Survey for my engineering class

jakershaker13

Hey guys,

I am a senior in HS. I am working with a group of people in my Project Lead The Way EDD Class on issues relating to phone chargers. We have assembled this survey to gather data on how people feel about phone chagers. If you would please take no more then 5 minutes out of your day to help my team out, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
https://forms.gle/2hAzDBsaWeZiJuQQ9

Jakershaker13

17 minutes ago, jakershaker13 said:

Hey guys,

I am a senior in HS. I am working with a group of people in my Project Lead The Way EDD Class on issues relating to phone chargers. We have assembled this survey to gather data on how people feel about phone chagers. If you would please take no more then 5 minutes out of your day to help my team out, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
https://forms.gle/2hAzDBsaWeZiJuQQ9

Jakershaker13

I love PLTW, and I love that you are getting into engineering.

What is a charger?
The first question asks about ports, or possibly cables, and calls it a charger, I have no idea what the second question is referring to because I can't replace a port. 
Are you asking about the Wallwart PSU in question 2, the actual thing that charges your device? cause I dont even use those. 

And when you are asking about size in the last question, Like the size of a piece of tape?

When making a survey, you need to be careful with your questions and use the correct terms for things to not have noise in your responses. 

FYI a cable IS NOT a charger. a couple of people conflate it, but most do not. Often you can figure out what that person actually means with context, but surveying you want to take the ambiguity out of it.

For the question asking about how much you would spend, you need to put a timetable on it. a value proposition for a person changes based off that, as well as the engineering goals and targets.

3 minutes ago, starsmine said:

I love PLTW, and I love that you are getting into engineering.

What is a charger?
The first question asks about ports, or possibly cables, and calls it a charger, I have no idea what the second question is referring to because I can't replace a port. 
Are you asking about the Wallwart PSU in question 2, the actual thing that charges your device? cause I dont even use those. 

And when you are asking about size in the last question, Like the size of a piece of tape?

When making a survey, you need to be careful with your questions and use the correct terms for things to not have noise in your responses. 

Hey,

Charger as in the actual cable. I tried to dumb down the wording as much as possible because the same survey was sent out to my hs and the majority of them are a bit dumb when it coems to correct terminology

12 minutes ago, jakershaker13 said:

Hey,

Charger as in the actual cable. I tried to dumb down the wording as much as possible because the same survey was sent out to my hs and the majority of them are a bit dumb when it coems to correct terminology

Im not saying don't use common parlance. Please do to avoid confusing your respondents. 
Just always ask yourself if a question can be misunderstood when building these. and ask it again when you do data analysis after you get your results back, to make sure you measured what you wanted to measure. It's why surveys and polling are hard.

Dont use phrasing like dumb it down, it puts you in the wrong mindset for making questions. Your target audience are simply not experts in the field, they are not dumb. You are not trying to dumb your question down, you are trying to explain it like they are five. 

Using the phrase charger to refer to cable is... not uncommon, just confusing without context. 

I still use the Lightning cable that came with my old work iPhone 5s. The rubber coating is torn up, but it still works fine. I bought an Anker multi-port charger to replace a power strip full of individual USB chargers, but that was mostly for cable management and travel purposes.

Charge cables are disposable items.

image.gif.a34c9bc03411a83fa6d8dfbb81590598.gif

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

13 minutes ago, starsmine said:

Im not saying don't use common parlance. Please do to avoid confusing your respondents. 
Just always ask yourself if a question can be misunderstood when building these. and ask it again when you do data analysis after you get your results back, to make sure you measured what you wanted to measure. It's why surveys and polling are hard.

Dont use phrasing like dumb it down, it puts you in the wrong mindset for making questions. Your target audience are simply not experts in the field, they are not dumb. You are not trying to dumb your question down, you are trying to explain it like they are five. 

Using the phrase charger to refer to cable is... not uncommon, just confusing without context. 

fair enough.

Thanks for the advice!

I went through PLTW myself, great program.

I'm probably not alone and use type A or type C power supplies I've had for years and some random a-c or c-c cable. Couldn't even tell you where most of them are from, although I know at least one of my chargers is from the OG Nvidia Shield since it was Nvidia branded. That's my primary phone charger which has a a-c cable I had to buy relatively recently to make longer so I could properly anchor the cable.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

phone charger is whatever i have handy and has a fitting (or close enough) usb plug.

31 minutes ago, Schnoz said:

some completely insane, unhinged, demented people use spare laptop USB-C chargers to charge their phones at home

Hi! 😀

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Agall said:

I went through PLTW myself, great program.

I'm probably not alone and use type A or type C power supplies I've had for years and some random a-c or c-c cable. Couldn't even tell you where most of them are from, although I know at least one of my chargers is from the OG Nvidia Shield since it was Nvidia branded. That's my primary phone charger which has a a-c cable I had to buy relatively recently to make longer so I could properly anchor the cable.

Felt. A while ago my dad bought a bulk pack of USB C cables from amazon and ive been using those until they crap out (which ive had some last only a week. amazon basics amiright)

2 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

phone charger is whatever i have handy and has a fitting (or close enough) usb plug.

Hi! 😀

i use my school chrome book charger to charge my phone all the time. granted its only a 45w charger

Just now, jakershaker13 said:

Felt. A while ago my dad bought a bulk pack of USB C cables from amazon and ive been using those until they crap out (which ive had some last only a week. amazon basics amiright)

My adoption of type-c is relatively recent, only since 2018, so most the cables I have came with various devices I've bought over the years. I still even have the Oneplus 6 a-c cable which was my first type-c cable, I use it to charge my headset. Its noticeably different since its a white/orange cable.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

2 minutes ago, Agall said:

My adoption of type-c is relatively recent, only since 2018, so most the cables I have came with various devices I've bought over the years. I still even have the Oneplus 6 a-c cable which was my first type-c cable, I use it to charge my headset. Its noticeably different since its a white/orange cable.

my first real connections to USBC was in 2020 when i got my school issued chromebook. then one thing after another i got more and more USB C stuff

-> Moved to Off Topic

We only allow external surveys posted in Off Topic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, htimsenyawed said:

I done the survey but your never is just 2+ years. I can’t think of the last time I replaced my lightning cable because it was broken. I still have USB-A to lightning cables that aren’t broken but I switched to USB-C to Lightning and have used the same cable since. 

What are people doing to cords to break them so often?

If you take the cable places and are really rough on it. TBH the scale for how often you replace the cable was kind of just kind of made up on the spot because our engineering teacher wanted it to have a scale. 

Done. The only reason I've had to replace my "charger" (cable, not the charger itself), is because I use these magnetic cables and after a while, they fill up with iron sand and other garbage. Trying to clean them up can result in the tiny pins breaking. Still better than breaking the USB-c connector on my phone though. Just leave the plug inside all the time, with a phone case, it's flush, no risk of damaging anything.

But as far as an actual charging cable / charging brick... I have never once had one die on me. Not even Micro USB. They never frayed like Lightning cables tend to do, they never stopped working randomly... 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

You’re better off replacing wires than trying to replace them, they often break at strain relief anyway and soldering can alter resistances of wires which is bad if you don’t want a fire. 

On 11/18/2023 at 4:27 AM, RabbidEwok said:

You’re better off replacing wires than trying to replace them, they often break at strain relief anyway and soldering can alter resistances of wires which is bad if you don’t want a fire. 

im going to assume you mean replace and not repair which i agree but the average user dosent want to pay for morecables if they think they can repair it.

1 hour ago, jakershaker13 said:

im going to assume you mean replace and not repair which i agree but the average user dosent want to pay for morecables if they think they can repair it.

I mean you’re better off replacing than repairing.