Unraid vs TrueNAS?

I want to convert an old PC to a storage server for a group I volunteer with. We can only afford 4 4TB drives at the time, but we need the ability to expand with more storage in the future. I would like the OS to be easy to use since the group will still need to use it after I leave with easy expansion in the future.

They don't know RAID or anything really IT related, so easier for them the better.

I'd go unraid if easy expansion is wanted.

Make sure you have a good backup plan in case something goes wrong here.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

a slight sidenote to this though, the process to swap out a failed drive on unraid is kind of.. "dense"..

i've no idea how it is on the truenas side though..

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That's what I was thinking, but don't know if I should do a larger parity drive to make expansion easier.

If you go with unraid at least do 2 larger drives instead of 4 small. The fewer the better, and larger drives are also cheaper / TB. Does mean you "lose" a larger percentage to parity until you add more, but...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

If you go with unraid at least do 2 larger drives instead of 4 small. The fewer the better, and larger drives are also cheaper / TB. Does mean you "lose" a larger percentage to parity until you add more, but...

If I use less drives, don't I lose a lot of capacity? RAID 1 with 2 x 8TB is 8TBs of capacity vs RAID 5 with 4 x 4TB and 12TBs of storage

That's what I meant yes. But then with unraid any extra drive you add will be fully usable, so with 2x8TB you only get 8TB usable, but once you add a third you get 16TB, etc and as you add more drives the "loss" to parity gets less.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2