This one Noctua Fan brought my temps down drastically

Jaw709

My back fan has been busted for a few months, but after upgrading to a 6900xt and obligatory 4k, my CPU temps were hitting 92(c) and 88(c) for the GPU. I really don't trust myself with water cooling and didn't want to hassle with a bigger heatsink for the CPU, so that really kind of narrowed down my options. I started looking for fan, but not just any fan would do, it had to be fast.

Of course I thought about LTT, but it just so happens this Noctua one was both 3000 RPM and could do same-day delivery. After installing and setting an aggressive fan curve in BIOS i.e. full blast at 60 (c), I brought the CPU temp down to around 80 and the GPU to a techtacular 70 or less in 4k Battlefield V.

To say I am pleased is an understatement, although I do wear headphones most of the time as it can be a little ear-heavy. With that said, this small purchase saved me time and money, which I can now reinvest in watching more jayz2cents hah. Anyway, new here thought i'd make a post because that's the fan you always see on LTT except this one is black inside.

nRlQ23i.png

ya a fast hi rpm works good if you can tolorate the nose. but it can be hi well gaming and quiet at idle any way so...

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

10 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

ya a fast hi rpm works good if you can tolorate the nose. but it can be hi well gaming and quiet at idle any way so...

For true; my next upgrade will be from the r5 3600 to the 57/800X3D. Gonna try to get away with having the same fan for my intake on the front, creating a veritable wind tunnel, without having to do much else. We shall see!

9 hours ago, Jaw709 said:

For true; my next upgrade will be from the r5 3600 to the 57/800X3D. Gonna try to get away with having the same fan for my intake on the front, creating a veritable wind tunnel, without having to do much else. We shall see!

that back fan is needed for the gpu as it exhaust it hot air at the side. if you case has bottom fans it can help move some of it up and out the top but if you dont have bottom fans then the back fan in needed.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

that back fan is needed for the gpu as it exhaust it hot air at the side. if you case has bottom fans it can help move some of it up and out the top but if you dont have bottom fans then the back fan in needed.

Yeah, my case has a few big slow fans ~200mm 800 RPM on the front, top and side (right next to GPU) and now the back blaster. She's a dino, but gonna upgrade it eventually. My main concern with temps will be if the 5800X3D will be OK with another fast fan on the front and stock cooler.

3 minutes ago, Jaw709 said:

Yeah, my case has a few big slow fans ~200mm 800 RPM on the front, top and side (right next to GPU) and now the back blaster. She's a dino, but gonna upgrade it eventually. My main concern with temps will be if the 5800X3D will be OK with another fast fan on the front and stock cooler.

a upgrade to the cooler will give the most temp drop and posably lower noise but with the 3000 rpm fan probly dont care about noise. the 200mm fans should be quiet thow.

what case do you have?

32 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

a upgrade to the cooler will give the most temp drop and posably lower noise but with the 3000 rpm fan probly dont care about noise. the 200mm fans should be quiet thow.

what case do you have?

I can take a pic when I get home in about 8 hours, but it's a ThermalTake big white with mostly opaque side panel. I traded a raspberyy pi for it off FB marketplace. Guy had a phenom ii x4 in it, so guessing around 10-15 years old lol

Here is what I am working with- in the first picture you can see the noctua fan, the side panel fan, and the top Going to do another noctua 3000 on the front and try to reinvent the jet stream in there

PXL_20240321_215921902.thumb.jpg.60dc992f695584dca0139d9b3d952325.jpgPXL_20240321_215539675.thumb.jpg.66db0897962fc7e794843dad4cc30697.jpg

PXL_20240321_215556957.jpg

PXL_20240321_215755885.jpg

i would flip the side fan so it exhaust or remove it

ya a cpu cooler would be a huge upgrade and then i would put a fan in the top front as intake.

its posable to mount a fan in the 5.25 bay just might not look as nice. you can get a 3d printed mount but they cost alot. there one on ammazon for like $15.

Edited by thrasher_565

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

i would flip the side fan so it exhaust or remove it

ya a cpu cooler would be a huge upgrade and then i would put a fan in the top front as intake.

its posable to mount a fan in the 5.25 bay just might not look as nice. you can get a 3d printed mount but they cost alot. there one on ammazon for like $15.

Nice that is an interesting idea @ mounting in top front.. that would direct the air current more across the CPU, thanks! and for the side fan, I will definitely try that. I've heard about like positive/negative pressure with the fans, but i'm not experienced in that regard. How much can it really impact the temps?

Thank you