Wan show more of a 3hr long infomercial /hype rally for LTT store than it is a podcast

jerkwagon
9 minutes ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

If I was trying to hide the edits I wouldn't have posted them, so don't try to act clever like you're catching me out. It's just the way I post.

I'm not going into massive detail with this reply, because quite frankly I cba. You won't change your mind and I won't change mine. You're comparing my replies to this thread to the original post, which just shows how little you understand what is going on. The OP is complaining about something they don't like, someone told them to simply not watch and was told that isn't valid. I'm just stating how I think that is valid. The world is too negative, people think having the right to whinge is the most important thing in life. I can already tell by your replies that you're not the type of person I want to have a discussion with. You do you, I'll do me. Good day.

Again, if you think it's valid to shut down complaints by telling someone to just not engage with the thing they're complaining about then you should do the same! Don't engage with this thread. You clearly don't like the criticisms that were raised. Practice what you preach. That's the inherent irony of this line of argument, whenever you tell someone to shut up about something and just move on, you make yourself the target of that same cudgel.

It's clear that you have trouble accepting this cognitive dissonance, which is why you try so desperately to create distinctions where there are none or just feebly resort to personal attacks like me apparently lacking understanding but you doing absolutely nothing to improve on that state. This is the typical defensive posturing of someone who realizes they've argued themselves into a corner and can't just admit that what they said was either incorrect or hypocritical. That's why you also can't answer my simple questions. I'm not here to convince you that your line of reasoning isn't correct. I just gave you a taste of your own medicine. What you do with that is up to you.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

On 12/6/2023 at 10:57 AM, Nord1ing said:

Can I have some exemples with numbers?

One of rules for online - do not trust anyone 👍

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxF3SyQigQQ6QHcXIHCgTzAaRCNpaqiIw9?si=Ebf3X2WncpCuZ9D6

thousands, so ill go with the bare minimum of 2.   2000x$69 is $138k. im not going to sift through the entire infomercial again, but yes. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

4 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

I mean the OP went through the trouble of making a stupid image of Linus and Luke and you're calling that feedback for improvement...

You're just spouting the same rubbish that OP and the person I quoted did. Not happy something isn't your way and whinging about it. Grow up, move on to something else, no-one cares about your opinion, and LTT makes it clear that if you don't like their content, don't watch.

OP isn't complaining about the quality degrading as I've already stated, they're complaining about the content and how they'd prefer different content in the WAN show.

Your comparison to low-quality clickbait is non-sensical. WAN show isn't that, it's a show were 2 guys talk about tech and the inner workings of LTT. It's not clickbait at all. This is just content that is for some people and not for others. It's not tricking people into watching it. It's not low-effort trash. Your comment is like saying people who don't like Star Wars are morally correct because Star Wars being popular is because they pander to lowest common demoninator. WAN Show is 2 executives at a company taking 4 hours out of their time on a Friday evening to talk tech. It's clearly a passion project for the 2 of them. Why should they change it because a couple people don't like it?

This thread is not about feedback or constructive criticism at all. It's just complaining that WAN show focuses more on LTT Store more now. WAN show has changed, deal with it.

And your last sentence is utter drivel.

you are way off there.   How are you able to say that im not complaining about the quality degrading?   Ive been watching LTT since 2010,  and listening to WAN show for about 3 yrs.  Like most its good filler and keeps me  up to date on things i have missed.  Do you know what a merch message is?   Let me explain it to you.  This is when  the downfall started IMO and every week it just seems like theres more and more "LTTshop" talk.  

you coment is actually an oxymoronic one, considering  you said, "OP isn't complaining about the quality degrading as I've already stated, they're complaining about the content and how they'd prefer different content in the WAN show. " then "This thread is not about feedback or constructive criticism at all. It's just complaining that WAN show focuses more on LTT Store more now. WAN show has changed, deal with it."  

so which is it?

anyway you must be too young to get the photos reference and even if you were a spaceball (white knight for linus) you have to admit the photo is pretty fucking awesome.   I am biased for sure, but my god its genius and well done. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

3 minutes ago, da na said:

okay so don't watch it? What's the big deal

the big deal is you either didnt read any part of this thread or your are a troll. this conversation is over nonetheless. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

On 12/6/2023 at 1:44 AM, jerkwagon said:

Trust me,  Linus is not losing a single dime on 95% of those products.   Maybe a few of the trash products no one wanted but thats always expected from any clothing company. 

I wouldn't be so sure about it. LTT store has a ton of SKUs, which create a lot of overhead.

For example, the 21 oz water bottle with the spout lid as a semi-custom design will cost around $3 to manufacture in China with an additional $0.30 for the custom packaging. Then you have shipping to Canada, import fees, each SKU needs to be stored and is finally put in some form of package material for shipping to the costumer costing money as well. This doesn't include the workforce to keep the warehouse running, warehouse rent, the man-hours for product design and accounting, payment fees and a whole lot of other non-directly attributed costs (damaged goods, returns, costumer support in general, tools, etc.)

Selling this bottle for $9.99 is probably not at all a sustainable business model.

They are selling the 21 oz and the 64 oz bottle for the same price. Considering that the 64 oz bottle is more expensive to manufacture (more material) and way more expensive to ship (at least 3 times the volume of the 21 oz bottle, so each shipping container can hold probably only 1/3 or 1/4 as many bottles). This tells us that they probably have a healthy margin (for the non-discounted pricing) and that the overhead costs in Canada are a pretty big chunk compared to the raw manufacturing cost.

2 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

I wouldn't be so sure about it. LTT store has a ton of SKUs, which create a lot of overhead.

For example, the 21 oz water bottle with the spout lid as a semi-custom design will cost around $3 to manufacture in China with an additional $0.30 for the custom packaging. Then you have shipping to Canada, import fees, each SKU needs to be stored and is finally put in some form of package material for shipping to the costumer costing money as well. This doesn't include the workforce to keep the warehouse running, warehouse rent, the man-hours for product design and accounting, payment fees and a whole lot of other non-directly attributed costs (damaged goods, returns, costumer support in general, tools, etc.)

Selling this bottle for $9.99 is probably not at all a sustainable business model.

They are selling the 21 oz and the 64 oz bottle for the same price. Considering that the 64 oz bottle is more expensive to manufacture (more material) and way more expensive to ship (at least 3 times the volume of the 21 oz bottle, so each shipping container can hold probably only 1/3 or 1/4 as many bottles). This tells us that they probably have a healthy margin (for the non-discounted pricing) and that the overhead costs in Canada are a pretty big chunk compared to the raw manufacturing cost.

overhead isnt a factor in the price. thats just a cost of business.  At $3.30 plus shipping, $9.99 is still a profit. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

7 hours ago, AbsoluteWoo said:

comparing discussions about LTT Store products to marketing

It is marketing. Any time they talk about their own products or mention ltt store, that's advertising and therefore marketing.

It's not marketing to me as I'll never buy them.

But is still marketing.

You're comparing my replies to this thread to the original post, which just shows how little you understand what is going on.

So explain it, you keep gong around in vague circles without saying anything.

Normally, I disagree with the defense of "if you don't like it, don't watch it" because showrunners DO take notice of audience reaction and course correct.

However... this is a podcast about two dudes occasionally talking about tech news and hanging out. Seriously just don't watch it if you don't like it. WAN Show is more about them catching up with each other and for LTT fans to hear banter and ask questions.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

12 hours ago, jerkwagon said:

overhead isnt a factor in the price. thats just a cost of business.  At $3.30 plus shipping, $9.99 is still a profit. 

If you are looking for VC money, you might frame it like this. In the real world not so much. For your $3.30 you just get the bottle with packaging sitting on a factory floor by the hundreds in China. Are LTT store costumers picking up their orders by themselves in China? The last time I checked not so much.

@jerkwagon

If you want to spend three hours of your time learning about various topics, even technology, Joe Rogan's podcast is a great way to understand more about many aspects of our life.

There is a episode about cobalt mineral mining #1914, and elon musk has done at least two episodes.  There is also one about the Mosaic web browser, and the development of it, the software that Internet Explorer was originally based on in the 90s.

#2062 is a great one and there are a lot of educational episodes about health with various guests and a few with Andrew Huberman.  Did you know that taking a nearly freezing cold shower (40-50 degrees F) for three to four minutes can double or triple dopamine production, and last for a few hours?

There is so much you could be learning, #1109 Mathew Walker is a great one, my favorite of all the episodes.  It goes over in deep detail why you need more than 6 hours of sleep, and what will happen to your health both mentally and physically, if you don't.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

9 hours ago, saintlouisbagels said:

However... this is a podcast about two dudes occasionally talking about tech news and hanging out. Seriously just don't watch it if you don't like it. WAN Show is more about them catching up with each other and for LTT fans to hear banter and ask questions.

This was a podcast about 2 dudes talking tech.  Now its commercial to sell merch and in between merch talk they talk about tech news.   it was 90%/10% before its like 60/40% now.  almost have of the last one i listened to was merch related. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

32 minutes ago, E-waste said:

@jerkwagon

If you want to spend three hours of your time learning about various topics, even technology, Joe Rogan's podcast is a great way to understand more about many aspects of our life.

There is a episode about cobalt mineral mining #1914, and elon musk has done at least two episodes.  There is also one about the Mosaic web browser, and the development of it, the software that Internet Explorer was originally based on in the 90s.

#2062 is a great one and there are a lot of educational episodes about health with various guests and a few with Andrew Huberman.  Did you know that taking a nearly freezing cold shower (40-50 degrees F) for three to four minutes can double or triple dopamine production, and last for a few hours?

There is so much you could be learning, #1109 Mathew Walker is a great one, my favorite of all the episodes.  It goes over in deep detail why you need more than 6 hours of sleep, and what will happen to your health both mentally and physically, if you don't.

i used to listen to JRE, i stopped atfter spotify because i use google and i dont need another podcast app.   Since i stopped listening to him, i have also not missed him. hes been replaced with LEX, 

thanks for the tips. i appreciate it!

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

1 hour ago, E-waste said:

Joe Rogan's podcast is a great way to understand more about many aspects of our life.

This is a joke, right?

29 minutes ago, Erioch said:

This is a joke, right?

No, this is Patrick. (sorry couldn't help myself)

I do see the point of the merch filling up a lot of the show but with the added length & them moving a bulk of that towards the end half of the show. I don't have much issue with it, seeing as the overall show is rarely under 3 hours long. I also personally love hearing about the development & what they are working on so, I do hold some bias seeing as this doesn't annoy me in the slightest.

High chance of message being edited, mostly to add clarification or fix typos.

1 hour ago, jerkwagon said:

This was a podcast about 2 dudes talking tech.  Now its commercial to sell merch and in between merch talk they talk about tech news.   it was 90%/10% before its like 60/40% now.  almost have of the last one i listened to was merch related. 

And still almost the same amount of the people watches them - face it, if they can make more buck by doing something they like, they WILL do it. It is as simple as that.

If the viewership would plummet, well it is different story, but so far the formula checks out for them so why would they change it? Because "dozens" on the internet say so?

That is why "don't like - don't watch" is so crucial in this situation - views are the most important metric for content creator.

I for one do not mind the new formula - I just skip merch topics I am not interested in, which happen extremely rarely, mind you. And I never bought anything from them and do not plan to 😛

I would recommend not watching it live, and using the timestamps to watch parts you find interesting.

I absolutely agree that merch has become a really big part of it, and I get why, but I find it mostly uninteresting.

55 minutes ago, Neroon said:

I would recommend not watching it live, and using the timestamps to watch parts you find interesting.

I absolutely agree that merch has become a really big part of it, and I get why, but I find it mostly uninteresting.

i generally listen to it on YT  and in my car..

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

22 hours ago, Erioch said:

This is a joke, right?

This is in response to Joe Rogan's podcast being educational.

Why would that be a joke?

I would like to suggest episodes from memory that I really learned a significant amount as there are many to choose, and can seem overwhelming.

#1109 Mathew Walker, it discusses the importance of sleep, and the changes a lack of sleep (6h or less) will incur.

There are a few from Andrew Huberman as well as many guests in the 1600s range talking about health.

#1599 Tulsi Gabbard talks openly about how politics is like finding your group of friends in highschool, and you'll be sneared at for hanging around people on another political view, even if it is congratulating them for doing yoga, with a simple high five.

Jumping ahead, #1914 as written in my signature, is about mineral mining and electronic waste.

#2032 is about Hawaii and may be a bit too dark for some, so I would advise caution.  It refers to a large fire and not enough available water.  You'll learn why there was not enough water.

#2062 is not as serious, but also quite important as it talks about our food industry, and soil health.

If you setup a spotify account for accessing Joe Rogans podcast, you can read short descriptions of each episode.  It usually does not describe what the episode will discuss, so you have to listen to them if you want to know.

There are many great episodes and nobody can possibly be aware or remember what all 2000 of them are about, so look around and just start downloading some that seem interesting.

: JRE #1914 Siddarth Kara

How bad is e-waste?  Listen to that Joe Rogan episode.

"Now you get what you want, but do you want more?
- Bob Marley, Rastaman Vibration album 1976

Windows 11 will just force business to "recycle" "obscolete" hardware.  Microsoft definitely isn't bothered by this at all, and seems to want hardware produced just a few years ago to be considered obsolete.  They have also not shown any interest nor has any other company in a similar financial position, to help increase tech recycling whatsoever.  Windows 12 might be cloud-based and be a monthly or yearly fee.

Software suggestions

Just get f.lux [Link removed due to forum rules] so your screen isn't bright white at night, a golden orange in place of stark 6500K bluish white.

released in 2008 and still being improved.

Dark Reader addon for webpages.  Pick any color you want for both background and text (background and foreground page elements).  Enable the preview mode on desktop for Firefox and Chrome addon, by clicking the dark reader addon settings, Choose dev tools amd click preview mode.

NoScript or EFF's privacy badger addons can block many scripts and websites that would load and track you, possibly halving page load time!

F-droid is a place to install open-source software for android, Antennapod, RethinkDNS, Fennec which is Firefox with about:config, lots of performance and other changes available, mozilla KB has a huge database of what most of the settings do.  Most software in the repository only requires Android 5 and 6!

I recommend firewall apps (blocks apps) and dns filters (redirect all dns requests on android, to your choice of dns, even if overridden).  RethinkDNS is my pick and I set it to use pi-hole, installed inside Ubuntu/Debian, which is inside Virtualbox, until I go to a website, nothing at all connects to any other server.  I also use NextDNS.io to do the same when away from home wi-fi or even cellular!  I can even tether from cellular to any device sharing via wi-fi, and block anything with dns set to NextDNS, regardless if the device allows changing dns.  This style of network filtration is being overridden by software updates on some devices, forcing a backup dns provuder, such as google dns, when built in dns requests are not connecting.  Without a complete firewall setup, dns redirection itself is no longer always effective.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, jerkwagon said:

anyway you must be too young to get the photos reference and even if you were a spaceball

I'm old enough to get it and I think it was a stupid image.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:56 AM, jerkwagon said:

(white knight for linus)

Is that your response to everyone who disagrees with you?

Or you know just catch the clips later in the week so you can decide which parts to watch. Its 3 hours, so I don't think anyone is listening to every word the whole time. The bulk of people have it on in the background and tune in when they hear something they like.

Oh and the margins on the products we have no idea. When Linus says he is losing money, he might think in grand scheme of the over head with labs etc. Until labs starts making money on its own.