samsung 990pro 2tb not being detected

Gill509

I bought a 990pro and after installing it nothing seems to pick it up. I tried a bunch of other suggestions from forums and video's but I'm kinda on a dead end. I tried both m.2 slots, fresh windows install, a bunch of settings in the bios but it doesn't appear anywhere. I am wondering if there are any things I can try before returning it.

My specs are:

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asrock B450 steel legend

6650xt

wd sn570 500gb 

my bios version is p4.60 and i am running windows 10 pro 64x

You can always try it with another pc, ask a friend if you can try it in his/hers pc.

9 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

You can always try it with another pc, ask a friend if you can try it in his/hers pc.

You got me thinking and I realised I had ps5 in which I could throw it in so I did. I learned 2 things. The drive is functional and when removing it from my pc it was warm to the touch so my pc is putting power trough the ssd. 

Have you tried to go into disk partition, it could be that the drive is not allocated and then you just need to allocate the storage for the drive

Try opening Disk Management in Windows, does the drive show up there?

45 minutes ago, Gill509 said:

I tried a bunch of other suggestions from forums

Which suggestions in particular? Otherwise people will most likely suggest things you've already tried.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Is your Bios up to date ?

Did you consider this :

*M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.

And this :

1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

this happened to me last year when I added an M2 drive to my work station.  I used Aoemi Partition Assistant to set up the drive and it was then good to go for the Windows transfer from my SSD.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

12 minutes ago, Going_AFK said:

Have you tried to go into disk partition, it could be that the drive is not allocated and then you just need to allocate the storage for the drive

The drive is not showing up in the partition screen.

9 minutes ago, leclod said:

Is your Bios up to date ?

Did you consider this :

*M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

**If M2_1 is occupied, PCIE4 will be disabled.

And this :

1 x M.2 Socket (M2_2), supports M Key type 2230/2242/2260/2280/22110 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s)

I tried different setups with 1/2 ssd’s and in all possible ways with different bios settings but it didn’t work.

5 minutes ago, Alan G said:

this happened to me last year when I added an M2 drive to my work station.  I used Aoemi Partition Assistant to set up the drive and it was then good to go for the Windows transfer from my SSD.

Could you elaborate. I downloaded AOMEI partition Assistant but it’s not showing the drive. Are there any options I should try?

18 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Try opening Disk Management in Windows, does the drive show up there?

Which suggestions in particular? Otherwise people will most likely suggest things you've already tried.

It’s the main stuff you find on forums like trying to format the drive with disk partition. Making sure fast boot is off and disable ing CSM. Bios updates Windows updates. A lot of the more obvious stuff. That’s why I came here.

my current leading theorie is that the drive just might not be compatible as my motherboard supports upto Pcie 3 but the drive is pcie4. I’ve read on a lot of places that it should work just at reduced speeds but could someone confirm or deny before I order a new drive.

1 minute ago, Gill509 said:

my current leading theorie is that the drive just might not be compatible as my motherboard supports upto Pcie 3 but the drive is pcie4. I’ve read on a lot of places that it should work just at reduced speeds but could someone confirm or deny before I order a new drive.

Yes, that's exactly how it should work. PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, so a PCIe 4.0 drive should work in a 3.0 slot (and vice versa). The drive will simply run in backwards compatible mode and run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

9 minutes ago, Gill509 said:

I tried different setups with 1/2 ssd’s and in all possible ways with different bios settings but it didn’t work.

No idea what you mean by that. Did you understand my comment ?

If you connect a drive to SATA port 3 or 4, the second M.2 slot might be disabled.

Also the second M.2 slot runs max at half the PCIe Gen3 speed, while your drive is a PCIe Gen4 so all in all 1/4 speed

Edited by leclod

6 minutes ago, Gill509 said:

Could you elaborate. I downloaded AOMEI partition Assistant but it’s not showing the drive. Are there any options I should try?

I don't know what the issue might be.  When I went through the process, the M2 drive was recognized right away but mine was a Samsung 980 Pro

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

9 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, that's exactly how it should work. PCIe is backwards and forwards compatible, so a PCIe 4.0 drive should work in a 3.0 slot (and vice versa). The drive will simply run in backwards compatible mode and run at PCIe 3.0 speeds.

thanks for your confirmation.

7 minutes ago, leclod said:

No idea what you mean by that. Did you understand my comment ?

If you connect a drive to SATA port 3 or 4, the second M.2 slot might be disabled.

Also the second M.2 slot runs max at half the PCIe Gen3 speed, while your drive is a PCIe Gen4 so all in all 1/4 speed

Sorry for not being clear. I meant that I tried the new drive in both slots with and without my other drive. Even when it is just the new drive (990pro) in either slots it doesn’t appear in my bios or when trying to do a fresh windows install.

Ok, try this :

Here is the whole procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10/11 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other drives.

Edited by leclod

26 minutes ago, leclod said:

Ok, try this :

Here is the whole procedure for install of windows on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10/11 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other drives.

I tried it step by step but it still won’t pick it up sadly.