Are Noctua NF-F12's cost justifiable?

AustinTheIntern

Not sure if that's the model name, but,

Discuss...

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

As long as you don't mind the looks Noctua fans are worth the money.

They are the best mainstream brand out there.

And...so what if you have a windowed panel...

My Best 2013 Bitfenix Prodigy Build  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy White | Motherboard: ASRock Z77E-ITX | CPU: Intel i7 3770k | CPU Cooler: H100i | GPU: GTX 690

Fan Controller: Bitfenix Recon | Ram: Patriot IEM 16GB @ 1600mhz | Primary Storage: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Backup Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Seasonic X850

And...so what if you have a windowed panel...

You go with a military themed build lol. That's where noctua fans fit in. Other then that try to hide them :p Use them as front intakes only since you can't see your front intake most of the time.

Join the LinusTechTips Star Citizen Org :D ~ https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/UOLTT

For a fan, they are quiet and don't sacrifice performance

You go with a military themed build lol. That's where noctua fans fit in. Other then that try to hide them :P Use them as front intakes only since you can't see your front intake most of the time.

So...C70? Or what else?

I'd rather get Silverstone Air Penetrators or Corsair SP120s instead as my setup just wouldn't match with the Noctuas, plus I don't think the extra money is worth a couple of degrees difference.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

At $25 a fan with better performing fans for less, it's pretty hard to recommend them unless you want beige fans or some really quiet exhaust fans (At which point Noiseblockers are right there with Noctua with a more pleasant color scheme.)

Yes because:

+ 6 years warranty

+ performance/noise ratio

+ cable extension and Yspliter

+ LNA

+ you dont need to lube the bearing

No, if you have a suitable alternative already. Yes if you don't have any fans and you don't mind the colour. I am a really shallow person so I have been buying scythes cause the name sounds coo!

No, if you have a suitable alternative already. Yes if you don't have any fans and you don't mind the colour. I am a really shallow person so I have been buying scythes cause the name sounds coo!

Hey bitfenix sounds cool too.

Not really, Most think of the Noctuas as good all around fans, which they are, but for most applications there are fans that will best them in DBA to SP or CFM ratio, and cost less, and look better.

Actually come to think of it i know of a few fans that beat NF-F12's and pretty much every area, thats not to say the NF-F12's are bad fans, but definitely not the best or worth every penny.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Not really, Most think of the Noctuas as good all around fans, which they are, but for most applications there are fans that will best them in DBA to SP or CFM ratio, and cost less, and look better.

Actually come to think of it i know of a few fans that beat NF-F12's and pretty much every area, thats not to say the NF-F12's are bad fans, but definitely not the best or worth every penny.

Please do tell me which fans.

Please do tell me which fans.

Well it depends on the application, if your just Exhausting or intaking air with out much restriction, there are tons of fans i could list, but in the areas the NF-F12's are designed for, which would be rads and the like, Noiseblocker eLoop B12-3 and B12-4's have a better DBA to CFM ration through a rad (the actual sound itself is also less harsh on the ear), cost around the same,  and look better,  and if you want to talk about price to performance and DBA to CFM through a rad, nothing beats the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and AP-45 fans.

Although if your willing to sacrifice a bit of DBA to CFM to pay less, AP 121's and SP120 Quiet editions are just trailing the noctuas, as well as a bunch of other fans but those were mentioned so ill use them as an example. 

Edit: just check and at the same CFM through a rad the Corsair SP's were actually as good if not better than the Noctuas. (this was at 9v)

It all comes down to what your doing with the fan though, most people dont get that fans should be bought for application specific reasons, people who think Company X's fans are good at everything and are the ultimate when it comes to fans, and are the best for every application really need to realize that they've been duped by said Company'smarketing or the other people buying into said marketing.

Intel Core I5 3570K @ 4.2Ghz w/ Hyper 212 EVO Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H 8GB Patriot Viper 3 1600Mhz CL9 Gigabyte Windforce 3X 7950 @ 1100/1550 Samsung 830 128GB Seagate Barracuda 1TB Fractal Design ​Define R4 Seasonic M12II 750Watt

Well it depends on the application, if your just Exhausting or intaking air with out much restriction, there are tons of fans i could list, but in the areas the NF-F12's are designed for, which would be rads and the like, Noiseblocker eLoop B12-3 and B12-4's have a better DBA to CFM ration through a rad (the actual sound itself is also less harsh on the ear), cost around the same, and look better, and if you want to talk about price to performance and DBA to CFM through a rad, nothing beats the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and AP-45 fans.

Although your willing to sacrifice a bit of DBA to CFM to pay less, AP 121's and SP120 Quiet editions are just trailing the noctuas, as well as a bunch of other fans but those were mentioned so ill use them as an example.

Edit: just check and at the same CFM through a rad the Corsair SP's were actually as good if not better than the Noctuas. (this was at 9v)

It all comes down to what your doing with the fan though, most people dont get that fans should be bought for application specific reasons, people who think Company X's fans are good at everything and are the ultimate when it comes to fans, and are the best for every application really need to realize that they've been duped by said Company'smarketing or the other people buying into said marketing.

I like you.

Well it depends on the application, if your just Exhausting or intaking air with out much restriction, there are tons of fans i could list, but in the areas the NF-F12's are designed for, which would be rads and the like, Noiseblocker eLoop B12-3 and B12-4's have a better DBA to CFM ration through a rad (the actual sound itself is also less harsh on the ear), cost around the same,  and look better,  and if you want to talk about price to performance and DBA to CFM through a rad, nothing beats the Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and AP-45 fans.

Although if your willing to sacrifice a bit of DBA to CFM to pay less, AP 121's and SP120 Quiet editions are just trailing the noctuas, as well as a bunch of other fans but those were mentioned so ill use them as an example. 

Straight from Martin's latest fan testing I take it? Though I agree on every point, being quiet is cool and all, but when other fans move more air while being just as quiet for the same or even less. Then there's a problem.

Straight from Martin's latest fan testing I take it? Though I agree on every point, being quiet is cool and all, but when other fans move more air while being just as quiet for the same or even less. Then there's a problem.

Aha!, you caught me, yea thats what i was using as backing for all this info, although there's also a bunch of other fan test out there that show noctuas are definitely up there but not at all the best, especially when taked with specific applications that a lot of people would use them for.

Who is this Martin you speak of?

Anyways, I'm quite interested in this performance to noise ratio and how it's calculated (mostly because decibels aren't linear)

Who is this Martin you speak of?

Anyways, I'm quite interested in this performance to noise ratio and how it's calculated (mostly because decibels aren't linear)

hes one of if not the most reputable name in the WaterCooling Community, You can check his latest fan roundup here http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

They have a 6 year warranty, so I would say their cost is justifyable. Their performance may only be on par or a little better than Yates (they are quieter than Yates, in my experience), but you aren't going to get that durability with other fans.

They are quiet and they are very good fans. The only reason I'm not using them now is my fortress came with APs and they're just as good.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

hes one of if not the most reputable name in the WaterCooling Community, You can check his latest fan roundup here http://martinsliquidlab.org/2013/05/07/fan-testing-round-12/

Quote:

"I would also caution that this “Air Flow” comparison is also just approximate.  Comparing thermally would be more accurate..."

Just saying.