Is Xbox kind of dead?

AngelaHornung

I used to be a huge Xbox fan, loved the original (it was my first console, I still have it), loved the 360, I even stuck around through the Xbox One fiasco. At the time I was also a big Microsoft fan, and had adopted their eco-system entirely. While I have an Xbox Series X atm, I have to admit I rarely use it, most of the time I just use my Switch. In fact I've found myself much more fond of Nintendo consoles atm and it's been this way since late Xbox One days. Now I'm hearing rumors that Microsoft is planning to push for complete digital on all their consoles. 

Is Xbox kind of done? Two generations of eh feels pretty catastrophic in terms of brand health. Perhaps my tastes just changed, I've always loved Nintendo but they seem to be my absolute bread and butter lately with few exceptions like games Cities: Skylines. 

I'd love to hear your guys thoughts on this and perhaps there is some Xbox material I'm totally missing out on. 

- Angela Hornung

I think the latest generation of consoles has knocked Xbox off the throne, as the PS5 has advanced more than the Xbox has, especially with the new controller's adaptive triggers. This led to the PS5 massively outselling the Xbox, I guess people just don't think they are innovating as much anymore. Yeah it's more powerful, but is it that much different? PlayStation also have a VR, Xbox have yet to release a competitor.

2 minutes ago, TheProGamer said:

I think the latest generation of consoles has knocked Xbox off the throne, as the PS5 has advanced more than the Xbox has, especially with the new controller's adaptive triggers. This led to the PS5 massively outselling the Xbox, I guess people just don't think they are innovating as much anymore. Yeah it's more powerful, but is it that much different? PlayStation also have a VR, Xbox have yet to release a competitor.

I personally don't understand how people say the xbox has a more powerful gpu. Either ps5 games are wildly more optimized or I'm missing something here-

I edit my messages more than not –

Probably some dude on the internet

as an exclusivity platform, yeah it's dead.

Xbox as a form factor isn't going anywhere though; it's still cheaper than getting an actual gaming PC going, so many will still prefer it.

4 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

I personally don't understand how people say the xbox has a more powerful gpu. Either ps5 games are wildly more optimized or I'm missing something here-

It does have more raw power, on paper the specs are better, but I guess because PS is an even more closed OS, the developers can hella optimise their games, making the performance difference negligible. 

At the end of the day the software probably matters more than the hardware. If a platform has the games you want, go for it.

MS have their fingers in both PC and console space, and it does feel like they're more interested in saas.

For me, I've always lead with PC gaming although mobile is up there. I use both far more than any console. If a game is cross platform, I'd just rather get it on PC more often than not. There are no exclusives on PS5 or XB to make me go: I have to get that! Switch did get my with Pokemon Snap, but I've not really found any other game to suck me in. Their lineup is different, but just not for me.

4 minutes ago, Hellowpplz said:

On paper, the XSX GPU is stronger than the PS5. When like for like, side by side comparisons are done, it can be seen. It is there, but it isn't that big a difference.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

2 hours ago, porina said:

At the end of the day the software probably matters more than the hardware. If a platform has the games you want, go for it.

MS have their fingers in both PC and console space, and it does feel like they're more interested in saas.

For me, I've always lead with PC gaming although mobile is up there. I use both far more than any console. If a game is cross platform, I'd just rather get it on PC more often than not. There are no exclusives on PS5 or XB to make me go: I have to get that! Switch did get my with Pokemon Snap, but I've not really found any other game to suck me in. Their lineup is different, but just not for me.

On paper, the XSX GPU is stronger than the PS5. When like for like, side by side comparisons are done, it can be seen. It is there, but it isn't that big a difference.

My participation in the platform was first genuine love for the software (I'm a bit of a sucker for Halo), and then since Halo 4 has become kind of tradition, like I went for it simply because I knew what it was and was kind of hoping it improve. Then the Series X for Infinite but that ended up coming out on PC too. I suppose I could go PC, though I very much prefer the Apple eco-system so currently don't have a PC other than my Windows Vista and Windows 7 gaming laptops for my retro PC games. 

I hate to agree but I think people in this thread said it best, Xbox as an innovator and exclusives producer is kind of done. The branding in my guess will probably become a cloud platform rather than a physical piece of hardware you purchase at some point. In which case, that means I think Nintendo is currently the best player. Would love to try out Playstation but holy heck is that library overwhelmingly large. 

- Angela Hornung

4 hours ago, Hellowpplz said:

It's the latter

4 hours ago, TheProGamer said:

The controller is irrelevant; the games are why PS5 is demolishing XBox in sales. None of the hyped XBox exclusives, eg Halo Infinite, Starfield, and Redfall, have been very good while Playstation has had bangers in God of War Ragnarok, Demon's Souls Remake, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spiderman 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, etc.

With all the rumors of Microsoft considering porting their games to PS5 yeah the XBox sounds dead as hell

11 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The controller is irrelevant; the games are why PS5 is demolishing XBox in sales. None of the hyped XBox exclusives, eg Halo Infinite, Starfield, and Redfall, have been very good while Playstation has had bangers in God of War Ragnarok, Demon's Souls Remake, Spiderman Miles Morales, Spiderman 2, Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, etc.

Its also because Xbox doesn't support a lot of Countries and Marketing in Europe is almost non existent. In big Shops they almost don't sell anything Xbox related, while PS and Nintendo have huge stands. 

Also Gamepass Ultimate for Consoles is not supported in a lot of Countries.

16 hours ago, TheProGamer said:

The adaptive triggers for me are BAD. They feel awful

2 hours ago, RabbidEwok said:

The adaptive triggers for me are BAD. They feel awful

In some games they are phenomenal, in others they don't work too well

15 hours ago, TheProGamer said:

In some games they are phenomenal, in others they don't work too well

I’ve played quite a few and even in the tech demo for it (Astro) they feel bad, in Rift apart they also feel bad which again was a glorified tech demo for the PS5 technology.  

6 hours ago, RabbidEwok said:

I’ve played quite a few and even in the tech demo for it (Astro) they feel bad, in Rift apart they also feel bad which again was a glorified tech demo for the PS5 technology.  

Really? I was personally blown away by how much immersion the haptics could add

12 minutes ago, TheProGamer said:

Really? I was personally blown away by how much immersion the haptics could add

Nah it’s just a gimmick. Similar to HD rumble in joycons

2 minutes ago, RabbidEwok said:

Nah it’s just a gimmick. Similar to HD rumble in joycons

Maybe it's not for everyone, guess we had very different experiences

I bought my Guardians edition xbox one for when the game launched and enjoyed replaying the halo games from the master chief collection. Occasionally I'll play Forza but 99% of the time its handling media center duties. I just bought a series x and it will see some games not not often, I just like the interface and it works great as a media center and will handle 4k disks and streaming easily. I'm sure there are a decent amount a users that like it for streaming media. We tried the roku ultra and it did well but I hated that you couldn't seem to turn it off and it kept causing our  living room tv to turn back on randomly. 

I bought a Series X when Best Buy was running them for $339 US, I couldn't be happier. Being able to play many original, 360, and basically every One game is a huge selling point as I have a collection of them from before my final spare 360 hard drive bit the dust. GamePass is pretty great if you're going to play a lot of games, which I am trying my best to get my money's worth out of it. Also I'm a Bethesda game doofus and wanted to play Starfield, and the Series X at the price I paid is much less than putting a GPU in my desktop that would even come close in performance.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Xbox console isn't going anywhere. The main reason why the PS5 vastly outsells the current Xbox isn't because it's technically better, but because the PS5 offers better exclusives. I personally hate exclusive games because I'd like to play some of these games, but I certainly won't buy a $500 console for the 1 or 2 games that interest me and are only available on that platform.

It's similar with Nintendo. With every console generation there are a handful of games I'd love to play, but i can't justify buying a switch for that. And I also don't like reselling the console or games once I played through them because I like to revisit them from time to time.

From a business standpoint the main problem with the Xbox console is the fact that they don't have any good exclusives. The ones they have are just horrible. (*cough* Starfield *cough*) And everyone who already has a PC won't need an Xbox because Windows supports all these games already.

The Xbox console will still exist now and in the future because especially with game pass it's still a very affordable way to play a huge library of games on pretty capable hardware. A $500 PC with game pass won't deliver as good of an experience as an Xbox will.

In a perfect world there wouldn't be any exclusive games and the console war would be purely about who has the better hardware. The hardware would advance a lot quicker because that's the main factor in their competition for market share. But alas, that's not what is happening right now.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

• 1 month later...

i've given up on my XBox and MS XBox games, lack of interest in XBox games, lack of exclusivity since I believe many XBox games can be found on my preferred platform, PCs. This is especially so after the recent MS XBox announcement that female characters in XBox games cannot be curvy (in the right places), I hate when an agenda is shoved down my throat. I'm not willing to pay for the console and games which does NOT cater to my, and I believe most gamers, desire, hell, even women like playing attractive characters. PS upcoming release of the PS exclusive Stellar Blade has me convinced that getting a PS5 is a wiser move, so I'm waiting for the release of the PS5 Pro come end-of-year'ish, 45% improvement over vanilla PS5 is nothing to scoff at.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 4/10/2024 at 9:15 PM, GamerDude said:

i've given up on my XBox and MS XBox games, lack of interest in XBox games, lack of exclusivity since I believe many XBox games can be found on my preferred platform, PCs. This is especially so after the recent MS XBox announcement that female characters in XBox games cannot be curvy (in the right places), I hate when an agenda is shoved down my throat. I'm not willing to pay for the console and games which does NOT cater to my, and I believe most gamers, desire, hell, even women like playing attractive characters.

You deserve a sincere thanks for that comment.

I don't think I have ever laughed quite as hard as when reading this. 

Not saying you are not entitled to your opinion. However, the sheer idea of refusing to buy a console due to lack of big booba is quite a hoot of a concept.

God damn woke Xbox taking away my god given right to bahonkaloogoos...

6 hours ago, da na said:

You deserve a sincere thanks for that comment.

I don't think I have ever laughed quite as hard as when reading this. 

Not saying you are not entitled to your opinion. However, the sheer idea of refusing to buy a console due to lack of big booba is quite a hoot of a concept.

God damn woke Xbox taking away my god given right to bahonkaloogoos...

Fine,  laugh all you want, I don't care. Be happy playing Star Wars Outlaws where the lead female character was deliberately uglified (compare the original actress Humberly Gonzalez against the rendered lead Kay Vess and tell me if you see the resemblance) to suit 'modern audiences' whatever the hell that means. Game journos who once panned games like Nier Automata's 2B when it was released are now praising it as an example of good looking character that many women cosplay to (because they know they'd get slammed for criticizing a now established character like her)., but Eve from Stellar Blade is too sexy/curvy and unrealistic? At the very least, these yahoos should try to be a little more consistent, don't you think? Her body is based on a Korean woman, albeit a Maxim model, but it's real, yet western journos (IGN) are saying having her character's body is unrealistic, and that women would unalive themselves when men comparted her to them, I shit you not! 

With games costing a fair bit of money, I'm being more discerning when it comes to games I play, decent remakes like DSR is fine by me (though Nicole was again deliberately uglified as is the norm) as gameplay is still good. But I'm not touching games that are "made for modern audiences" (which include a lot of woke stuff), also do note that male characters are often rendered well, well enough to resemble their real life actors/models, and are presented as being very buff or manly, female characters, on the other hand, can never be curvy? Sorry, my money, my choice and I choose to play more based games, but IF you enjoy and relish playing uglified characters, with various included SJ messages/storyline as 'bonuses', more power to you!🙄

Also, other than not at all curvy female characters, they are presented as androgenous looking with male facial features, making them look like trans...if you like that look, fine, your money, you can buy whatever you like. I don't like where AAA and western games are going with all these (trans looking female characters, race swapping, look at SBI and BGG influenced games, black female leads (no objection to any female lead, but all the time?) so I'll stick to what I like. For me, gaming is a form of escapism, I do NOT need to see 'real life' reflected in games (something more idealized would be preferable), life is ugly enough as is, I don't want it in the games I play.

Oh yeah, to prevent myself from getting involved in a pointless debate, you're so ignored henceforth....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 4/11/2024 at 11:11 PM, GamerDude said:

Be happy playing Star Wars Outlaws where the lead female character was deliberately uglified

ke967rGLWq3CSBC5P9Ryq6.png?ex=662e9e86&i
This lady is ugly?
I mean I would say she is a solid 8/10

6 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

ke967rGLWq3CSBC5P9Ryq6.png?ex=662e9e86&i
This lady is ugly?
I mean I would say she is a solid 8/10

I think it's either the angle, or the pic's been touched up. Plus compare Humberly Gonzalez  to the rendered Kay Vess whom her character is based off.....go to the page below and compare the pics, and can you explain why they hired a beautiful woman like Humberly and uglify her?

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=e61ceee022fb5976&rlz=1C1FHFK_enSG963SG963&q=star+wars+outlaws+actress&uds=AMwkrPsgaxy4zno0Ec5On9Q8jirujmHnUhGDYln_BaZs2v0WrHsb8JQhCRnRKRSKcEC3Wjme1ikaAsq2R-PEReGolFmMbTiq4xDKzNa0LB6wUsFVYnudRr0i2E-ZW45cA2kg-IV3e2TASSn_xCQpcXCOQG7sVTeduASF5GOe68l9dfBaWLZlTV7o5hqs2g53-b_COwCG96sSrQ3bv2CXUXlh-knFSy4sr_CTGa2zzFSg3w1O6tIY04opyl0UVxWS7pw9ZbzHcq21zkvfpnrc6R-AVdO_s5NEXAIqMGHBR8O9UpiQxVdlmQ1yea3rGdVtMLfYGZEL3yUM&udm=2&prmd=ivnsbmtz&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwilm77licOFAxXbzDgGHfynD6gQtKgLegQICRAB&biw=1373&bih=879&dpr=1#vhid=2FbY82D17lWPBM&vssid=mosaic

One of many YT post about her looks:

There is a reason why the Star Wars Outlaws trailer is getting ratio'ed, plus the people involved are racists....particularly, against whites. Ain't no skin off my back as I'm Asian, I object to this and won't buy Outlaws on principle. To paraphrase the great MLK, I believe ALL color of people should, and MUST be treated on the content of their character and NOT be judged based on skin color.