Phone app

banana squash
Go to solution Solved by WhitetailAni,
  • A forum app
    Due to limited resources available, and the functional mobile site, there are no plans to develop an app for the site at this time.

What would be the thing mobile app gives that mobile browsing doesn't? For most it has been notifications, but those depend on your chosen browser.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What would be the thing mobile app gives that mobile browsing doesn't? For most it has been notifications, but those depend on your chosen browser.

It would pretty much be just reinventing the wheel with the addition of whatever problems arise while develpoing an app

25 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

It would pretty much be just reinventing the wheel with the addition of whatever problems arise while develpoing an app

In fairness, IPS has their own app that was in beta during last spring/summer, intended to be released  some point this year. But still, I don't know if it would be completely working with the customization we have or how big process it would be to configure it for the possible benefits.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

11 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

more themes, notifications and easier post viewing, but i see how it would be a pain to do that.

24 minutes ago, banana squash said:

more themes, notifications and easier post viewing, but i see how it would be a pain to do that.

Would app enable more themes? Someone has to make the theme still, and since forums are using much of customization, it would need to be done by our devs more likely.

As for post viewing, what are your issues? Some stuff can be tweaked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 4:18 AM, LogicalDrm said:

Only things I can think of are easy accessibility/navigation to an app that a website doesn’t have (but i do know that at least safari lets you add a website to your home screen I wish google had that, because it would be easier to tell if you got tagged/quoted or a thread that you followed gets updated, and for the sake of having it as an app. Other wise a website is easier and in some ways better.

7 hours ago, Milesqqw2 said:

Only things I can think of are easy accessibility/navigation to an app that a website doesn’t have (but i do know that at least safari lets you add a website to your home screen I wish google had that, because it would be easier to tell if you got tagged/quoted or a thread that you followed gets updated, and for the sake of having it as an app. Other wise a website is easier and in some ways better.

What do you mean with "navigation"? For the rest, you can bookmark followed content and create activity feeds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

What do you mean with "navigation"? For the rest, you can bookmark followed content and create activity feeds.

Navigation to the app, sorry about not being specific enough there.

1 hour ago, Milesqqw2 said:

Navigation to the app, sorry about not being specific enough there.

So... Like a direct shortcut from main screen? You can already do that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 12/7/2023 at 8:16 AM, LogicalDrm said:

So... Like a direct shortcut from main screen? You can already do that.

I know, I don’t think it needs an app but those are the arguments for an app. 

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

Basically lotsa younger people want apps for the sake of having apps. It's why quite a few "apps" are literally just webpages loaded in an app.

I prefer apps for the convenience of having the icon in my app drawer/searchable.

I don't use the homescreens on my phone for apps, it's all widgets. All my apps are in the dock and/or organized in the app drawer.

I just wish there was an app that acted as a wrapper for a webpage that could build apks of certain pages. There's a few that can do shortcuts but they aren't searchable and only appear on the home screen not app drawer.

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

5 hours ago, Mnky313 said:

I just wish there was an app that acted as a wrapper for a webpage that could build apks of certain pages. There's a few that can do shortcuts but they aren't searchable and only appear on the home screen not app drawer.

To me that's more steps vs pinned bookmark (the way I have it). But for less used pages, I can understand what you are after.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just so people know. If there was an app for this forum it would just be a website in an app (not even a real app, just some browser-wrapper).
You can already do that. Just bookmark the page to your homescreen, and drag the shortcut to your desired place.
Only reason navigation would be easier is because they would change the internet pages to work better in said app.
Why dont ask them to do that on the mobile version of the website.

Because of this there are no real good arguments for an app.

(Notifications should already work, if they dont, blame your browser)
(Navigation is already really good if it needs changing it can be done on the site)

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!