Should I buy used Camera lenses?

Hello Forum! 😀

I'm buying my first lens and to my surprise used lenses are literally coming in at half or less than half the price of new lenses. It seems kinda too good to be true, does anybody have any experience in purchasing used camera lenses/gear? kudos if you bought from the same site I'm looking to order from. I don't know if they're trustworthy, the site is called MPB.com

Lens: Canon RF 24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM, Camera: Canon R50 

Generally used lenses are fine as long as there not abused. Lenses can last a long time. MPB generally have a pretty good reputation for selling uses lenses.

The prices I see on MBP aren't that good for that lens, and canon refurb has sold the lens for mid 100s.

WIth a crop body I'd probalby pick a different lens, like a rf-s 18-150 as 24mm on crop isn't that wide, and the 18-150 is a faster lens too.

19 minutes ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

Hello Forum! 😀

I'm buying my first lens and to my surprise used lenses are literally coming in at half or less than half the price of new lenses. It seems kinda too good to be true, does anybody have any experience in purchasing used camera lenses/gear? kudos if you bought from the same site I'm looking to order from. I don't know if they're trustworthy, the site is called MPB.com

Used lenses are absolutely worth it. Especially for special lenses that are no longer made. There are so many great lenses from history. My favorite is a Nikkor 50 1.4 s.c from the 1950's. My oldest is from the late 1890's.

13 hours ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

Hello Forum! 😀

Absolutely, it’s a great way to get fantastic gear for a huge discount, and most of the time if its well cared for and you care for it as well you can eventually flip it for essentially exactly wher you paid for it.  It’s why investing in glass is so much better than the camera itself.  

22 hours ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

Hello Forum! 😀

So long as the lens is in working condition, there's nothing wrong with saving a "few" bucks buying used. In fact, it's better for the environment for us to avoid creating yet even more waste, so buying used saves you money and is good for society.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 1/4/2024 at 6:22 AM, Electronics Wizardy said:

WIth a crop body I'd probalby pick a different lens, like a rf-s 18-150 as 24mm on crop isn't that wide, and the 18-150 is a faster lens too.

Do you think I should get that rf-s 18-150 instead? I mostly focus on cinematography and in general video. I'd like something sharp and clear. Or would you recommend another camera like the R10 or R7?

2 hours ago, Supreme Calamitas said:

Do you think I should get that rf-s 18-150 instead? I mostly focus on cinematography and in general video. I'd like something sharp and clear. Or would you recommend another camera like the R10 or R7?

I'd say a 18-150 is a pretty good main lens for rf crop cameras.

the r10 and r7 are better cameras and if you want to do 4k60, id get a r7 for the no crop 4k60. The r7 also gets you clog if you want to use that. If your not using those features typically lenses are better to spend money on if you goal is better image quality.

Agree with all of the comments above I may just add :

if you plan to buy lenses in a more ruff condition, it can be a way to get huge discounts, and sometimes just a bit of dust is not that bad for picture quality, sometimes even unnoticeable. Just avoid fungus at all cost. Not only they dégrade picture quality, but they can spread and contaminate your other lenses. Those are often dirt cheap but if you do not want to open them up and repair them do not buy them, even if it does not dégradé picture quality and costs almost nothing

• 2 months later...

A bit late jumping in here, but you can also easily get an EF lens to RF mount adapter and take advantage of the massive catalogue of EF lenses. The EF lens mount has been in use by canon since 1995, so in general you can find great deals on lenses that may have older focus and stabilization systems, but still have great glass.