

Looking for any information. As to how I can do this a video or post I can follow would be appreciated I am have an issues where when im adding new stuff it won't read like when I hit get infor I only get like 3 peices of info instead of like 20+  so we going back to windows as we had no problems there but don't know how to make sure the drives will be read by windows if we update the main boot drive how to get the nas drive to be recognized by windows pc

This is gonna be pricey and time consuming!

It's a total gamble to connect a ZFS format to Windows directly and then use software to recover the data. Just get another hard drive and install it in your Windows PC, connect the NAS to your PC just like normal, and then copy all your movies from the NAS to the drive in Windows over your network.

Once you move your entire library over, you can repurpose the drives in your NAS after installing Windows on a boot drive.

The problem is, Windows doesn't do as good of a job with software RAID. Windows 11 has Storage Spaces, but the recovery options have such little information out there. I tried doing a RAID1 in Storage Spaces, simulated a failure by moving the drives to another PC and I could not get the damn thing to work at all. It only worked in the original system where it was created. WTF am I going to do with that?

I went a much simpler method of using volume mirroring in Disk Management (FYI this requires Windows Pro). This effectively gives you RAID1 only, but the benefit is that you can move a drive to another PC and it works instantly after deleting the mirror from the "missing" drive. 

38 minutes ago, TechFatality said:

Looking for any information. As to how I can do this a video or post I can follow would be appreciated I am have an issues where when im adding new stuff it won't read like when I hit get infor I only get like 3 peices of info instead of like 20+  so we going back to windows as we had no problems there but don't know how to make sure the drives will be read by windows if we update the main boot drive how to get the nas drive to be recognized by windows pc

Like the previous comment, windows will be unable to read those drives. 

But what you can do is install windows pro, setup hyper v and install truenas into a vm and import your existing pool. 

This way you can still use truenas for storage but run anything else you want under windows. 

You might lose a little performance doing it this way but not something you would notice outside of benchmarks. 

Just make sure if the storage is encrypted you backup the key to it. 

3 hours ago, TechFatality said:

I’d set up a VM within truenas to do what you want. Either Plex in a docker container, or make a full on windows (or Ubuntu…) VM, and do in there. TrueNAS isn’t the issue. 

I run Proxmox as my hypervisor with TrueNAS virtualized along with many other things, one of which is an Ubuntu server VM with Plex running in it. I SMB mount my Plex data to the Ubuntu VM, point Plex at it, and away it goes. Been working like this since ~2016. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air