My over 1000$ PC mistake

Before you start to read this I am very sorry about my bad english because I am from EU and it not my first language.

So last year I updated my whole PC and even bought 4080 was excited to play and I did until I decided to "open my window" you see my smart"person" self and i did open the window to "the top half open position" but I have not noticed that it fully opened and the worst thing is that I had a dehumidifier(that slowly turns into liquid) on the window sill and with little bit of wind it has ended in my PC and around the PC ... PC did work tho and did not shut down or k*lled it self but I did k*ll the power to it and got to cleaning it and stuff (I was not able to get all of it) ... So I had PC at shop where cleaning of the PC costed 150 bucks and after like 3 weeks of waiting it was done and working and they had to do some drastic cleaning that I was really afraid of but it did work but they never cleaned the GPU and after couple days of having the PC at home the GPU started making noise like some sparking or something along those lines so I took it to another shop where they did fix it and cleaned it but the GPU died on me after 5 minutes when I did bring it home so I did call them up I did bring the GPU to them and not even week in and they have called me that GPU is toast (the fix costed 400 bucks almost and the are willing  to give me most of amount back but they do want to keep I think 50 bucks for the work they had to put into it ) .... So I took MOBO to the RMA because I think the slots may have killed the GPU or something .... It's safe to say that I royally screwed up and I might not even get my money back for the MOBO or get new one(I still have wait for news about that) so it might be even more then 1000 bucks a lot more and I don't think that I can afford to rebuild the PC . 

So here you have it ...  Now I have to buy new GPU and I don't even trust rest of the components like the CPU but it should be fine because it's new one after the old one died but I don't trust the ram or the cables or the power supply I do trust the SSD's but I don't trust my M.2... even tho everything has shown and is working or has worked until the GPU problem arose and I took th  PC apart ... And now most of my PC is on my desk  ....

Just so you asking the stuff that got into the PC well most manufacturers would not RMA any liquid damage... So yeah here is my mistake.

Can you list the exact components you have left (brands and models) that are working and indicate which of those components you don't trust. I'll then try to recommend a suite of tests you can use to determine if the components are trustworthy. 🙂

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

From what I have now on table and it is working is i have I7 13700k, Kingston FURY DDR5 5600Mhz 32GB kit CL36,m.2 Goodram PX600 2tb, then I have Patroon P210 2tb, and very weird combo of Verbatim VI560 S3 1tb inside of box that makes into SSD with sata/power connector (because I was not smart and did not know how to setup a bios so both m.2 would show up) and finally GIGABYTE UG1000GM - I know it's of un-smart setup and probably way too much for me but you know I was going all out on this thing .... I do have spare older board with it could test the maybe PSU and the SSD's but I don't have anything else to test the rest on ..... I don't really trust the PSU, I kind of trust the ram and the m.2 but I am not 100% on it even tho they do work or did before I took the PC apart 🙂 - I could have them cleaned and checked or rather tested by the other shop where I had my GPU before it became piece of scrap .... 

My MOBO is in RMA it was Asus Prime Z790 -P and and idk if they will fix it or if they will refund or if they refuse to give any sort of refund - that is something that will most likely happen it's what I fear of ... And it's something that will push me even more into un-smart spending .... And I am not happy about it at all 😕

Oh yeah and I do have one more spare 13700k that is brand new in un-opened box too, that nobody wants even if I am selling under the the price tag ...

1 hour ago, Dostal133 said:

My MOBO is in RMA it was Asus Prime Z790 -P and and idk if they will fix it or if they will refund or if they refuse to give any sort of refund - that is something that will most likely happen it's what I fear of ... And it's something that will push me even more into un-smart spending .... And I am not happy about it at all 😕

Don't pay for more cleaning. That is just throwing money away. Get some isopropyl alcohol and clean it yourself. You have nothing to loose. And don't expect money back or a rma. With water damage, that is almost certainly going to void warranty.

Yeah I should probably clean what I have on the table and wait for the results on the MOBO but like you said I am not expecting anything... So idk I will probably have buy new one I don't think that bit of isopropyl will fix MOBO ... 

Also this stuff does not come of even if you use isopropyl.... It's like oily and salty at same time likes to rust heck out of anything that is metal so I don't trust most of my cables now actually 😄 also I can replace the 4080 but do I want I kinda don't right now because I just changed my whole room mid while fixing these problems and I have to yet buy new chair ... And it is extremely expensive card 😄

And I am kinda pissed off by this unluckiness that has managed to struck me 😞

"using rtx 4080 as paperweight could be new meme"

Here, the insurance would take care of problems like this. 

Idk ... I don't think that they would care but it's fine I will save up and buy another GPU ... And I am gonna try sell the 4080 for parts that do work like the heatsink and fans work and board is good for nothing ...

• 2 weeks later...

Mobo is back and there is nothing wrong with it ... soo only thing to buy again ) is GPU i dont think that Palit would be too happy if i bother them with my dumdum moment .... )

Well, if you bothered them with your dumdumb moment before letting some stranger lurking inside the GPU, they might've fixed it for you. That's the plus of going with the unpopular brands - they are far more likely to accept your RMA, even if it's your fault, unlike brands like Asus, Gigabyte and MSI. But once someone else had opened it and did god knows what in there, no chance of success now.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I should have been bit more smarter but I guess we all learn from mistakes ...