Wan show more of a 3hr long infomercial /hype rally for LTT store than it is a podcast

jerkwagon

Its getting a bit old,  how do you guys put up with this crap?  listening to LInus whine about how hes not making any money on the Sales, then brags about how many bags and screwdrivers he sold.  $100k+ in sales and the guy has the nerve to tell you buy other stuff so he gets better margins?   Trust me,  Linus is not losing a single dime on 95% of those products.   Maybe a few of the trash products no one wanted but thats always expected from any clothing company. 

5ffdcsguji4c1.jpg

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

I mean you don't have to watch if you feel this way. If you want the tech news watch TechLinked or go read some news articles and press releases yourself.

I personally watch for the more candid discussion and the more behind the scenes look at what happens. Most of the time it's just background noise while I'm working on something else anyway.

1 hour ago, Erioch said:

You must be new to the WAN show. 

nah, but its gettings worst by the hour.. let me tell you what a merch message is. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

Been listening to WAN show while I do household chores for... As long as it's existed probably. It's my weekend routine. And I couldn't agree less with your take.

WAN show is pretty much just an unfiltered look into the goings-on of LTT.

Yes, merch has gained focus, but there's so much discussion of random other stuff that your take can't actually be genuine.

That and the discussion about production aspects of the merch is genuinely interesting, to me as a product engineer at least.

-> Moved to General Discussion

As noted, if you don't like the content, don't watch it. The current trend of both length and merch advertising started with LTTStore becoming more prominent (2020-21 winter). The length became this massive after The Hack. In the end, it's become just glorified Twitch stream where two washed tech "journalists" are reading chat.

The glory days just after Razer Comms era are still best this show has ever offered.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

8 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Sponsorblock takes care of that and as another benefit keeps the wanshow shorter.

I need a "Luke Laughing Block" addon.  It's completely unwatchable with headphones.

5 hours ago, Mojo-Jojo said:

Yes, merch has gained focus,

I rest my case.. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

50 minutes ago, Erioch said:

I need a "Luke Laughing Block" addon.  It's completely unwatchable with headphones.

Well they could finally invest in a decent compressor. That would limit the loudest noises and if dialled in correctly also serve to make the quiet parts more audible, because sometimes, two people who have done nothing but stand in front of a camera and talk into a microphone for over a decade forget that they're being recorded and shouldn't mumble. But that would entail an amount of professionalism that goes beyond Linus' standards. The same way how turning off the lights on the set is still this manual process. 

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

18 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

Its getting a bit old,  how do you guys put up with this crap?  listening to LInus whine about how hes not making any money on the Sales, then brags about how many bags and screwdrivers he sold.  $100k+ in sales and the guy has the nerve to tell you buy other stuff so he gets better margins?   Trust me,  Linus is not losing a single dime on 95% of those products.   Maybe a few of the trash products no one wanted but thats always expected from any clothing company. 

5ffdcsguji4c1.jpg

Can I have some exemples with numbers?

One of rules for online - do not trust anyone 👍

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Asrock AB350 ITX - 64GB DDR4-3600MHz - Geforce GTX 1080 - Samsung 960Pro - Monsterlabo's "The First" - Corsair SF450

Maybe it because there's some upcoming event. You know an event were people buy gifts for other people.

19 hours ago, Nord1ing said:

Can I have some exemples with numbers?

One of rules for online - do not trust anyone 👍

i wont, only because youd have to pay me to listen to that podcast again, i know it was in  the 1st half, but Linus said how many screwdrivers and bags he sold already..  thats only 2 SKU's 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

On 12/5/2023 at 10:06 PM, DeltaBruggemann said:

I mean you don't have to watch if you feel this way.

On 12/6/2023 at 6:36 AM, LogicalDrm said:

As noted, if you don't like the content, don't watch it.

Why do people feel the need to state the obvious? 

- I don't like the latest TV show

- You don't have to watch it

- The latest album by band X is disappointing

- Well, you don't have to listen to it

- This game is boring

- You know you don't have to play it right?

Of course they don't have to watch it, it doesn't mean people should never discuss the quality of anything. And it's a discussion forum, FFS, the whole point is for people to discuss things beyond consuming them or not! And you know what? You don't have to read this thread (well, maybe @LogicalDrm actually has to because of his role 😛).

On 12/6/2023 at 6:01 AM, Mojo-Jojo said:

That and the discussion about production aspects of the merch is genuinely interesting, to me as a product engineer at least.

There's a huge difference between you liking it and it not being true - in fact, the discussions you enjoy kind of prove OP's point. Objectively, the WAN Show has grown longer and more merch-centric. Whether each of us like it or not is subjective.

On 12/6/2023 at 6:36 AM, LogicalDrm said:

-The current trend of both length and merch advertising started with LTTStore becoming more prominent (2020-21 winter). The length became this massive after The Hack. In the end, it's become just glorified Twitch stream where two washed tech "journalists" are reading chat.

Yeah, I think it boils down to them not having enough time to spend in something as unprofitable as the original WAN show. They just could no longer justify it on the basis of them enjoying it alone. It probably got close to being axed at some point (can't remember if they said so themselves), so it mutated into this more bottom-line-oriented format, which kept it alive. To some, that's a good thing; to others, it might as well have ended if this was the cost of keeping it alive.

Personally, I think I could still splice together a 60-minute show from different segments, maybe 90 minutes in a good day, that would more or less work the same way as older WAN shows for me. But until some ML algorithm does it automatically for me, it's getting harder to play it through (even as a VoD, the "good bits" could be anywhere, from news topics to random tangents off audience questions, and same goes for the "filler" - merch promotion, uninteresting merch messages, etc). Even leaving the length aside, I find myself clicking away from it more often, rather than just letting it play in the background.

-= Cleaned =-

Keep it civil. 😑

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- This game is boring

Of course they don't have to watch it, it doesn't mean people should never discuss the quality of anything. And it's a discussion forum, FFS, the whole point is for people to discuss things beyond consuming them or not! And you know what? You don't have to read this thread (well, maybe @LogicalDrm actually has to because of his role 😛).

There's a huge difference between you liking it and it not being true - in fact, the discussions you enjoy kind of prove OP's point. Objectively, the WAN Show has grown longer and more merch-centric. Whether each of us like it or not is subjective.

Yeah, I think it boils down to them not having enough time to spend in something as unprofitable as the original WAN show. They just could no longer justify it on the basis of them enjoying it alone. It probably got close to being axed at some point (can't remember if they said so themselves), so it mutated into this more bottom-line-oriented format, which kept it alive. To some, that's a good thing; to others, it might as well have ended if this was the cost of keeping it alive.

Personally, I think I could still splice together a 60-minute show from different segments, maybe 90 minutes in a good day, that would more or less work the same way as older WAN shows for me. But until some ML algorithm does it automatically for me, it's getting harder to play it through (even as a VoD, the "good bits" could be anywhere, from news topics to random tangents off audience questions, and same goes for the "filler" - merch promotion, uninteresting merch messages, etc). Even leaving the length aside, I find myself clicking away from it more often, rather than just letting it play in the background.

well said!

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

Top shelf image.

But otherwise, who cares? I like listening to merch messages because they allow DLL to talk about interesting things that don't warrant a full video. It gives a nice mostly-unfiltered look behind the scenes of the company, and honestly I like the discussion around their product process, especially now that they are delving into tools now. Also, it's the gift-giving season for North America, so focusing a lot on merch and getting the word out about sales and opportunities, so it's to be expected.

19 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Me liking it isn't mutually exclusive with OP's take being disingenuous. There's a nuanced approach to having an opinion on things.

Not liking it? Subjective and perfectly fine. Calling it a 3hr long informercial/hype rally? Actually objectively wrong.

19 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

- This game is boring

This is an awful take.

First off, people state the obvious because people create unnecessary threads like this. The same question could be asked as why to OP felt the need to tell everyone they no longer like the WAN show. The reason the world is so damn negative is because people feel the need to tell everyone else they don't like something. Guess what? I don't like Taylor Swift, but others do. I simply don't listen to her songs or buy tickets to her shows. I don't need to go on the internet and tell everyone that does like Taylor Swift that I don't.

Secondly, this thread isn't discussing the quality of WAN show, it's complaining that content within WAN show isn't what they want it to be. There's a difference. I rarely watch WAN show anymore because I also find the discussion not what I personally want it to be. I don't create a thread about it, I just don't watch.

If WAN show was struggling for viewers I'm sure they'd change it up but there must be an audience for it, that audience just doesn't include OP (or me).

48 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

This is an awful take.

First off, people state the obvious because people create unnecessary threads like this. The same question could be asked as why to OP felt the need to tell everyone they no longer like the WAN show. The reason the world is so damn negative is because people feel the need to tell everyone else they don't like something. Guess what? I don't like Taylor Swift, but others do. I simply don't listen to her songs or buy tickets to her shows. I don't need to go on the internet and tell everyone that does like Taylor Swift that I don't.

Secondly, this thread isn't discussing the quality of WAN show, it's complaining that content within WAN show isn't what they want it to be. There's a difference. I rarely watch WAN show anymore because I also find the discussion not what I personally want it to be. I don't create a thread about it, I just don't watch.

If WAN show was struggling for viewers I'm sure they'd change it up but there must be an audience for it, that audience just doesn't include OP (or me).

No, this is an awful take. If you enjoyed something or see the potential of what it could be, it's only natural to offer feedback for improvement. This is doubly true if you feel something has degraded in the qualities that mattered to you. Giving feedback is important and every content creator should welcome said feedback. Whatever the creator decides to do is up to them. But to shut it down entirely is nonsensical and everybody who tries to shut down feedback as an unrelated third party does arguably more harm than the critic.

Also, the popularity argument is nonsense. If you aim for the lowest common denominator, quality or vision be damned, you can sack the show entirely and become a content mill that churns out low quality bullshit with clickbait titles and terrible thumbnails. "It isn't for you" is a nice sentiment, but it's rarely true if something was for you but no longer is due to changes that are well worth criticizing. Again, whatever LMG decide to do with that criticism is up to them, they're under no obligation to heed any of it. But the point is that trying to shut down the criticism with trite retorts is just not appropriate. It's borderline offensive.

And you know how I know that your take is awful? You decided to chime in and voice your disapproval. This point always makes itself, because the person saying "don't like it, don't read/listen/watch it" can always be made the direct target of the same retort: Don't like my criticism? Don't read it.

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

No, this is an awful take. If you enjoyed something or see the potential of what it could be, it's only natural to offer feedback for improvement. This is doubly true if you feel something has degraded in the qualities that mattered to you. Giving feedback is important and every content creator should welcome said feedback. Whatever the creator decides to do is up to them. But to shut it down entirely is nonsensical and everybody who tries to shut down feedback as an unrelated third party does arguably more harm than the critic.

Also, the popularity argument is nonsense. If you aim for the lowest common denominator, quality or vision be damned, you can sack the show entirely and become a content mill that churns out low quality bullshit with clickbait titles and terrible thumbnails. "It isn't for you" is a nice sentiment, but it's rarely true if something was for you but no longer is due to changes that are well worth criticizing. Again, whatever LMG decide to do with that criticism is up to them, they're under no obligation to heed any of it. But the point is that trying to shut down the criticism with trite retorts is just not appropriate. It's borderline offensive.

And you know how I know that your take is awful? You decided to chime in and voice your disapproval. This point always makes itself, because the person saying "don't like it, don't read/listen/watch it" can always be made the direct target of the same retort: Don't like my criticism? Don't read it.

I mean the OP went through the trouble of making a stupid image of Linus and Luke and you're calling that feedback for improvement...

You're just spouting the same rubbish that OP and the person I quoted did. Not happy something isn't your way and whinging about it. Grow up, move on to something else, no-one cares about your opinion, and LTT makes it clear that if you don't like their content, don't watch.

OP isn't complaining about the quality degrading as I've already stated, they're complaining about the content and how they'd prefer different content in the WAN show.

Your comparison to low-quality clickbait is non-sensical. WAN show isn't that, it's a show were 2 guys talk about tech and the inner workings of LTT. It's not clickbait at all. This is just content that is for some people and not for others. It's not tricking people into watching it. It's not low-effort trash. Your comment is like saying people who don't like Star Wars are morally correct because Star Wars being popular is because they pander to lowest common demoninator. WAN Show is 2 executives at a company taking 4 hours out of their time on a Friday evening to talk tech. It's clearly a passion project for the 2 of them. Why should they change it because a couple people don't like it?

This thread is not about feedback or constructive criticism at all. It's just complaining that WAN show focuses more on LTT Store more now. WAN show has changed, deal with it.

And your last sentence is utter drivel.

In the three times I've looked at this thread since you posted, your response has grown exponentially from just a one-liner insult to what it is now. Don't think I haven't noticed the edits.

35 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

I mean the OP went through the trouble of making a stupid image of Linus and Luke and you're calling that feedback for improvement...

It's an apt illustration, because the scene this is referring to from Spaceballs is about excessive marketing and merchandising. It's directly part of the core argument OP is raising. It's ok if you don't get the reference if you have never seen that particular movie, but to anyone who has, this is part of the feedback.

You're just spouting the same rubbish that OP and the person I quoted did. Not happy something isn't your way and whinging about it. Grow up, move on to something else, no-one cares about your opinion, and LTT makes it clear that if you don't like their content, don't watch.

You mean, like you're moving on from this conversation and no longer engaging in it, even though you're not happy how it's not going your way?

OP isn't complaining about the quality degrading as I've already stated, they're complaining about the content and how they'd prefer different content in the WAN show.

Yes, they're complaining about the qualities of the show they care for going down. That's how criticism works. Padding out content with endless marketing is a decline in quality if your definition of quality postulates that ads are low quality content. You're trying to forcibly create a distinction without a difference here and pretend that complaining about excessive marketing is somehow uncalled for.

Your comparison to low-quality clickbait is non-sensical. WAN show isn't that, it's a show were 2 guys talk about tech and the inner workings of LTT. It's not clickbait at all. This is just content that is for some people and not for others. It's not tricking people into watching it. It's not low-effort trash. Your comment is like saying people who don't like Star Wars are morally correct because Star Wars being popular is because they pander to lowest common demoninator. WAN Show is 2 executives at a company taking 4 hours out of their time on a Friday evening to talk tech. It's clearly a passion project for the 2 of them. Why should they change it because a couple people don't like it?

I didn't compare WAN show to clickbait. I specifically said that if you want to argue that popularity is what proves them right (which you did), they should abandon the current format and become a content mill that produces low-quality clickbait nonsense, given that they're also popular. This whole tangent of yours is a complete non sequitur.

This thread is not about feedback or constructive criticism at all. It's just complaining that WAN show focuses more on LTT Store more now. WAN show has changed, deal with it.

Ah yes, the typical retort how "it's not constructive criticism". Do me a favor here and tell me how exactly constructive criticism would look like if I wanted to tell LMG that WAN show contains too much advertisement for their products? Because I see this so often, where people dismiss criticism by claiming that it's "just complaining and not constructive".

Also, some more questions: Why do you even care? You said yourself you don't watch WAN show and lauded yourself on your ability to not create a thread to voice said opinion. Why did you choose to still chime in in a thread about it if you don't care about WAN show? You don't watch it, so do you even have proper context for what you're arguing for if you don't watch it? Seems weird that you don't care for the show but somehow really care if others have an opinion about it in public. An opinion which, nota bene, you could just ignore and move on. You know, like people could just not criticise WAN show and move on, right?

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, Avocado Diaboli said:

In the three times I've looked at this thread since you posted, your response has grown exponentially from just a one-liner insult to what it is now. Don't think I haven't noticed the edits.

It's an apt illustration, because the scene this is referring to from Spaceballs is about excessive marketing and merchandising. It's directly part of the core argument OP is raising. It's ok if you don't get the reference if you have never seen that particular movie, but to anyone who has, this is part of the feedback.

You mean, like you're moving on from this conversation and no longer engaging in it, even though you're not happy how it's not going your way?

Yes, they're complaining about the qualities of the show they care for going down. That's how criticism works. Padding out content with endless marketing is a decline in quality if your definition of quality postulates that ads are low quality content. You're trying to forcibly create a distinction without a difference here and pretend that complaining about excessive marketing is somehow uncalled for.

I didn't compare WAN show to clickbait. I specifically said that if you want to argue that popularity is what proves them right (which you did), they should abandon the current format and become a content mill that produces low-quality clickbait nonsense, given that they're also popular. This whole tangent of yours is a complete non sequitur.

Ah yes, the typical retort how "it's not constructive criticism". Do me a favor here and tell me how exactly constructive criticism would look like if I wanted to tell LMG that WAN show contains too much advertisement for their products? Because I see this so often, where people dismiss criticism by claiming that it's "just complaining and not constructive".

Also, some more questions: Why do you even care? You said yourself you don't watch WAN show and lauded yourself on your ability to not create a thread to voice said opinion. Why did you choose to still chime in in a thread about it if you don't care about WAN show? You don't watch it, so do you even have proper context for what you're arguing for if you don't watch it? Seems weird that you don't care for the show but somehow really care if others have an opinion about it in public. An opinion which, nota bene, you could just ignore and move on. You know, like people could just not criticise WAN show and move on, right?

If I was trying to hide the edits I wouldn't have posted them, so don't try to act clever like you're catching me out. It's just the way I post.

I'm not going into massive detail with this reply, because quite frankly I cba. You won't change your mind and I won't change mine. You're comparing discussions about LTT Store products to marketing. Some people like that content. I enjoy watching them talk about the bag and the screwdriver. I find it interesting. It's not marketing to me as I'll never buy them. So yes it is a content preference, not a quality issue.

You're comparing my replies to this thread to the original post, which just shows how little you understand what is going on. The OP is complaining about something they don't like, someone told them to simply not watch and was told that isn't valid. I'm just stating how I think that is valid. The world is too negative, people think having the right to whinge is the most important thing in life. I can already tell by your replies that you're not the type of person I want to have a discussion with. You do you, I'll do me. Good day.