Priorizing Integrated GPU over dedicated GPU for low performance applications.

Hoplite_LTT

Hello,

TLDR : Is there a way to use integrated GPU all the time (on a desktop PC), and to switch automatically to dedicated GPU, only when gaming or using other graphically demanding applications ?

I've built a computer last year, with an i5-12600k and an RTX-3080.
The i5 has integrated graphics so I thought my computer was going to use those in applications with low graphics requirements.
But it turns out it always uses the RTX-3080, no matter what.

Most of the time I use my computer to read pdf, use Word, Excel or surf internet.
I only need the 3080 for gaming and other applications like 3D modeling, but that's not the core of what I do with my computer.

I may be mistaken, but I feel I don't need the 3080 to be permanently running.
I think that just increases power consumption and decreases its lifespan uselessly.

So, I'm trying to find a way to use my Intel integrated GPU all the time, and to switch automatically to the RTX-3080, only when I really need it. In order to save power and avoid killing my 3080 too fast.
I know it's possible on laptops, so I think it should be possible on a desktop too.
Does anyone knows how to do that ??

Until now I've tried this :
- Asking Google
- Asking ChatGPT

- Updating all the drivers --> No Change
- Tweaking the Windows Power Plan --> No Change
- Using Nvidia Control Panel to change preferred GPU --> I don't have this option in the control panel.
- Checking if I have Nvidia Optimus set up --> Not compatible with RTX 3080.
- Looking into the UEFI --> I didn't find any relevant setting, but I'm not sure what to look for.
- Looking into my Motherboard controlling App --> Nothing here.
- Changing custom applications settings to "Power Saving" in the windows Graphics Settings --> Kinda worked, but not the way I want.

The only thing that made the integrated graphics work was the last try.
But I'm not happy with this method because it requires me to set what GPU to use manually for each application, which is tedious. I'd like it to be automatic.
Plus, the dedicated GPU is still running all the time by default. So that does not really economize. 

My specs :
- Motherboard : ASUS TUF GAMING B660-PLUS WIFI D4
- CPU : I5-12600k (1.45 Ghz integrated graphics)
- GPU : RTX-3080 (10Gb Vram)
- RAM : DDR4 32 Go, 3200 MT/s 
- Storage : 2To NVMe SSD + 4To HDD

3 minutes ago, Hoplite_LTT said:

Is there a way to use integrated GPU all the time (on a desktop PC), and to switch automatically to dedicated GPU, only when gaming or using other graphically demanding applications?

Probably not,

there might be but...

3 minutes ago, Hoplite_LTT said:

In order to save power and avoid killing my 3080 too fast.

I doubt you'd actually save much power, or meaningfully increase your GPUs lifespan.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

I doubt you'd actually save much power, or meaningfully increase your GPUs lifespan.

Thanks for your answer. I was wondering the same.
My computer is running almost 24h/24, 7d/7. That's why I am worried about that.

Could you explain more in detail why you think the benefit wouldn't be meaningful ?

You'll have 2 gpu's active instead of just the 3080 which means more idle power draw. The igpu is off off when nothing is plugged in to it when booting but the dgpu is always on.

So basically dont you wont save power and you wont extend the life of your gpu since its on anyway

the 3080 isn't stressed rendering a 2d desktop anyways, plus i'm pretty sure it will last for as long as you need to use it(as modern electronics tend to do) until you consider it obsolete and upgrade