Need power source options for powerful fans

RevGAM
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's probably 6300,0  rpm or some mistake in description.

But anyway for both fans... You can power them by connecting them directly to the ATX power supply.

Take out the 12v and ground wires from the connector, and connect them to a molex or sata connector. Molex would be better, it's rated for 5A of current, your fan says it can do 4.35A max.  SATA is only good for 4.5A of current.

You can control the speed through the pwm wire just like with any other fan, connect that wire and the ground wire (duplicate it if needed) to the fan controller or the motherboard fan header.

And there's more powerful fans available than that...  for example this Sanyo Denki 140mm fan runs at up to 7600 rpm and eats up to 55 watts 9GV1412P1G001

or this delta model that goes up to 7400 rpm and 44.5 watts : PFR1212DHE-SP00

I'm not kidding when I say powerful. These are DC fans.  None of the FC and hubs that I have can handle my strongest Delta, let alone my Youngyi Snowfan (63,000 RPM),  so I really need advice on what I can use. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

63 000 RPM what are u planing to cool down? my bad jokes? 

but this i guess 

POWER DISTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS POWER DISTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS

Can't you just use a DC power supply and control the speed with DC voltage? I assume this is just for more fan testing? 

4 minutes ago, NorKris said:

63 000 RPM what are u planing to cool down? my bad jokes? 

but this i guess 

POWER DISTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS POWER DISTRIBUTION SOLUTIONS

Yes, your jokes are my target. I'm going to spin up a hurricane that'll reach Norway. 😆 

When I bought it, I thought that the RPM was a typo, but now that I have it (and the Delta), I want control of the beasts!

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

2 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

Can't you just use a DC power supply and control the speed with DC voltage? I assume this is just for more fan testing? 

Well, if I knew the right way to do the wiring (it's pwm), and I have a DC supply that's strong enough... I'll have to check to see if it outputs over 5W.

It's probably 6300,0  rpm or some mistake in description.

But anyway for both fans... You can power them by connecting them directly to the ATX power supply.

Take out the 12v and ground wires from the connector, and connect them to a molex or sata connector. Molex would be better, it's rated for 5A of current, your fan says it can do 4.35A max.  SATA is only good for 4.5A of current.

You can control the speed through the pwm wire just like with any other fan, connect that wire and the ground wire (duplicate it if needed) to the fan controller or the motherboard fan header.

And there's more powerful fans available than that...  for example this Sanyo Denki 140mm fan runs at up to 7600 rpm and eats up to 55 watts 9GV1412P1G001

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can power it by connecting it directly to the ATX power supply.

Marius, thank you!

I think that Delta is similar to what I have, except mine has very high pressure, too. I have a couple others but I need to rewire them, too. 

The only bad thing about the Snowfan was that they wired the connector in reverse, so it didn't work till I fixed that. I'm not sure what it's pressure is. 

1 hour ago, tkitch said:

something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DKARDU-Adapter-Splitter-Braided-Computer/dp/B0C9TRNQLT

but at 4A per fan?  Maybe don't use more than one per cable.  jesus.  

(Or make your own with heavier wire.)

I think I need to find a source of just the male and female connectors, don't you?

20 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I think I need to find a source of just the male and female connectors, don't you?

You mean PWM connector housing and pins ?

You probably will need a crimper too if you are making one from scratch.

AFAIK that connector rated for just up to 4A at max 5v.

Correction below

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

7 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

You mean PWM connector housing and pins ?

You probably will need a crimper too if you are making one from scratch.

AFAIK that connector rated for just up to 4A at max 5v.

So I would still need to use the Molex D? I HATE them. 

7 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

So I would still need to use the Molex D? I HATE them. 

? For the power you mean ?

edit:

As for my post above, I read it wrong, no it's not 4A 5v, it's much more than that.

Sorry for the confusion, you can slap me later for reading spec sheet while lacking sleep.

The female PWM connector will need crimper (unless you jank it)

The male standalone connector (Like the one in the amazon product pic) need crimping as well, although idk if Molex actually made one (the connector) or it's just a product that was given birth out of necessity by some factory out there.

Edited by Poinkachu
CORRECTING MY OWN IDIOCY

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

? For the power you mean ?

edit:

As for my post above, I read it wrong, no it's not 4A 5v, it's much more than that.

Sorry for the confusion, you can slap me later for reading spec sheet while lacking sleep.

The female PWM connector will need crimper (unless you jank it)

The male standalone connector probably don't need crimping, although idk if Molex actually made one or it's just a product that was given birth out of necessity by some factory out there.

Wait, are you talking about standard connectors or MD?