R5 5600X Broken and Bent Pins.

Hello all!

I have a Ryzen 5 5600X with 3 broken pins and 3 bent pins. The 3 bent pins are highlighted in yellow and are "MB_DQS_L[3]", "MB_DATA[30]", and "MB_DATA[26]". The 3 broken pins are "MB_CHECK[2]", "MB_CLK_H[0]", and "MB_CLK_L[0]". I would like to know what these pins do, and if the CPU would function after I correct the bent pins. 

On the Vermeer pinout diagram, these pins all correlate to B channel memory, I was wondering if this was the case, I could use the A channel only, but I don't know much about this topic. Any help/information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Screenshot_20240213_233156_eBay.jpg

18 minutes ago, Sumilum said:

Hello all!

I have a Ryzen 5 5600X with 3 broken pins and 3 bent pins. The 3 bent pins are highlighted in yellow and are "MB_DQS_L[3]", "MB_DATA[30]", and "MB_DATA[26]". The 3 broken pins are "MB_CHECK[2]", "MB_CLK_H[0]", and "MB_CLK_L[0]". I would like to know what these pins do, and if the CPU would function after I correct the bent pins. 

On the Vermeer pinout diagram, these pins all correlate to B channel memory, I was wondering if this was the case, I could use the A channel only, but I don't know much about this topic. Any help/information is appreciated.

Thanks!

Bent pins happen on AM4, even if you're careful. I've had to straighten pins out in the past and it works as long as you're careful not to fatigue the metal and break them off. If you get resistance when inserting it after attempting such, you either got to full send and hope it still works (and never attempt to remove the CPU) or see where they're still bent. AM4 CPUs should just drop in like its not even socketed, for reference.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

1 minute ago, Agall said:

Bent pins happen on AM4, even if you're careful. I've had to straighten pins out in the past and it works as long as you're careful not to fatigue the metal and break them off. If you get resistance when inserting it after attempting such, you either got to full send and hope it still works (and never attempt to remove the CPU) or see where they're still bent. AM4 CPUs should just drop in like its not even socketed, for reference.

There's 2 pins I can 100% straighten out, but one is so severely bent I'm not really sure. What I'm concerned about is if it'll turn on in this condition, because I was thinking about sending the CPU to a specialized repair shop to have the broken pins replaced.

Welcome to the forums!
Oof, not sure where you're located, but 5600x's go for 100-150USD on ebay and a specialty repair shop is gonna cost a pretty penny if you can even find one that is willing to do it.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

6 minutes ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!
Oof, not sure where you're located, but 5600x's go for 100-150USD on ebay and a specialty repair shop is gonna cost a pretty penny if you can even find one that is willing to do it.

Thanks!

I bought the 5600X off of ebay in the first place. I don't mind overpaying a little bit just to have it done, because buying another one would cost me even more. I might try returning it to the seller if it doesn't work in my motherboard.

Also, the $100 5600x's sell super quickly on ebay and r/hws. Would have snagged one of those if I got the chance. I bought this 5600x for $90 as an untested part, because of the pins.

I've asked for quotes from 2 repair shops specializing in this type of repair, but I'm just waiting to hear back.

For the pins that can be straightened out just straighten em, can use anything from your fingernails to a razor

Broken pins youll have to desolder and get a cheap donor cpu (can be am3 afaik since the pins are the same size) to salvage pins off which doesnt sound that hard with just a heatgun some solder paste and tweezers

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Broken pins youll have to desolder and get a cheap donor cpu

Get a pinout for the chip first and make sure they are in use, they could be redundant.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:10 AM, Sumilum said:

I've asked for quotes from 2 repair shops specializing in this type of repair, but I'm just waiting to hear back.

If they won’t work with you let me know. I can either walk you through it one of the days I’m not working at my day job or do it. If it got sent to me shipping might make it a bit cost prohibitive though. Shipping to and from Alaska can be interesting. 
Because of shipping times I do also have a 3600x that could be sent out to you first as “collateral”

The pin you’re worried about breaking off when you bend it back might break off. There’s not much getting around that. Metal fatigues. If it does break off it’s not the end of the world. 

On 2/15/2024 at 2:33 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

For the pins that can be straightened out just straighten em, can use anything from your fingernails to a razor

Broken pins youll have to desolder and get a cheap donor cpu (can be am3 afaik since the pins are the same size) to salvage pins off which doesnt sound that hard with just a heatgun some solder paste and tweezers

@Sumilumthis is all correct though.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Bear in mind if straightening pins, not to bend them quickly, instead bend them SLOWLY so the pin doesn't snap due to induced metal fatigue when you bend it quickly.
Take your time with it and you should be able to fix it as long as the pin's metal isn't already fatigued to the point of it breaking anyway.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

21 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Bear in mind if straightening pins, not to bend them quickly, instead bend them SLOWLY so the pin doesn't snap due to induced metal fatigue when you bend it quickly.
Take your time with it and you should be able to fix it as long as the pin's metal isn't already fatigued to the point of it breaking anyway.

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.

36 minutes ago, Ralphred said:

Get a pinout for the chip first and make sure they are in use, they could be redundant.

All of them are in use, all 6 of the pins are used for B channel memory. It's why I was thinking the CPU would work if I only used the A channel for RAM.

On 2/15/2024 at 2:33 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I don't trust myself to do it, even if it is easy. I've broken too many parts to try myself

47 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If they won’t work with you let me know. I can either walk you through it one of the days I’m not working at my day job or do it. If it got sent to me shipping might make it a bit cost prohibitive though. Shipping to and from Alaska can be interesting. 
Because of shipping times I do also have a 3600x that could be sent out to you first as “collateral”

The pin you’re worried about breaking off when you bend it back might break off. There’s not much getting around that. Metal fatigues. If it does break off it’s not the end of the world.

It would be cool for you to do it, but shipping to you would cost $50 by itself. I still haven't heard back from the people I asked for quotes from, but I'll let you know.

What would I need to use to change out the pins? I'm scared a heat gun would blow away the other pins.

Also, would it be safe to try and power on the PC with the CPU in this condition? I want to see if it will work, because the pinout makes me think that the broken pins will only cause a memory issue. 

(green means memory channel b)

Screenshot 2024-02-14 11.34.07.png

Screenshot 2024-02-14 11.32.09.png

1 hour ago, Sumilum said:

bought the 5600X off of ebay in the first place

Wait, did it arrive broken? if so, get a refund. Unless you bought it as Parts Only

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

6 minutes ago, Sumilum said:

What would I need to use to change out the pins? I'm scared that a heat gun would blow away the other pins.

A heat gun would be the *correct* way to do it. 

If you're careful with the heat, it's easy to do. 

If you're not careful with the heat it's not easy to do.

I have heard of people doing it with a soldering iron, but never tried it myself.

15 minutes ago, Sumilum said:

It would be cool for you to do it, but shipping to you would cost $50 by itself.

That's what I was worried about. It can be cheaper each way, but still somewhat cost prohibitive. UPS flat rate slow mode is about $20 each way. I'd still consider that pretty much cost prohibitive. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 hours ago, Sumilum said:

3 bent pins

My favourite is using a mechanical pencil.

I skimmed through this article, it seems pretty good.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/330221-how-to-repair-bent-amd-cpu-pins-with-a-mechanical-pencil

CPU-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X / CPU Cooler-Noctua NH-D15S / Motherboard-MSI MPG X570S CARBON MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-WD WDBSLA0040HNC-NRSN 4TB 3.5" 7200 RPM / Storage-WD Red 6 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM--Crucial P3 4TB 3.0X4 NVME--Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Corsair MP600 CORE 2TB 4.0X4 NVME / Video Card-XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / PSU-SeaSonic PRIME 1000 W 80+ Gold / Sound Card-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z w/Shield / Monitor-BenQ GW2765HT 27.0" 2560 x 1440 60 Hz / Monitor-Asus ROG Strix XG27AQ 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz / Keyboard-Logitech G Pro / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / UPS-CyberPower GX1325U / Fan Controller-Corsair Commander Pro

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / CPU Cooler-Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX / Motherboard-Asus TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) / MemoryG.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Western Digital Black SN750 SE 1TB 4.0X4 NVME--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB 3.0X4 NVME--Seagate Barracuda Compute 3 TB 3.5" 5400 RPM / Video Card-Asus KO Gaming OC GeForce RTX 3070 / Case-Lian Li O11 Air Mini / Case-LIAN LI PCI-E 16 X 4.0 Black Riser / PSU-EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ Gold / Monitor-LG 22BK430H-B 21.5" 1920 x 1080 60 Hz / Monitor-MSI Optix 271CQP 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Curved / Keyboard-Logitech G413 TKL SE / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD / Fan Controller-Corsair  Commander Pro / Sony HT-S200F Soundbar

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700X / CPU Cooler-Scythe Mugen 5 Black Edition / Motherboard-MSI MPG B550I GAMING EDGE MAX WIFI / Memory-G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 / Storage-Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--PNY CS900 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB NVME/ Video Card-EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 / Case-Cooler NR200P / PSU-Cooler Master V750 SFX GOLD / Keyboard-HyperX Alloy Origins Core / Mouse-Logitech G502 HERO Wired / UPS-CyberPower LE1000DG-FC / Fan Controller-NZXT RGB & Fan Controller

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 5700G / CPU Cooler-Scythe Shuriken 2 / Motherboard-Gigabyte X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI / Memory-Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3800 CL18 / Storage-WD Blue 1TB 2.5" SSD--Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB 3.0X4 NVME--Patriot P310 1.92TB 3.0X4 NVME / Case-InWin B1 Mesh / Keyboard-Logitech K380 / Mouse-Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED Wireless / Monitor-ViewSonic VX1755 17" 1080p Portable IPS Gaming Monitor 144Hz / Speakers-Creative Muvo Go (Black)

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

Wait, did it arrive broken? if so, get a refund. Unless you bought it as Parts Only

Bought it as parts-only.

1 hour ago, IkeaGnome said:

I have heard of people doing it with a soldering iron, but never tried it myself.

I thought a soldering iron would work too, I have one of those on hand. I don't have a heat gun and I'm not careful enough with it, so I'll try the soldering iron fix. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, wONKEyeYEs said:

My favourite is using a mechanical pencil.

I skimmed through this article, it seems pretty good.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/330221-how-to-repair-bent-amd-cpu-pins-with-a-mechanical-pencil

Good thing I have like 1 .7mm mechanical pencil, because I only use pens. I'll try it when I'm not busy. Thanks!

What happened to this thread 😭 

19 hours ago, Sumilum said:

What happened to this thread 😭 

Sorry, wasn't trying to completely derail it.

Have you decided if you're going to do the pin swap yourself or not?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Thread cleaned. Stay on topic, be excellent to each other.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

9 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

Sorry, wasn't trying to completely derail it.

Have you decided if you're going to do the pin swap yourself or not?

I fixed the bent pins and to my surprise, it works! It works fine right now, so unless I feel an extreme urge to fix it in the future I will probably leave it all alone. Thanks for your help, I learned a lot more about this topic.