CLONING WINDOWS DRIVE TO A NEW DRIVE!

Hello

I have this 128gigs ssd as my windows drive but it remains mostly full. I've bought a new 500gigs ssd and want to replace it with my existing windows drive. Is there any software or method that I could use to clone my existing 128gig drive to the new drive so that all the software, data and maybe windows too, gets moved to the newer drive? I don't want to go on an installing marathon with all these software. ;-;

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, u55ama said:

Hello

I have this 128gigs ssd as my windows drive but it remains mostly full. I've bought a new 500gigs ssd and want to replace it with my existing windows drive. Is there any software or method that I could use to clone my existing 128gig drive to the new drive so that all the software, data and maybe windows too, gets moved to the newer drive? I don't want to go on an installing marathon with all these software. ;-;

Thanks in advance!

I've used Macrium Reflect to clone a few times

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

I use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It's done 3 OS clones for me no issues - though you have to track down a copy of v11, as v12 makes OS cloning not free... kind of a hassle

elephants

Another one that's free is Clonezilla.

Clonezilla - Downloads

Use it with along with Rufus and you should be covered, Tom's Hardware also has a guide that can get you started with it.

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

How To Clone Your SSD or Hard Drive | Tom's Hardware

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

I use PQMagic.. 

doesn't realy matter what software you use.. 

the important part is that windows creates several partitions, a boot partition, a system drive and a partition at the end of the disk usually for restore, let windows keep it's partitions, and MOVE that partition to the end of your new disk before you resize the C partition. 

If your new drive is a Samsung, they have a free cloning utility that is just click and clone.  No configuration is necessary.  I used it a couple of months ago to clone my OS that was on a SSD to a Samsung NVME.  I think Crucial also have a free tool.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

2 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

I've used Macrium Reflect to clone a few times

For those not in the know, Macrium Reflect is no longer free for personal use. The last free version can be downloaded here.

1 hour ago, WhitetailAni said:

I use MiniTool Partition Wizard. It's done 3 OS clones for me no issues - though you have to track down a copy of v11, as v12 makes OS cloning not free... kind of a hassle

I have both V11 and 12 saved for posterity. That's good to know, as I almost deleted the V11 installer a few different times.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

20 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

For those not in the know, Macrium Reflect is no longer free for personal use. The last free version can be downloaded here.

I have both V11 and 12 saved for posterity. That's good to know, as I almost deleted the V11 installer a few different times.

Yea, The one I have installed in my PC is an old one, so still totally free & not a trial either.

The free one on their website it's a 30 days trial now, but should be enough for a quick cloning job.

Different case if wanting to use it as a periodic backup solution.

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Yea, The one I have installed in my PC is an old one, so still totally free & not a trial either.

The free one on their website it's a 30 days trial now, but should be enough for a quick cloning job.

Different case if wanting to use it as a periodic backup solution.

Yeah, that's true. Though (for me, personally) I don't count free trials as "free". I also keep an old V8 installer around so I can use it in perpetuity.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

34 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

Yeah, that's true. Though (for me, personally) I don't count free trials as "free". I also keep an old V8 installer around so I can use it in perpetuity.

Free to use but not own (for 30 days after install)

😉 😬

Most average user will just clone 1 time until they buy a new drive anyway.

Eh well, IMO still better than softwares that says "Free trial" but locks up to 90% of feature (including very important feature we actually need or downloaded the software for). 😬

But yeap, as you and others have implied, many other alternatives too.

I just happened to stumbled upon & use Macrium as my first time cloning / imaging software, so it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Cheers~

Refresh before you reply

On 2/23/2024 at 8:45 PM, WhitetailAni said:

I don't specifically want cloning but a kind of a migration from my existing 128 to a new 500. I'm willing to buy the tool if it really works.

4 minutes ago, u55ama said:

I don't specifically want cloning but a kind of a migration from my existing 128 to a new 500.

Yes... that's called an OS clone.

I've done it from 128GB to 1TB, and then 1TB another 1TB (SATA to NVMe upgrade)

elephants