Relocating desktop to alternate room, what did Linus settle on?

aggie113

Plan is to reuse copper phone run in guest bedroom to pull two fiber runs through the wall.  Initially I will use this to run my 12 bay NAS and my UNVR-Pro.  Primary network equipment will still be in loft space (office area) that is the most challenging to cool in the summer.  Looking to the future I may want to relocate my desktop as well.  I figure I could use a SFP+ switch/aggregator to use one of the fiber runs for the networking equipment and one for running the desktop remotely.  Wanted to benefit from all of Linus's trials and errors but I am not sure where he ended up in regards to the equipment he used to do his remote runs.  

But I'm just talking out my ass.

Dont bother trying its Simply not worth it. You dont have the time + money + troubleshooting team that linus has to get something like this to work.

You can put it in another room and just remote in with remote desktop with something like a mini pc in the room, but dont try to run wires through the house. Quite a few people on here have tried it and its always a disaster. Its not a practical solution.

Linus ended up using a usb over ethernet run/optical usb and optical fiber/hdmi as the thunderbolt was too much work to keep going.

Pretty much have a dedicated cable for what you want to do as combining it all in one is the most fragile costly pile of trouble you can do.

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least the NAS and UNVR have a new home.  Phone wire ran under the house though so ended up drilling a small hole in the ceiling to flag where I needed to drill into the wall cavity.  Was able to find the 2 1/2" hole I made with a fiberglass pole run up through the wall's phone box.  Untitled.thumb.jpg.169e3e7f76308a39a4165fffd9fa61a5.jpg

But I'm just talking out my ass.