My M1 Pro 16 Gb is getting super hot, when my M1 8GB has no issues.

So pretty much the title. I have a 2021 M1 Pro 16 GB macbook, lately it seems to run hot for no good reason. It even starts to use the fans. I used two apps to check the temps and it runs at about 60-70 celsius. I attached an external monitor with 4k and told myself that could be it, but I tried to verify if it's a laptop issue using my older 2020 m1 8gb macbook pro. It stays at 30-40 degrees with the monitor on, yt video in the backround spline 3d app, everything..
What is going on, what I should do? I use this laptop more, but still, such difference, the 2021 model runs at 60 degrees even on idle.. I don't understand!

19 minutes ago, Denyl said:

So pretty much the title. I have a 2021 M1 Pro 16 GB macbook, lately it seems to run hot for no good reason. It even starts to use the fans. I used two apps to check the temps and it runs at about 60-70 celsius. I attached an external monitor with 4k and told myself that could be it, but I tried to verify if it's a laptop issue using my older 2020 m1 8gb macbook pro. It stays at 30-40 degrees with the monitor on, yt video in the backround spline 3d app, everything..
What is going on, what I should do? I use this laptop more, but still, such difference, the 2021 model runs at 60 degrees even on idle.. I don't understand!

Is usage higher?

Any background programmes?

Could be badly pasted or bad contact with cooler/heatpipes?

Is it the more used computer?

Any pets? Fans could be clogged

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Is usage higher?

Any background programmes?

Could be badly pasted or bad contact with cooler/heatpipes?

Is it the more used computer?

Any pets? Fans could be clogged

It is used a lot more, yes. It was my daily driver for about one year now and I use it between 10 - 16 hours daily.
I use arc, creative cloud is in the background too, skype, slack.
I daily use photoshop, illustrator, figma, AE and I have it connected to an external 4k monitor using usb c

Just now, Denyl said:

It is used a lot more, yes. It was my daily driver for about one year now and I use it between 10 - 16 hours daily.
I use arc, creative cloud is in the background too, skype, slack.
I daily use photoshop, illustrator, figma, AE and I have it connected to an external 4k monitor using usb c

If this is Pro vs a normal M1 then of course it will, its more powerful so generates more heat.

Apples fan profile is set to be as quiet as possible at the cost of letting the case reach the maximum legal limits for human exposure.  This is why many of us install TG Pro and override their profile to run the fans faster.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If this is Pro vs a normal M1 then of course it will, its more powerful so generates more heat.

Apples fan profile is set to be as quiet as possible at the cost of letting the case reach the maximum legal limits for human exposure.  This is why many of us install TG Pro and override their profile to run the fans faster.

Yes, but it gets much higher temps on idle even. I know the other one has 4 efficency cores and this one just two if that makes a difference. 
On idle it happens to get about 60 degrees with it on idle and in that time the other one runs spline 3d, plays a yt video and is connected to a 4k monitor and still has around 38-40 degrees.

4 minutes ago, Denyl said:

Yes, but it gets much higher temps on idle even. I know the other one has 4 efficency cores and this one just two if that makes a difference. 
On idle it happens to get about 60 degrees with it on idle and in that time the other one runs spline 3d, plays a yt video and is connected to a 4k monitor and still has around 38-40 degrees.

M1 Pro has 4 more performance cores though, so 2 more cores overall and 4 more performance cores than the M1, so it will run much hotter from the get go, graphic also runs MUCH faster producing more heat too, as @Alex Atkin UK said above, youll just need to run fans slightly faster

Also runs DDR5 RAM which runs a bit hotter than DDR4, so another cause of heat in the case

System specs:

2 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

M1 Pro has 4 more performance cores though, so 2 more cores overall and 4 more performance cores than the M1, so it will run much hotter from the get go, graphic also runs MUCH faster producing more heat too, as @Alex Atkin UK said above, youll just need to run fans slightly faster

Also runs DDR5 RAM which runs a bit hotter than DDR4, so another cause of heat in the case

Oh, I see, so this comparation doesn't work. DO you have any idea how hot this model should run normally on idle and what are his limits?

2 minutes ago, Denyl said:

Oh, I see, so this comparation doesn't work. DO you have any idea how hot this model should run normally on idle and what are his limits?

Going just by normal computers, 70C seems perfectly fine, but i have no idea about apples architecture and thermal restrictions or limitations, if its bothering you, if you up fan speeds by just a little bit if should make a decent bit of difference!

System specs:

12 minutes ago, Denyl said:

How idle?  Mine is idling 40C with the fans off, but I have very little software installed on it.  Could you have something running background services?

3 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

Going just by normal computers, 70C seems perfectly fine, but i have no idea about apples architecture and thermal restrictions or limitations, if its bothering you, if you up fan speeds by just a little bit if should make a decent bit of difference!

Under load the M1 chips will run up to around 95C.  They seem to work a lot like Ryzen 7000, they are left to run as fast as possible only thermal throttling.  You increase the fan speed, they still run hot but throttle less.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

4 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

How idle?  Mine is idling 40C with the fans off, but I have very little software installed on it.  Could you have something running background services?

Under load the M1 chips will run up to around 95C.  They seem to work a lot like Ryzen 7000, they are left to run as fast as possible only thermal throttling.  You increase the fan speed, they still run hot but throttle less.

Like not oppening any software other than what I have set on startup.
Could be the app I use the measure the temperature? What I should use?

Might be time to open it up and clean out the dust.

These arw ultra slim devices and are very easy to get clogged with dust.

39 minutes ago, Denyl said:

Like not oppening any software other than what I have set on startup.
Could be the app I use the measure the temperature? What I should use?

I'm using TG Pro but it costs money, it could indeed be I'm monitoring a different sensor as TG Pro lists everything.

35 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I'm using TG Pro but it costs money, it could indeed be I'm monitoring a different sensor as TG Pro lists everything.

Well, aparently average computer is 40 degrees and cpu 47 on idle. Did you have 40 on the average computer or cpu?

1 hour ago, Denyl said:

Well, aparently average computer is 40 degrees and cpu 47 on idle. Did you have 40 on the average computer or cpu?

image.png.4cac112f3f0f639087e3f81d52e2e4b5.png

After waking from sleep in a 21C room.

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

image.png.4cac112f3f0f639087e3f81d52e2e4b5.png

Well yeah, worse in every single way.. what should I do..

Just now, Denyl said:

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 13.58.57.png

3 minutes ago, Denyl said:

Like someone said, you could try cleaning out any dust, or even just running the fans at Max for a while as that might also clear out some dust by itself.  Mine is going to be low as I don't use it much so it wont have much dust buildup.

Overall I don't think its a problem unless some temperature is obscenely high or its causing performance problems.

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Like someone said, you could try cleaning out any dust, or even just running the fans at Max for a while as that might also clear out some dust by itself.  Mine is going to be low as I don't use it much so it wont have much dust buildup.

Overall I don't think its a problem unless some temperature is obscenely high or its causing performance problems.

I'm trying to blow the fans to max, but it doesn't get under 42 degrees.. Could the cpu have an issue?

19 minutes ago, Denyl said:

I'm trying to blow the fans to max, but it doesn't get under 42 degrees.. Could the cpu have an issue?

Blowing the fan for 10 minutes, laptop cold to the touch, closing all apps and only now it got under 40

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 14.22.53.png

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 14.23.30.png