Do VM's run faster on an SSD than on a HDD?

BaidDSB

I have a VMware Windows 10 VM. the files are placed on my HDD.

It kinda feels slow inside the VM.

If i move the VM files to my NVME, will the VM run faster?

That depends on why it is slow. If it is held back by I/O performance, an SSD would help. But if you're limited by CPU performance or RAM performance, it's not going to help. As a general rule of thumb, an SSD will make the system feel snappier, because things load faster.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

11 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

That depends on why it is slow. If it is held back by I/O performance, an SSD would help. But if you're limited by CPU performance or RAM performance, it's not going to help. As a general rule of thumb, an SSD will make the system feel snappier, because things load faster.

well im giving my VM 4 processors and 2 cores [the max im apparently allowed from my 5600x] and 16 gb of my 32gb ram.

it only started slowing down a week or 2 ago. before that it was very snappy for months.

12 minutes ago, BaidDSB said:

4 processors and 2 cores

🤖 Does not compute Do you mean 2 cores and 4 threads?

In any case, you'll want to diagnose performance issues the same way you'd do for a normal PC. Have a look into task manager, anything using a lot of CPU or a lot of RAM? Anything heavy running on the host itself? You're effectively running two PCs on the same hardware, so load of one can affect performance of the other.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

A VM is a machine running an OS like any other, so just as it's pretty terrible to run an OS from an HDD on a real machine it'll be the same for a VM.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

10 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

A VM is a machine running an OS like any other, so just as it's pretty terrible to run an OS from an HDD on a real machine it'll be the same for a VM.

ok, so how do i change the VM from my HDD to my SSD?

1 hour ago, BaidDSB said:

ok, so how do i change the VM from my HDD to my SSD?

2 hours ago, BaidDSB said:

the files are placed on my HDD

Move said files in file manager to the NvMe and update the VM settings to point the virtual drive to the new location.

However if your use case is this: "I'm not concerned about the performance of the windows OS itself and my focus is an application (like a database), I will load the database into ram." Then it doesn't matter, your bypassing the need for a HDD, it's only used to load the database on startup or make changes. The live environment stays in ram.

The answer to PC cooling is aircon. RGB sucks. Have you tried turning it off and on again

Adv Dip Computer Engineering  |  CCNA  |  ITIL  |  macOS Support Essentials  |  Security + |  Internal Cabling License  |  SAA-C03  |  RHCSA (studying)

Level 2 Support full admin AD  |  IBM Server Build Technician  |  Various IT consulting work

The Hermit Build

"run" faster - no.

"access the disk faster" - yes.

and windows 10 just really needs fast disk access to feel snappy.

Modern operating systems run poorly on HDDs in general, no matter what the context. There might be some "light" versions of linux that are OK on HDDs but SSDs are so cheap you really should just use an SSD. 

You can get SSDs for as low as $20ish these days. If it's a small enough OS... $7ish to get a 16GB optane stick is about as cheap as it gets. 

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800