Old USB standard on New mobo.

Hi,

I’m building a sleeper-kind of pc in a really old case. There are 2 front side usb’s and this is the internal cable (see picture). This is’t the usb 2.0 standard, the “filled” hole is on another pin. Is there any way I can plug this in? It can plug in half of my usb 3.0 mobo header but I’m no sure if that would be a good idea… anyone experience with this?

motherboard is MSI b450m -A pro Max II

EDIT:

It's a Compaq Presario 5WV396 5000 series. If anyone knows if they have a special USB pinout or something, let me know pls.

Thanks!

3460EC05-B3E0-4643-8089-4D133F7B2701.jpeg

You're sure that goes to the USB port, not front panel audio or FireWire?

If you have a multimeter and enough time, you could check each pin, figure out which pins connect together, and plug everything in where it belongs. It might be simpler to just get a premade USB 3.0 header breakout and physically bodge that into the front panel, though.

10 minutes ago, Mateo18 said:

It can plug in half of my usb 3.0 mobo header but I’m no sure if that would be a good idea…

It's absolutely not a good idea. Don't do that.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

That looks like the front panel connector all bundled into one cable (which would be cool). It would fit JFP1 on your mobo.

firefox_2024-02-04_19-24-28.png.04c389785e94cc5b41cd521261058b4c.png

That’s not front panel usb, that’s front panel serial.

IMG_1776.thumb.webp.5e1bf0c177559cafadd3ef61adea4048.webp

your motherboard is not going to have a header for that one

i don’t think you need it plugged in unless you genuinely intend to use a serial port in 2024

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

That’s not front panel usb, that’s front panel serial.

IMG_1776.thumb.webp.5e1bf0c177559cafadd3ef61adea4048.webp

your motherboard is not going to have a header for that one

i don’t think you need it plugged in unless you genuinely intend to use a serial port in 2024

But it has no front panel serial... only usb's.

2 minutes ago, Mateo18 said:

But it has no front panel serial... only usb's.

What is it wired into then? It’s either serial as that was the most common use of that 9 pin, or potentially your front panel controls in one block. Which wouldn’t be too weird if the case use is from an old compaq or something.

8 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

That looks like the front panel connector all bundled into one cable (which would be cool). It would fit JFP1 on your mobo.

firefox_2024-02-04_19-24-28.png.04c389785e94cc5b41cd521261058b4c.png

That’s not it. I wired the power button and power LED separately from the rest on JFP1

2 minutes ago, 8tg said:

What is it wired into then? It’s either serial as that was the most common use of that 9 pin, or potentially your front panel controls in one block. Which wouldn’t be too weird if the case use is from an old compaq or something.

It is an old compaq. But, there also comes a wire from the powerbutton directly and from the pwr led. Are there just 2 options or how does this work? I can’t see the wiring well because of the floppy drive in front of it…

5 minutes ago, Mateo18 said:

It is an old compaq. But, there also comes a wire from the powerbutton directly and from the pwr led. Are there just 2 options or how does this work? I can’t see the wiring well because of the floppy drive in front of it…

The only other thing I think it could be would maybe be FireWire 400 with a 9 pin. Though seeing that unshielded with a ribbon cable would be very uncommon.

IMG_1777.jpeg.6888021ec192a5b3c14690f38d22fbb1.jpeg

figure out where it goes and there’s your answer, it’s not usb, if you don’t have a serial port it’s not serial

6 minutes ago, 8tg said:

The only other thing I think it could be would maybe be FireWire 400 with a 9 pin. Though seeing that unshielded with a ribbon cable would be very uncommon.

IMG_1777.jpeg.6888021ec192a5b3c14690f38d22fbb1.jpeg

figure out where it goes and there’s your answer, it’s not usb, if you don’t have a serial port it’s not serial

I’m almost 100% sure it goes to the usb’s. Here are some pictures of where the cable goes.

8ACE1AAB-00E5-4BE0-B9BA-18DE9D699655.jpeg

88DAF23F-6BE2-4DDB-8A07-67D76468EC2B.jpeg

B881B39B-EF2A-4F34-BB7D-8B4122FABD98.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Mateo18 said:

I’m almost 100% sure it goes to the usb’s. Here are some pictures of where the cable goes.

Then I’m pretty sure that’s just a proprietary usb header 

If you really wanna get it working as is, you’ll need to get out a multimeter to figure out the pin layout and rearrange the ribbon cable pin ends to match a usb 2.0 connector.